Syntakt to send program changes to circuit rhythm

Hi all, looking for some help here. I’d like to use my syntakt as my master sequencer, I use to use my rhythm and just send midi notes over to a bass synth, very simple. Now I’d quite like to use the syntakt but not just to trigger a loop or sample but instead if possible, to trigger scenes on the rhythm. Is this possible and if so help would be much appreciated!

Program changes are used to change a Pattern.
There is a MIDI channel for Performance macros, to control thru MIDI the encoders you’ve set, but I can’t find a CC in the manual to control a Scene.

Edit: oh wait, yore talking about the Circuit, not the Rytm.
Well, check your Circuit Rhythm MIDI implementation. But I don’t thing Program change is the key, unless Scenes means something else than in Elektron jargon.

Nothing in the documentation for the Circuit Rhythm suggests that its scenes can be triggered using MIDI messages.

Instead, you can use MIDI Program Change messages to select its Projects.

1 Like

So I just set this up right now and it sort of works. I think I need to play with it more to work the kinks out.

Like Peter was saying, you can’t control scenes over MIDI. But you can choose your project with a program change.

What that means is that you can copy your project to whatever slots you’ve got open. If you go into each project and choose a scene you want to use and save it then whenever you go back to that project you’ll go back to that scene. Now you can use program changes to go back and forth between those scenes by going back and forth between those projects.

The way it’s set up, you have 64 projects. You can either choose them with a program change of 1-64. If you do that then it’s an instant change. You’ll jump immediately to the project in the middle of the sequence. If you send a message of 65-128 then you will cue the project up and wait until whatever scene you chose is finished before changing.

The timing is kind of weird. Depending on when you send the message the sound will drop out for a moment. It’s very fast. There won’t be a pop. You’ll stay on beat. But it’s not smooth and you’ll notice.

Still, like I said, I think I just need to work the kinks out. It seems like if I send an instant change about a 1/32 note early then it sounds fine when I send it right before the first beat. Cueing worked but it didn’t sound as good.

You send program changes to the global channel on the Rhythm, which is 16. You also need to make sure that you’re set up to receive program changes and clock. You do that on the set up menu, which you get to by pressing shift and save. They’re the options on the bottom right corner. Also, it always trips me up but you press play to exit.

Let me know if all this works out for you!

1 Like