Talkin' bout Larkin

One of all time favourite tracks (that swing, that mood):

1 Like

link? :slight_smile:

edit: I think I found it haha

3 Likes

I had never heard the Dark Comedy stuff before, this is great. Kinda messy, raw. Excellent.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s gotta be it (was a while ago I read it). It probably ballooned in my mind a little bit over time, doesn’t look quite as bad when I read it now.

great timing, my partner just picked up a KL record from gramaphone this week :fire: loving all this

Ah yes, a popular topic in checks notes an electronic music production forum. :joy:

insta-buy

1 Like

I’ve mentioned Kenny Larkin to several people over the last few years who know a lot about “good” music, have large record collections; one even grew up in Detroit and listened to Electrifying Mojo (I asked him this just the other day) back in the day, etc. and none of them ever heard of Larkin. I know that he sort of missed the very beginning of techno as he was serving in the first gulf war, but from what I understand is that he and Hawtins basically started around the same time, no? Anyways… he seems tragically underappreciated.

Also, he is very insistent on referring to his music as “dance music” from the few interviews I’ve watched but…for me as a listener, and I’m not throwing shade on dance music, I feel like his albums are something much more, very immersive and conceptual, well at least speaking about Metaphor and Azimuth which are the ones I’ve spent a lot of time with. I’ve played both of these for people not at all into techno and they really seemed to enjoy them. Also, while I appreciate his humbleness Larkin has said that he doesn’t see himself as a musician just a producer, which I strongly disagree with. If he’s not a musician working in the electronic medium, I don’t know who is.

Anyways… if anyone can point me into the direction of other Detroit Techno, or just techno albums, which feel as immersive and just as in place in the car or living room, as in a loft party as Metaphor or Azimuth I’d love to check them out. I’m really not even into techno to be honest but am open to it, obviously.

2 Likes

Kenny and Richie did come up around the same time. In fact, his first record was one of the earliest Plus 8 releases.

1 Like
4 Likes

Thanks, look forward to checking those out!

1 Like

Timeless! First time I heard it, I was 15, watching the universal techno documentary. The music in this piece of TV was amazing!

1 Like

Always loved this remix he did of Share My Life

2 Likes

Just grabbed a bunch of his stuff. Loving my commute recently! I’m sure I’ll dig the sh*t out of this!