Syntakt slow LFO

I’d like to use an LFO (rather than parameter locking) to lower amp volume from max to 0 over the length of my pattern, currently one page with 16 trigs. I’ve read some related topics (non-Syntakt) but I’m afraid I’m still thoroughly confused by the SPD/MULT settings, so if anyone could explain how to accomplish this simple fade, maybe it will become clear. Thanks in advance.

Not that simple with Elektron !
I didn’t expect that it would be so long to answer…

I’d rather say 16 steps.
16 steps is 1 whole note.
Check value 1 in the table.

Speed 32, Speed 4 is good reference for a whole note, imho.

1. Bipolar approach

Using a SAW waveform, you need to reduce VOL to half.
Lets say VOL is 110, reduce it to 55.
Choose same value for Lfo’s depth.
Mode One.

1. Unipolar approach :

You can use Half mode to use lfos in an unipolar way. Leave VOL at max, let’s say 110, and set lfo depth to 110.
Half is half longer than one, so you have to make it twice longer, by setting Multiply to 2 instead of 4.

Unfortunately, with Saw, even with mode One and Half, lfo goes back to max value. You need to put a yellow trig, with lfo Depth and Vol set to 0. (Or set LEN to 16 steps, Amp Release to 0).
Expected mode One behavior :
Screenshot_20221112-114214_Chrome

Actual behavior :
Screenshot_20221112-114150_Chrome

1. Another approach proposed below by @DaveMech, with Amp Vol set to 0

2. Lfo Fade parameter approach, by ear :

@Humanprogram or else may shime in…
And if anyone can confirm wrong behavior for mode One and Half…

6 Likes

Set Phase to 126 on the Ramp Shape and it won’t go back to Max Value I guess

1 Like

And don’t forget the LFO.T on the trig page if the track’s sequence contains more than one trig ;). Turn it off by default and lock it to on at the first trig of the sequence.

3 Likes

Not in front of syntakt. But I think it’s best to use sawtooth in half mode and negative speed. Then adjust starting phase ( and set amp vol to 0). If you want the default to be 0 volume that is

I typically use half-cycle ramps for all parameter fades because of the behavior @sezare56 mentions above with whole or half saws. Half ramps will hold the shifted parameter after the cycle ends.

We’re recently talking about different LFO behaviors and scaling in this thread Digi Boxes LFOs Uses/Behaviors , might have some other useful tips.

When using half-cycles, the timing is easiest to key in at speed 64 (max) x bar division for the mult, in this case 1.

And Dave’s LFO T point above is another crucial one.

2 Likes

So it seems to work with half ramps indeed. @MaxB no need to shift phase finally.

Thanks everyone. Yes, the LFO.T off and then trig locked “on” on first step was key. I had success with:
wave = ramp
mode = half
speed = +63.99 (mine doesn’t go to 64 on the positive side)
mult = BPM 1

I don’t believe the Syntakt manual has that crucial table, and I think the 128 in the top left cell can get confused with “128 = whole note”. So if I understand correctly, if I want a full mode cycle to last for a 64 step sequence I’d look for the 4s in the table cells (4 whole notes ie measures). If using a half-cycle mode, I’d look for 8s. I realize all this is assume default scale and 4/4.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s why I prefer 32.
I’d like it to snap to 64 at max positive…