Syntakt vs MC-101?

Appreciate your feedback. :blush:

I haven’t tried the OP-Z, but your description confirms my impressions of it. I’ve learned that I’m the most productive in the DAW, so I’m looking to downsize my hardware setup and I’m careful to only pick stuff that augments the stuff I can easily create in the DAW anyway.

I think of the OP-Z more as a sketchpad kind of instrument, and I’m sure it’s great at that - but it’s not something that would have me export/record the audio into the DAW. I’d rather recreate it from scratch. Contrast this to the MC-101, which brings the unique Roland palette to my sound library, or the Digitone/Syntakt, which brings carefully sequenced FM-based phrases that I couldn’t easily create in the DAW. So that rules the OP-Z out to me because none of its output would make its way into my final songs.

If I only wanted a sketch pad, it would probably be the ideal device for me though. :blush:

2 Likes

I don’t have experience with the Roland MC line, but I do have some experience searching for that elusive “perfect” portable music making device. This post will be a little long and not DIRECTLY related to your comparison, but maybe it will be worth reading anyway as it does relate to your portable search.

My problem with that search for a more full featured portable device is that once I discovered the joys of the Elektron sequencer, everything else felt like swimming through molasses.

At one point, I had an MPC Live, and thought that I was “done” in terms of a box that would “do it all”.

But I decided to try a Digitone to see what all the Elektron fuss was about. That was it. Once hooked on the Elektron sequencer (and the sounds from the DN are indeed lovely), I started resenting any time spent on the MPC.

Also, despite the MPC’s depth, I found myself starting to rely on loops/samples, since the full MIDI sequencing workflows were becoming tedious and annoying, and falling back to punching in and out loops and samples on the MPC was not where I wanted to be with my music.

So, strategically, I picked up a Digitakt to mate with my Digitone. This gave me a sample-based box with almost identical sequencing workflows (no learning curve) and it was also NOT really a “loop player”, so the Digitakt encouraged me to use samples creatively and I could mix and match between the Digitakt and Digitone in sounds and sequencing.

Side note, I was into OTB hardware specifically for live performance, so I never really used the MPC to create full songs for passive playback, and therefore, lack of an arranger on the Digi boxes was not an issue.

Shortly (the day I received the DT), I was creating “full” sounding music with the DT/DN pair, and immediately sold the MPC Live.

My enjoyment of the DT/DN pair did not fade over the next couple of years or so, but I kept looking longingly at the AR and the A4, mainly for the idea of analog sounds with an Elektron sequencer to “complete” my setup. If only Elektron had a product that packaged some real analog fun in a Digi-type package to mate with my current DT/DN setup.

So yes, Syntakt was pretty much an insta-buy for me, and has now become my default “song starter” for the time being.

But having analog, digital machines, dedicated hybrid FM synthesis, sampling and more in three mated boxes absolutely scratches 99% of my OTB musical itches.

In terms of portability, I have discovered I’m not much of an on the train or in the park music maker. It’s only when I’m away from home or the studio for more extended periods (like vacations) that I want a music device with me, and in those cases, it will involve a hotel room with perfectly good outlets.

In those cases, I pick one or more of my Elektrons to take and even with just one box, I always have enough capability on hand to get down solid ideas when inspiration strikes.

This has been my personal journey in settling on my ideal little hardware setup, and unfortunately, I discovered that for me there was no “one box to rule them all”. The three “Digi” boxes are the best compromise for me, and in some ways, having three boxes each with more focused sound generation is a plus.

I don’t know if ANY of this helps or only adds noise to your thinking, but I hope it’s the former, and I wish you every success in finding that streamlined OTB solution that works for you.

6 Likes

For me it would come down to the kind of music you want to make. Everything that comes out of the 101/707 for me sounds like 90s techno or Synthwave, but the Syntakt just oozes more modern techno for me, which I prefer.

3 Likes

I’d generally agree, the Roland is flirting with the past, though I’d say covers a wider range, and the Syntakt is flirting with the present/future but with a more limited range. The Digitone is arguably a combination of future forward + wider range of sounds.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your perspective and journey. To be clear, it’s not so much about a “full featured portable” search for me. My intention is to work mainly in the DAW, so in a way, I’m actually looking for fewer features and a more focused workflow. Coming from the MPC, anything will be less feature-packed of course. Regarding portability, I’m like you, I don’t make music on the go and wouldn’t even consider bringing the little MC-101 with me “just in case inspiration strikes”. To me, portability just is about how easy it is to carry it around the house. The main difference between the MC-101 and the Syntakt is that one weighs 0.5 kg and doesn’t need a power brick/cable, and the other one weighs three times as much and needs the power cable. It’s a subtle difference so I’m willing to depriorize that need for the sake of creative inspiration.

To me, my search is for that (preferably) one device that 1) inspires me to make music, 2) lets me dive into sound design and 3) offers something unique, sonically, to the table that I couldn’t easily recreate in the DAW. Hope this clarifies. I still appreciate your perspective though and you hit some important notes.

Totally! The Digitone was my first re-entry into the world of music making after a a 25-year long hiatus, and it made me think differently about sequencers, synthesizers and music making overall. Going from that to the MPC was easy though, because I had some experience working in DAWs in between those 25 years. But trying the MC-101 reminded me a bit too much about the fiddly workflow of the old W-30. It seems that Roland hasn’t been transforming themselves and just like their sound palette, their workflow is a bit of a flirt with the past - in this case not in a very pleasing way. :sob::rofl:

There are definitely things I like about all three of them, and I briefly owned the Digitakt too and really enjoyed the overall punch of it. But the Digitone is the one that feels the most special to me, sonically. Emotionally, I’m drawn to the Syntakt because of the on-paper spec sheet: analog and digital, drums and synthesis, the analog effect block, the design, etc. But if I’m honest, the Digitone sounds so much more pleasing to my ears. Out of the three, which one would you pick if you could only keep one?

2 Likes

Considering portability, why not sell both and get a dirtywave m8 tracker?
Every weekend while I bring my kids to all their sport events, I love jamming on my m8 while waiting in the car.

1 Like

MC-101:

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you don’t know about the firmware 1.8 update which massively opened up the parameters you can control. 4 partials, multiple envelopes for each one, the ability to replace any or all of the oscillators with samples …

4 Likes

Ooh, picking just one of the three at this point is like a Sophie’s Choice. I love all three for different reasons.

That said, I feel like I could still survive without the Digitakt, and even though the Syntakt is fresh to me and is my current go-to song starter, the Digitone might be the one I would keep. Polyphony, deep FM/hybrid sound sculpting, plus there’s a certain unique beauty that’s easy to coax from it.

But ask me again tomorrow and I’ll likely give you a different answer. The DT/DN/ST trio are like my electronic music children and I love them all. Even now, I’m thinking about the ST analog voices, some of the unique digital machines and the analog fx block that I wouldn’t want to do without now, or the layering and mangling of sampled content that the DT lets me do with ease. Plus, with multiple Elektrons, full sets with more creative transitions and shifts in sonic focus are so much easier with the option of treating each as a “deck” to easily mix and match content.

Gah!

1 Like

I agree with most of this although I think I like the sound of the MC101 a little less than you do, and the sound of the Syntakt a little more.

For me the MC101 is a perfect table/couch sketch machine, with which I’ve started a bunch of ideas and then dumped midi into the DAW for further arrangement and elaboration. I don’t use the MC101 audio in production because I prefer the versions of those kinds of sounds I get from the best softsynths such as Model 84, Tal-J-8 etc.

I was drawn to the Syntakt, on the other hand, by the warmth and heft of its analogue side. In the first few days with it I’ve found it much easier to grok basic sequencing than with the MC101 and it leads to different (often more aleatory/happy accident) ideas. I intend to use it primarily as another table-bound sketchpad away from the DAW but some of those sounds (analog kick/snare, dual VCO at least) are meaty enough for me to consider using in a final production too. (Haven’t used Overbridge yet but the way that is supposed to work was another attraction.)

So I’m keeping both! I am considering whether the Syntakt now makes my TR6S redundant, though.

1 Like

There really is something unique about all three of them. It sounds like using the trio to create full performances, so it only makes sense that you would want to keep all three. And you should! In comparison, I’m looking for one box to rule them all to add some spice and creative flow to the music I’ll then arrange and make full in the DAW instead.

There you go. I think I feel the same way. But then I do love the PWM and analog grit of the analog part of the Syntakt too, even though I find the Syntakt sound to be considerably thinner than the Digitone when comparing them overall, and I really miss the ability to layer a warm pad chord (the SY Chords machine sounds lackluster to say the least - all in my humble opinion).

If the Syntakt had voice stealing/sharing and an arp, I probably wouldn’t hesitate to pick it over the Digitone, but as it stands now the gaps are a bit too large for my particular needs of harmony in my songs.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s all very subjective. To be fair, there’s a lot of gimmicky or should I say broad sounds on the MC-101 that I couldn’t care less about. For example, I probably never will make a song featuring a harmonica or a trumpet. What I love about the MC-101 sound palette really comes down to the Juno/Jupiter/JX classics as I find them to fit into such a wide range of music. I love the Juno+JX chorus and even owned a JX-08 briefly because I couldn’t resist that sound. And the MC-101 now offers the ability to sound design JX-8P patches in the partials editor. I have made at least one or two songs that are arguably retrowave-ish, and I’m 40+, so there’s that. :joy:

But I’m definitely into other forms of synthesis too. I do find the Syntakt to sound interesting, if a little too thin. FM synthesis is hardly new in itself, but to me, it feels more interesting than the traditional subtractive synthesis. It’s also the only form of synthesis I don’t already have immediate access to in my DAW, whereas it has most other forms (subtractive, granular, additive and wavetable) so that’s another reason for leaning towards FM for my one outside-of-DAW synth.

Yeah, I’d say that with the Elektron sequencer, it would have been even more perfect. But I agree with your observation.

Indeed, the analog side of it is warmer, but it lacks PWM (only the digital SY Bits machine can do it) and doesn’t even have a pulse waveform, meaning I still need to use the digital machine when recreating some of my favorite sounds.

Overall though, I find the digital sound of the Syntakt to be a bit cold and thin. The kicks are great though, as are the claps. Full points there.

Yes, that isn’t even a contest. The Elektron sequencer is just better in every aspect but the 64 step limitation, which I can certainly live with. I’m at least 2X as fast when sketching out a song on the Elektron sequencer compared to the Roland sequencer.

Maybe I’ll keep two devices too in the end. :blush: The MC-101 offers something to my sound palette that I appreciate a bit too much to want to let go of. For now at least. But I’m definitely considering whether the Digitone isn’t a better match for me than the Syntakt. We’ll see how I feel after a few more weeks of exploring these devices.

2 Likes

Oh yeah me too, I’ve started a whole bunch of unashamed synthwave tracks on the MC101. Just that for the final product I find softsynths in the DAW get me even closer to those classic Juno/Jupiter sounds.

2 Likes

That’s true, I sold it long before :slight_smile: Ok, this makes it a better sound module

1 Like

If I had a 101 I’d be sequencing it with the Syntakt. That lack of polyphony is why I’ve been pairing the ST with Roland boutiques and more recently Opsix.

I’d say keep both of you can afford it!
101 would be fun for taking out and about, and together with the Syntakt could be a great combo.

I’ve kind of gone through a similar flourish of buying and selling gear this year too much. When I was on the fence of selling my JU-06A I spent a good couple of hours just messing around with it by itself and fell back in love with it again. I wanted the extra scratch to help make up for the Opsix, but I’m keeping it.
Maybe wait a while and spend some time with each.

Side note: I think the ST’s Chord machine is a little underrated. I don’t use it enough anyway.
It’s really good for dubby chords of course thanks to filter envelopes, but I was recently making a pad with a slow LFO on the voice balance parameter and got pretty lost in a trippy drone. Makes me happy.

3 Likes

I agree, the ST chord machine gets more negative talk than it deserves. With all the sound sculpting tools in the machine and ST signal chain, I find it quite versatile.

2 Likes

Keep both!!!

I just got done jamming with both, sequencing with the Syntakt.

I can’t tell how much I love the MC101 again after diving through the THOUSANDS of tones, but rockin the drums on Syntakt, a weakness of the 101.

And damn, those sounds in the 101are sooooo good.

It’s so liberating not having to deal with all the menu diving and shift commands now.

And you can make pseudo polyphony if you get creative.

This is right now!

7 Likes

I just saw you have this exact combo on the “Your Setups” thread. Stellar timing!
Also that we’ve both chosen black rabbits as online visages.

1 Like

Sorry for spamming on multiple threads, but I get real excited about this ish, and want to yell it to the world.

Don’t be sorry; it is exciting!
Man, if I come across a cheap 101 I may do the same.

Do it. Seriously. Or just go new if you can… prices aren’t that different.

Plus, I just did this. I can’t play the keys, but with the Syntakt keyboard scale and folding…. It’s a cheat code with a Juno 106

1 Like