Talk me into keeping my Syntakt

I’m thinking about letting my Syntakt go, I want to love it, but so far I just don’t.

Reasons I am not in love:

• It draws me into making industrial sounds (which are not for me). I find it takes me forever to get something I like.

• The hi hats are not great. They should have added some sampled ones in there. It doesn’t need to have a sampler, but a few sampled sounds would be great.

• The clap is not for me.

• Overbridge has latency. I always work from Ableton and it is really annoying. I don’t have this problem with Digitakt.

• It feels a bit like there are unlikely to be major updates moving forward as the machine is already maxed out. I never buy something with the expectation that it will get updated but I did have some hopes as half of the voices are digital.

• It feels a bit like a jack of all trades master of none.

I really want to love it, it theoretically ticks a lot of boxes for me. I thought I’d see if anyone had any meaningful reason not to let it go.

Thanks

7 Likes

Sorry, not really helping talk you out of selling it, I feel exactly the same way about mine for all the same points. I’m planning to shelve it for a bit in the hope there is something exciting around the corner but given the raw/swarm update wasn’t very drum focussed I’m feeling it’s not quite the machine for me.

5 Likes

Install the new free Sound Pack and see if you like any Sounds.

9 Likes

Where did you hear that it’s maxed out?

I love mine, still sold it though, because I’m weird.

4 Likes

Sell it if you don’t like it. But: In my opinion it will take months to explore it deep enough to make a final decision. I had this phase with my Model:Cycles. I felt that I had heard all the sounds it could make but once I really dug into the modulation options, it kept on giving. I sold the M:C later in order to get the Syntakt, I did not regret it.

I mean, this thing has two filters and two LFOs per track - bend it to your will!

11 Likes

I think it’s a great machine but I wasn’t using mine so packed it away. I’ve used it a handful of times since getting it but it’s because I’ve been making tracks in ableton and using octatrack to focus and finishing a collection of tracks and jamming them live. I just haven’t needed to include the syntakt yet

Tempted to sell mine but nothing I want in it’s place right now

As mentioned above I will put the new sound pack on and spend some time with it when I take it back out

2 Likes

Don’t sell your Syntakt.

11 Likes

I read something about it being grumpy in over bridge as the machine was maxing the processor. I’m not technical so might well be wrong and honestly it is quite low on my list of reasons that I don’t get on with it.

Seems a bit mad to sell it if you loved it ha.

3 Likes

If you listen to the Syntakt standalone thread, do you hear anything that you like?

3 Likes

It does hit heavy and hard, but you have all the options to dial the sound in and back as you want.

I would say less is more in your case, but it sounds like your decision is made up.

The worst thing is that the machine itself should do all the convincing. Someone on here can’t produce your music or make the workflow any different.

I say sell it and clear yourself if the burden. And if you feel that you made a mistake and absolutely have to have it, but it again and let it consume you.

Your reasons are enough to not need to keep something you aren’t satisfied with.

I love mine though.

3 Likes

As always, pointless discussion since OP didn’t specify which kind of music they want to make.
A few links would be nice.

2 Likes

Here is a link to my SoundCloud.

I was pro between 2005 till 2019 when covid (and family) changed my path. I’ve been lucky enough to have quite a lot of different bits of kit over the years and I would say in my experience not many instruments are genre specific.

Syntakt can do the sorts of sounds I like, it is just somehow annoying to get there.

11 Likes

Probably going to touch on a few nerves with this, but I say sell it and put that money towards the next (hopefully…) full sized and (hopefully…) more ambitious Elektron product hehehe…
It’s (IMO…) over priced, some machines are rather weak, and the distortion sounds awful.

Overall a big ‘meh’ …

Now for anyone who loves it, completely disregard my nonsense above. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve listened! If Elektron, I’d say Analog RYTM (because you can get the 909 samples in there) - or straight up a sampler.

(… btw. I agree the hihats of the Syntakt are the weakest point …)

3 Likes

Holy moly, had no idea you are Zombie Disco Squad…tracks of yours have been in my library for years. Respect!

13 Likes

Sell it and buy an electric guitar.

3 Likes

I feel this is one of its strengths, but I like small set-ups and leaving the computer off.

Sounds like it’s neither a tool you need nor an instrument you’re gelling with.

The tracks on your SC are wicked.

1 Like

Sell it and don’t look back. Workflow and UI won’t change and no additional sound packs, new machines or Modifier and FX Block expansions will make it better. Sample your favorite sounds and move on.

1 Like

Check out the tips and tricks thread! Sometimes all it takes is one thing to ignite the spark; I learned about holding a menu and pressing yes for randomizing and it helped me repeatedly through Jamuary tbh

2 Likes

You’re saying it all right there. There is more than enough gear out there that makes the bleep bloops without annoying you.

4 Likes