Tasty Chips GR-1 : Hardware Poly Granular Synth

Ordered…Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

You’re welcome. Just bummed I didn’t get enough funds together this time around. Make sure you update us with photos!

Anyone tried the new 2.7 firmware? Looks like it just got posted yesterday. Change log looks pretty sparse, but maybe there’s more coming?

https://www.tastychips.nl/gr-1-support/

1 Like

I’m a bit nervous with regards to power supplies/cables, so wanted to ask about one for the GR-1.

Tasty Chips sent this.

And in the quick start guide it says to buy/use your own IEC-60230 C13/C14 power lead.

Can i use this one?

Cheers!

I found this. Can it help?

1 Like

Thanks. It’s clearer.

I bought the Amazon Cable. As far as my brain’s concerned, it’s a suitable lead.

I’ll let you know if i blow it up.

1 Like

Definitely looks as if the Amazon listing is for the correct power lead for the psu input.

1 Like

Thanks

Yeah man, you’re good to go. You might find one at home for various things. Kettles. Stereo. Monitors etc etc.

1 Like

Received the Gr-1 today but sometimes get this screen appear after star up.

Anyone know it says?

I have to reboot when I see.

Thanks

This is from the manual. I hope you get it sorted because it seems like a pretty awesome synth!

With early firmware this used to happen more often. Nowadays not so much, It
seems that the only ones that occur today are leaving USB devices plugged in
at boot (they require too much current for the GR-1 at startup).
This mostly happens because some USB devices require a lot of power and the
GR-1 is not able to supply this peak power, especially while booting. The GR-1
protects itself by hanging and going into a “grey screen” displaying “GRAVEULAR, HARHAR”. This has nothing to do with Jarjar Binks. The GR-1 freezes in
this screen to protect itself from more weirdness.
If this should happen to you, please drop us a mail with specifics of the
situation, preferably with screenshot, or better video. Firmware version number
and serial number are also highly appreciated.

3 Likes

Thanks.

It’s a bit worrying as it’s a brand new unit direct from Tasty Chips and I currently don’t have anything plugged into it other than the psu and headphones.

Forgot to mention when I first turned it on the screen was blank except for ‘no signal’ displayed upside down in the lower right corner.

I’ll contact them.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Tasty Chips got back to me and have said they’ll send a new replacement.

Possible Issues to do with internal SD cards.

Not sure how the back and forth, customs charges are going to apply.

To be continued….

2 Likes

Interesting good luck

1 Like

I would hope that any further fees will be refunded and I wouldn’t accept anything less.

2 Likes

Tasty Chips are going to send a replacement SD card for me to install myself.

They said I’ll also need to use 1 piece of Kapton Tape.

I misinterpreted the message I got about getting a replacement.

What they actually said was “we’ll make sure you get a fully functional GR”

I’m ok with this and I’ll see how it goes.

Tasty Chips have been very quick to respond, which is reassuring.

5 Likes

I had a wild thought regarding using a Bastl midi looper to loop the gr-1 via midi.

But, does anyone know if the knobs and faders transmit CC data? Tge manual does not say

Looks like yes, but only through USB according to page 40 of the manual.

Tge only mention I see in the manual is in the “send precision CC” in the manual. But I’m not sure if it means that 14 bit CC is sent through usb or if it’s both 7bit and 14 bit.

A bit confusing tbh

I believe it’s an option in the Performance menu. By default it’s normal 7-bit MIDI CC. Under the Performance menu, there is an option to convert the MIDI output to 14-bit NPRN instead (which the manual notes requires a host-to-host USB connection…so I’m guessing they mean a PC?).

I haven’t actually attempted to see how this works yet, but can run it through a MIDI monitor later.

1 Like