Talkin' bout Larkin

I wanna talk about Kenny Larkin but tracks like this oft-mentioned Amethyst leaves my mind agape in awe:

15 Likes

Kenny Larkin is my all time favourite Detroit Techno artist.

2 Likes

Me too! I feel like he transcends any sort of techno although he is too humble to say as much.

I just watched this nice interview with Larkin. He seems like such a sweet dude.

4 Likes

Just heading into work, but I’ll watch that later.

Thanks for posting.

1 Like

My guy doing the interview and his little head turn on the intro.

Peak fucking jazz club that was.

:rofl::joy:

Also, Larkin is the shit, a real compositional genius.

5 Likes

I’ve never heard anyone else able to say something like this “Is it all good? Hell no, most of it is shit…” and still seem incredibly humble.

2 Likes

Larkin mentions this early 80s Detroit DJ named Mojo towards the end. Any of you geezers know about that dude?

I’m guessing this is him.

2 Likes

I highly recommend this masterpiece of research and in depth analysis of the origins of techno:

There is a whole part only dedicated to The Electrifying Mojo, which was the very first Black owned radio station in the history of US. There were long passages where he only played cinematic scores, mixed with Funk classics and talked over the music about Afrofuturism, also being the very first station to play Kraftwerk and inspiring the Belleville Three in many ways.

7 Likes

NIce - hadn’t listened to any of his stuff before. Amethyst is giving me some Underworld vibes.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Nice that the history isn’t totally lost.

1 Like

Check out Azimuth next. You’re gonna love it!

2 Likes

He posts on gearspace sometimes.

Very friendly. Responded on a thread once where people were trying to figure out the gear used in one of his tracks, and he listed the exact gear he used. Off course some poster started arguing with him (not realising who he is), saying that there’s no way the gear he listed can make those sounds. Peak gearspace.

22 Likes

Yeah, loved this

Another nice interesting interview
And on his own yt channel, uff

2 Likes

Dark Comedy was the shit, both albums are absolutely bonkers.
Huge respect for the man.

3 Likes

Larkin has been a bit of a blind spot for me somehow, this stuff is amazing! :+1:

3 Likes

It’s such an obvious choice but love this track. Always loved hearing it out on a big system

2 Likes

Larkin is such a good producer, and chill dude. He’s one of the producers I’d love to spend some time with just talking and geeking out about synths and drum machines with. Such an important memeber of the Detroit scene and yet so humble.

1 Like

This is it, yep.

The first track is one of my favorite Janet Jackson’s song, thanks for the reminder :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Analytical shit… when it comes to making music? Naaah”

Absolutely love it.

3 Likes

Disappointed this thread wasn’t about Philip Larkin.

1 Like