Tascam Model 12

I am about to install it. This was my only real disappointement with these machines. I knew about the limitations before I bought mine. However, this bug was unknown to me, or I might have had second thoughts about my purchase. I certainly wasn’t expecting much from the built-in effects, but having a simple delay onboard was one of the features I wanted, especially given the limited options for going outside of the machine for processing.

This update should give me the mixer/recorder I was hoping for.

2 Likes

You might wanna check out the Bluebox @Ryan depending on your more exact needs.

I can’t decide if I’m lucky or cursed that the 12 was released before the Bluebox. I’m really happy with the 12 — mostly because the workflow is just so unapologetically mixer-like (I came from a Zoom R24, itself a really wonderful MTR, but that made me feel like I was first-and-foremost a file manager).

Now my Model 12 is in a studio I haven’t seen in months for pandemic reasons, the Bluebox is probably a better fit given I only ever mix synths, and it’s just so smol and cute and easy to fit in the house…

Maybe if someone made some wood cheeks for it?

1 Like

Do you think the BlueBox will ever do MultiTrack Audio over USB? Like something they could enable in a firmware update after they get this initial 1.0 build out the door?

I don’t know 1010music well enough to know how feature rich their updates have historically been.

I only ask, because if this happens, then this little BlueBox will go from being really really cool, to something that is essential for anyone making music.

1 Like

No, I doubt it. Given the hassle with driver development and the cost to maintain updates, it’s not a venture for a small dev like 1010. I’m guessing, but it’s not an unfounded guess. Don’t hope for or rely on it.

Yeah. I figured as much. Looks like a great piece of kit. Hope to hear more about it in January when they start shipping.

Loved your article on CDM as well. Great work👊🏼™️

1 Like

Thank you :pray:

Had my Model 12 for a month or so and apart from no dedicated return channels, I can’t really fault it. Considering it’s digital, it sounds much nicer than other small analogue mixers I’ve owned (yamaha and soundcraft).
Love not having to plug a computer in to record a jam.
Surprisingly, I’ve found the bluetooth feature super convenient, mainly for casual listening to iTunes etc. without fiddling around with wires.
Decent bit of kit!

3 Likes

FWIW, just watched a review with one of the creators of the BlueBox and he said Audio over USB is a hard “maybe” so at least it seems like a possibility down the road. But he did emphasize that their core philosophy is to buy a product for what it does today, not what it might do in the future :grimacing:

Dare to Dream i always say :pray:t3::two_hearts:

Link to interview: https://youtu.be/gIIs1AxiklY

2 Likes

Really?! I just assumed this feature didn’t exist on my Mode 12 which is why I was recording my Digitakt as a final mix. Had I known I would have multi-tracked and bounced to different tracks! Now I know!! Thanks!!!

1 Like

you can multitrack from digitakt ?
how you do it with tascam ?

I created a separated post but maybe someone from this thread will be able to help. Here it is :

1 Like

Hey,
I’m currently trying to decide between the Model 12 and the Zoom Livetrak L12.
I read that the Tascam has stability issues when using it as a audio interface. Can anyone confirm that? The Tascam seems to fit my needs a bit better but I don’t want to spend money on another faulty audio interface (had bad luck with a Tascam 2x2 in the past and also with my DN and overbridge so I don’t want to have trouble like this again)
Thanks for any advice and information regarding this topic :slight_smile:

Do you have a new computer now ? I.e. new USB controller ?

I’ve always been impressed with how well mine works as an audio interface. That said:

• It’s not my primary interface, so I’m not logging big hours on it,
  • Generally, if there are stability issues with an interface, more than half the time it’s an issue with interconnect, hub, port, controller, computer, audio engine, or DAW rather than the interface.
  • The above is doubly true if there have been stability issues with more than one interface.

So if you’re worried about it, I’d go with whichever one you’re going to second-guess the least. Sounds like that’s the Livetrack.

1 Like

Great thread for info everyone

How are people finding the compressor on the channels? Any particular character or colour?

Do the EQ’s cut and boost well. I’m after less subtle shaping

I’m thinking of having one of these to put the 8 outs of my old MPC2000 into for recording jams, building up layers through the multitrack recording and resampling elements back into the MPC . A DAWless set up with the option of importing into the DAW if wanted.

This might be wishful thinking.

Is it possible to connect the Digitakt to the tascam model 12 via usb and multitrack the outputs of the digitakt onto separate audio tracks in the tascam?

U should be able run over bridge on a computer and run the inputs back into the board for hands on mixing. And isolated tracks.

2 Likes

I’m currently without a computer as my Mac died and I’m trying to wait out next steps with the latest OS and M1 support before I buy a new Mac.

The Model 12 just acts like a 12in/10out class-compliant audio interface over USB. So this is akin to asking “What happens if I connect a focusrite scarlet (or whatever) to my DT via USB?”

I think the answer is, “Nothing.” But someone deeper in DT lore should correct me.

If you want to multitrack individual outputs of the DT without Overbridge, you can always go old school:

1. Set the Model12 up as your clock,
  2. have it send transport over MIDI,
  3. have the DT receive clock and transport over MIDI
  4. mute everything but the first track on the DT
  5. Go to the beginning of the song and hit record on the Model12
  6. On the Model12, swap the track you just recorded on with a free one (or physically plug the DT into the next of the Model12’s inputs)
  7. mute everything but the second track on the DT
  8. repeat steps 5–7 until all tracks are recorded.
4 Likes