Syntakt upgrade/uplevel forthcoming!

What’s all that secret storage from the retracted “hand written spec sheet” going to be used for

comment forgot to specify. they said “1gb of sample storage” :sketchy:

2 Likes

:joy:

Don’t get too excited, Syntakt has 1 Gb (128MB) of RAM (NT5TU128M8HE chip), maybe that is what he was referring to…

Full pricer here, and it’s actually worth 150% original price. Thing is AMAZING!!!

Edit: Oops, didn’t realize how dead the thread was :smiley: Sentiment remains the same though. Syntakt is indispensable!

5 Likes

Haha, you’re not alone buddy. I was right there with you. Happened to glance at the time stamp before I too responded.

Deeper sound sculpting on the chord machine would be my main wish. Very cool machine with lots of creative potential but would be cool to get a bit more variation in the sound.

The modifiers could be interesting to develop more as well.

5 Likes

I fully agree with you. I think this would the logical next step to further expand its synth capabilities. I am dreaming of a second chord machine with something like 64 wavetables that sound a bit brighter than the current one. They don’t need to morph into each other, so it could work more like the raw machine.

4 Likes

Speaking of the chord machine, I’d love to be able to use the keyboard to set the chord (not just the root note).

4 Likes

I actually like it the way it is. Quite creative solution imo. Wouldn’t mind it if it was possible of course, just don’t feel like I need it I guess:)

I think the chord machine is great like it is, but more options never hurt anyone. What I wouldn’t mind is a few more varied timbres across the range available. Getting a purer sawtooth for example would be nice. (though I could see it being jarring when sweeping the table) Maybe if they could have two tables. The current one, and then an alternate table that had some harrsher tones. Some raw standard waveforms, some crunchy digital stuff, etc.

3 Likes

I think that the softness of the chord machine is partially to avoid aliasing. I believe that it only uses a single wave table that is not band limited, so sharp edged waves at higher pitches would cause aliasing. But in my opinion aliasing can sound good so I would like the option even if it might not always sound the sweetest.

1 Like

Agreed!

That makes a lot of sense actually.

I also agree that a touch of alias never hurt anyone, especially when there’s a filter sitting there ready to use. Two actually! Would give it a touch of the PPG. :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t see how scrolling through a list of chord names is “creative” but to each their own. :slight_smile:

I guess it’s because I’m mainly a play-by-ear piano guy that I think of chords in terms of shapes and intervals rather than their names. Being able to just “play” the chord I want would be awesome.

I think that they mean that the solution was a creative solution on elektron’s part rather than it feels creative to use that solution.

Yup. And I’m saying that a scrollable list is not a creative solution on Elektron’s part, IMO.

1 Like

When you are wanting to do 4 voice chords with only 4 parameters to govern the sound and chord structure(originally from the model cycles), and really only two to select which notes are in the chord, and you don’t want to have to totally reinvent the paradigm of interacting with the machine, it is pretty understandable how a list of chords is a good solution. Especially considering that elektron are very obviously focused on the p-locking programming work flow. Given two parameters to adjust the notes in the chord, how would you suggest to do it? I actually agree with you, and almost never use the chord mode because of this, but given the history from the model cycles to the syntakt, I totally understand why it is this way, and given the model cycles, I think it is a pretty creative solution given the scope of that device.

I personally think that there should be a overall device level rethink of scales. We are pretty close with the recent update adding keyboard folds and keys. I want to be able to lock sequences to that scale, and then be able to transpose a sequence in that scale. If they could then modify the chord mode to recognize that scale that would be perfect.

Given two parameters to adjust the notes in the chord, how would you suggest to do it?

I don’t think you need to change the number or type of parameters on the machine. I’m just asking for an alternative mechanism to set them.

One place where this could work is in step recording mode. In that mode, you can hold [func] and select a note for the current step. For a chord machine, you’re selecting the root note for the track’s default chord (major, minor, whatever). This is not a very natural way to work with chords for me.

What if instead you could just “play” the shape of the chord you want chromatically? This would be a much more natural way for me to enter a progression into the sequencer. Select the step, play the chord, select the next step I want to edit, play the chord, etc.

This means, if I play a minor C triad, I’m setting that step to note C and chord min. If I play an E major triad on another step, I’m setting that step to E and chord maj. Presumably not all combinations of keys would map to actual chords. Fine. Those combinations won’t input anything. Some valid chords may not be able to fit on the chromatic keyboard. Fine. Let me input the ones that do.

To flesh this out some more, when you’re holding func, you should be able to use the data encoder to shift the range of the chromatic keyboard by half steps. And there should be a way to toggle this behavior on and off. I would toggle it on and leave it there!

I posted this in the Syntakt feature request thread as well but might as well spread the idea far and wide lol… I l have absolutely no idea how things run under the hood but it seems like it could be possible and fairly simple to add a “scale lock” mode to the chord machine which would simply disable the chord options that don’t fit into a pattern’s assigned scale. When turning the knob or assigning an LFO to the chord select, it could simply just skip to the next enabled chord. This would require some work from the devs to carefully go through their scales and chord names and figure out what chords fit any given scale… but it’s not like there are that many chords or scales to choose from so it seems like it could be doable.

This might not help those wanting a completely new chord workflow but I think it could improve the speed and jamming capabilities of the chord machine. For those of us less musically trained, it would be nice to know that whatever chords you’re shifting thru are in tune with the rest of your pattern. But even if you are well familiar with all chord names/music theory, it could open up possibilities of randomization.

No clue how feasible it actually is, but I think it would be a cool feature and I know it would save me some time.

4 Likes

Have you tried inputting notes/chords with the MIDI machine? That UX I imagine could be maybe borrowed if 1st option of the chord macro was user. In MIDI machine mode, if you have an external midi controller plugged in, it just recognises the keys you’re holding down rather than dialling them in

1 Like