Talk me out of getting a TR-08 (I own a Digitakt)

So I have a Digitakt and Octatrak that I use regularly. I have been eyeing the TR-08 because it’s cheap and I can finance it. Also, I have an 8yo who is seriously into learning drum machines and I feel like she would have more fun with a TR-08 (or Volca Beats) than my Elektron gear, which is a more complex.

Since I have 808 samples for my Digitakt, besides getting a simpler, intuitive drum machine that my kid can also explore on, are there any other reasons the TR-08 is not completely replaceable by my Digitakt?

The TR-08 replicates the user experience of programming and using an original TR-808 almost exactly which might be bit weird if you’re used to the more straightforward approach of something like a Digitakt, but also very inspiring and a lot of fun!

Especially the way you can go up to 32 steps per pattern using parts, the way you can toggle between A and B variations (or use the AB setting for 64 step patterns), and the way Intros/Fill-Ins work is interesting. Read https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-tr-08-rhythm-composer to get a good idea of what all of that means in practice.

Samples get you only so far. Leaving the ability to edit sounds by turning knobs aside, the voices on the 808 also interact in ways that are hard to replicate with samples; just try putting two kick triggers side-by-side, for example.

1 Like

Just get it.

4 Likes

I had it for a good few months but after finding all the sweet spots I wanted for my music and processing the sounds in either Live or the DT (or both) I ended up flipping the TR-08. I find that all the 808 sounds you know and love from hearing them on numerous records have been heavily processed and the original sounds aren’t all that inspiring without at least being compressed/saturated. YMMV :wink:

You could save yourself a lot of money by downloading the Samples From Mars tape processed 808 samples. I have a selection of those on my DT as well as my personal collection made from the TR-08 and some effects/additional processing. So by all means get the TR-08 but I don’t think you’ll need it after a few weeks/months of sampling it. You can always sell it again, however. No biggie

1 Like

I agree.

I see lots of TR-8 on the used market, and the prices have been falling consistently. They hover around 200-220€ here in Berlin, often with expansion packs. The other dayI saw one go for 180€. Point being, they are cheap to try but also seem to change hands a lot, I guess they are sort of limited in application and handling, which is also why the TR8s was so well received when it came out (significant upgrade in possibilities).

I’ve been toying with the idea myself, but every time I hit the music shop to play with the thing, I get bored by the feel and look of it after a few minutes and happily return to my digitakt, octatrack or mpc live.

EDIT: My bad, I see you asked about the TR-08, I thought you were interested in the TR-8

I had the TR-08 for a while. It sounded good, but in the end it was bit too cramped and fiddly. But that may not an issue for your daughter though. I would recommend the TR-8 instead. Bigger variety of sounds, and better user interface. And you still get the channels streaming over USB if that is your thing. More physical ins and outs. It comes with 808 and 909 sounds, and with the 7X7 expansion (707, 727, 606), it is basically a greatest hits of the TR style drum machine. And you can find good deals used.

1 Like

Why not a Drumbrute Impact? For the second-hand price, it’s a lot of bang for the buck. I imagine it would be pretty straightforward for kids to pick up, and Arturia gear is generally really well-built.

1 Like

if the purpose is to have fun and show your 8yo drum machines, then get it. It’s the closest thing you can get to a true old school way of programming beats. It would be great to learn the history and function of drum machines and then teach the newer tech way of programming drums with advanced machines. I think the tr-08 will hold its value for a while as well as it packs alot of punch for one machine at that price.

1 Like

I believe the TR-08 is still battery operated with a built in speaker. Probably a good choice for an 8 year old so they can play with it wherever. Also having a second drum machine in the studio is a game changer at times. Can get into poly rhythmic territory. Get it, they’re cheap!

I think the current TR- offerings can be summarizes as this:

• Just want your track sound like you used a TR-808 or TR-909? Grab one of the many, many sample packs available today. You can find great free vanilla samples, and some excellent commercial pre-processed sets that cover pretty much the entire parameter range of the original machines and most of the processing you might want to do to them.
  • Want the original sounds in a modern drum machine? Grab a TR-8 or TR-8S. Or maybe get one of the many analogue clones out there.
  • Always wanted an original TR-808 or TR-909? Get a TR-08 or TR-09 for pretty much the exact sam experience, only smaller (and more conveniently integrated into your DAW).
2 Likes

You have a DT and Octatrak, but want a TR-08? And you’d be financing it?? Dude, just say no.

5 Likes

It’s Roland. There’s your reason not to.

I know this is an old thread but I’m curious how it all worked out?… Did you get the TR-08? Did your daughter like it?

As for my take on whether or not it’s a good idea I think it depends on a lot of factors:

The TR_08 is definitely a very hands-on simple, immediately gratifying unit. Mainly because it’s got batteries and a built-in speaker and almost a one to one control set (up assuming you’re not looking at any of the extra fancy stuff they added)…and it gives a person, especially a child, a real reason to pick it up and play with it at anywhere, at any time…all the time. This cannot be understated in regards to keeping something accessible and available at all times… Versus sitting in the corner… unconnected and unused. Even if the other option (TR-8 or Digitakt) was connected to speakers and an outlet… sometimes you just don’t wanna sit over there… you want to sit on the couch or on the bed or in this chair… Children are like that… My favorite spot for watching TV as a child was the floor… Go figure.

On the other hand, it’s never a bad idea for children to learn the newer interfaces and the new technology since the whole concept of menus and multiple shift functions, parameter locks, motion sequencing, etc. etc. not only opens them up to a world of new possibilities but gets them up-to-date with the latest and greatest technologies and helps them to “future proof” their knowledge. However, this comes at the risk of boring them and making them lose interest… As making a cool drum track may no longer seem immediate, but more of a chore or a learning experience. A lot depends on your daughter and their ability to focus longer-term, versus the built-in desire of children for instant gratification.

One final note is that having them learn about samples and manipulating samples with the digitakt and the Octatrakt are just going to open up so many really interesting really fun ideas… Sampling the dog barking, or the car’s horn, doorbell, or their favorite toy and manipulating it into a drum track would be something that could provide them with immense inspiration and really increase their desire for exploration of outside-the-box thinking in regards to music and beats. Of course, the learning curve is even greater than something like the TR-8…

But then of course, nowadays the TR-8 has been discontinued and is now replaced by the TR–8S which gives sample-usage capabilities and FM synthesis… So if your child learned the TR-8, they would now be poised quite well to learn the new features of the TR-8S while still understanding the basic workflow. We’re now three+ years from the original post which makes it clear that hindsight is a wonderful thing… Too bad we couldn’t see the future back then, right? LOL!

In any case, I am curious, as I’m sure all other members are that posted or are just reading this thread how it all worked out?… What did you buy and how did it go?

1 Like

I shine in because I recently bought a TR-8S. First, I love it so far but haven’t explored the depth too much.

I like the ease of use (fast) and the jam-ability with faders a a few hands on controls.

The fact is that my daughter who is 12 started asking me “can we play techno dad?” And it’s the first time one of my kids has real interest for one of my machines. I guess the form factor with the faders- one per sound - is what did it.

4 Likes

That rules. Stoked for you and her.
And its a banging machine. I love mine.

3 Likes

Yes I’m super glad for that! Jamming with my kid is fun.

And yes, so far I’m living it, incredibly banging and inspiring in a simple and effective way.

2 Likes

Congrats, @Beek and @amaury - I think it’s really wonderful that your daughters are into drum machines :heart:. There was a quite popular thread here about how to get your kids interested in your hobby. Bottom line was: don’t push anything, it will turn them off. So cool that your daughters are interested and you can share your hobby! Would have loved a little boutique as a kid, in hindsight of course.

2 Likes