Tasty Chips GR-1 : Hardware Poly Granular Synth

I bought a GR-1 a couple of days ago and really love it. I have been looking for such an instrument for a long time. Now I need a small keyboard to play the GR-1. What do you guys use with it?

The GR-1 does MPE. Not sure how deep it goes but perhaps a keyboard with MPE.

ADDED : I put together a list of MPE controllers, over in the MPE Synth Controller Options Thread.

1 Like

I was thinking about a sensel morph with the buchla thunder overlay. Could be a great combo.

The Morph is hard to find, and no word when it will be available again.

Does anyone know if you can plug the Morphā€™s USB directly into the GR-1 ?

The Morph has its limitations, but has a lot of strengths too. ( I use one. )

1 Like

Thereā€™s a good chance Iā€™m doing something wrong (Iā€™ve only had the GR-1 for ~1 week) but I canā€™t get it to respond to my Sensel Morph + Buchla overlay while directly connected at all. Itā€™s fine when going via my computer, but then using MPE mode = flooding my MIDI interface with messages on all channels, which means Iā€™ve got to keep one output on the interface strictly for the GR-1, which Iā€™m not super happy about doing.

Iā€™m minded to blame the Morph rather than the GR-1 since it never seems to work the way Iā€™d like or expect it to - and just FYI, it seems suspiciously like itā€™s being abandoned by Sensel given the state of the Sensel forum/lack of firmware updates, Iā€™m not sure I could recommend purchasing one going into 2022ā€¦ I did find one video on youtube of a guy using them together, so perhaps there is a way, but might require some Sensel app diving :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your help. Maybe MPE is overkill for me. Today I connected a Launchcontrol XL to the GR-1, which gives me the option to control more parameters in multitimbral mode.

What ever is best for you.

On the Tasty Chips FAQ page it says :

Q: Thereā€™s just one filter? Is it then paraphonic? How to use the gr-1 as a fully polyphonic device?

A: You can use MIDI MPE devices to achieve full polyphony. You can use sampled sweeps to emulate the polysynthā€™s typical filter envelopes. Without MPE it indeed is somewhat paraphonic.

1 Like

Next question for you GR-1 experts: Can I use the device as a usb midi host? I control my GR-1 with a Launchcontrol XL. Is it possible to send the CC messages from the Launchcontrol thru the GR-1 to the Analog Rytm? That would be great.

As someone who has wanted a hardware granular synth for a while, Iā€™m not sure why I held off so long on the GR-1. Having four independent timbres, the playback/sample looping mode, a filter on every voice, etc. all makes the GR-1 an extremely flexible device for a song setup. The visual feedback makes it more enjoyable than my favourite software granular, and the hands-on control make it so much better to design sounds. It also sounds pretty good! I definitely waited too long on this one.

14 Likes

I was thinking the same thing today. One of the most inspiring instruments I have ever played. The live sampling blows my mind every time I use it.

Your video is superb!

2 Likes

Great stuff as always!

1 Like

I canā€™t wait to try the live sampling!

Useful tip thatā€™s probably relevant for this forum: you need a USB audio interface for live sampling/granular, which is a bit of a pain, but if you have a Digitone kicking around you can connect it by USB to GR-1 and set it to transfer audio over USB and you can sample anything you like through the external ins or the Digitoneā€™s synth voices themselves! I imagine it probably works just as well with the Digitakt too, though I donā€™t have one to try. They do note in the manual that Analog Heat doesnā€™t work for this, but Iā€™m not sure why given the Digitone is fine. I might test it with mine to see what happens.

1 Like

Fantastic stuff!!! you make me wanna get both, a GR-1 and a Take 5 :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a super fun idea!

That would be ace

Interesting, the Heat has worked well for me as an input for GR-1. Have only had trouble with my Zoom recorders.

The Analog Rytm MKII also works well. You can also run the GR-1 through a track (or 2 for stereo) on the Rytm and run the GR through the analog filters and the effects. Planning to do a video on this soon.

3 Likes

Thanks, I will test this with my MK1 today. It would be great if that works out.

Edit: Of course it does not work because the MK1ā€™s are not class compliant.

Works with Akt

Works with Akt