T-Rex Replicator .. omg real tape

going to save up for about five years then buy one of these i reckon:

I was about to post “a company needs to use 1/8” inch audio cassette tape in cartridges, its the only viable way in 2015"

Then I see that this uses audio cassette tape in cartridges.

JAH BLESS

Always great to see any real tape product being manufactured and this is probably something I’d love. But for shows no one is going to hear the difference between this and a strymon el capistan. Which is way cheaper. And for studio I only paid £600 for my roland re201 space echo. Which was a great deal but they can be had for around £800 and I’d way prefer an re201 to this. So I’m not sure where this pedal fits in to the market except for super rich tape delay addicts! Which is fair enough if you have the money :wink:

my roomie had a recently calibrated RE-201, I thought it was quite mediocre (and I really wanted to find the love in it).

If I wanted a tape echo for the “tape” vibe, I’d get something like this any day. The circuit being able to handle line level, the tape saturate knob, and an analog chorus sell me. Plus I’d wager this outlasting the 201. If the capistan doesn’t break, 1/4" tape will surely die before audio cassette tape.

the OTO BIM has me more than happy, though :joy:

Surprised to hear you didn’t like the re-201, they’re so old and I hear they all sound different depending on the age of tape etc though. Maybe they sound better uncalibrated?!? Could be he had a bland sounding unit? I love mine. So much vibe! If I could be bothered I’d run almost everything through it. I bought it off Mungo Jerry! Tape is easily found/replaced on the old rolands. And the preamp is super nice for crunchy vintage saturation even without any tape in the mix at all. Plus you get the spring reverb. I wouldn’t write it off without trying at least one more unit :wink: not knocking this new pedal at all, it looks great, but just can’t see where it would be worth the money compared to other stuff to do the same thing live/studio, unless you could afford to buy it just for a different flavour.

Actually, there is already a competitor that came out earlier this year:

ordered this back in september. should be arriving soon-ish. there was a delay in production (dealing with the case/printing or something). really looking forward to receiving it.

ordered this back in september. should be arriving soon-ish. there was a delay in production (dealing with the case/printing or something). really looking forward to receiving it.
[/quote]
It looks awesome. Please let us know your impressions!

[/quote]
It looks awesome. Please let us know your impressions![/quote]
for sure!

[/quote]
for sure! [/quote]
fucking awesome! keen to hear about the experience on this too … also i must admit, i would prefer it if the units were using 1/4 inch tape or even larger, but anyway, still stoked.

[/quote]
for sure! [/quote]
fucking awesome! keen to hear about the experience on this too … also i must admit, i would prefer it if the units were using 1/4 inch tape or even larger, but anyway, still stoked.[/quote]
1/4" would be great but the ease of cassette is pretty amazing…for me at least. :slight_smile: this was supposed to go out on the 15th but i haven’t heard anything since my last update. i’m sure jim is working around the clock on these (considering how quickly the pre-sale batches went) so i’m not worried. a few have gone out and shown up on different forums but nothing crazy.

speaking of cassette tapes, have you all seen this!?

oh for sure, the cassette approach is potentially awesome … keen to hear some user demos