Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

i have to admit that i love „brain“ metaphor.
for instance, my rig has two hemispheres (grooveboxes / sequencers) and spinal chord (which does MIDI routing).

1 Like

I read a biography of Mozart. As a youth, his greatest talent was imitation. He could mimic any popular style. Consequently, most of his adolescent output is pretty meh and derivative. But look where it eventually got him. Mimicry may be an important part of the learning process. And when it comes to using hardware/software, being able to mimic a sound or style may indicate better command over the setup…than by creating something “original”.

4 Likes

who decides if I can dance or not? Do I need to get a dance certificate somewhere, before I lay down a 4 on the floor kick :upside_down_face:?

I enjoy dance music from the couch. I don’t like clubs, but still like some club music

5 Likes

this is OT but personally I don’t think originality even exist, only the existential desire to be original, I have much more regard for authenticity than originality, that no matter what music an artist played that they really felt what they conveyed. I always imagined hell as being a place where nobody actually listened to music but instead ranted for all eternity about how they’d heard every patch in a song before so it wasn’t worthy to be heard.

1 Like

Of course it does, otherwise how did we get here from Mozart? :smiley:

what makes you think we’re not where we’ve always been and what makes you think we came from mozart, even mozart didn’t come from mozart, it’s not like mozart equates to most art?

that’s another bone though, does art even exist, if it’s in the eye of the beholder then it has no definition and having no definition cancels out the notion of it’s own existence doesn’t it?

Seriously, I could’ve chosen any classical composer from way back when or some dude who first hit a stretched pigskin. You get my point. Originality does exist and it often comes from an artist being true to themselves as you pointed out. All good :blush:

sounds like your definition of originality is my definition of authenticity?..
I heard somebody say once that originality is being the first person to get popular for doing something in particular and that being an artist is getting paid for it.

1 Like

Why is this? Because the incredible intricacies of dance music, has to be felt, and can never be understood from a theoretical angle?
Do you check the composers moves somehow, before you slide out on the dancefloor, or is it a gut instinct?

1 Like

I do this sometimes, when resetting a push encoder, i.e. resetting the bass. (=drop)
It feels good and is 100% genuine.
I don’t keep it in the air though, and it doesn’t go high.
More like a downward chop with an upward flourish.

Add: the encoders I use for this are faderfox, not elektron.

Early morning sensibilities

I have to say this thread tends to generalize and alienate a bit too much for my taste.

I keep mine in the air and turn it into a finger wave when least expected

1 Like

I use the other one to twirl my imaginary moustache.

2 Likes

without having experienced being completely off your face in the middle of a rave you’ll have no idea on what moves you and what gives you that emotion.

Look at when people like Mike Oldfield have tried to write a trance track and it turned out utter shite. Trance by numbers. They get the sounds right, they get the structure right but it sounds like it’s written by someone with zero understanding of what the music is trying to accomplish and it comes across as like background music for some cartoon.

Also why the music scene is borderline stale with very few genres having any energy on an emotional level other than some pounding kick drum and repeating 4 bar loop , yawn.

1 Like

You definitely have a point there. But it doesn’t mean that person needs to be a good dancer.

1 Like

I’m neither up nor down with that one but it’s infinitely preferrable to when people refer to their “battlestation” or call a favoured instrument a “weapon of choice” because everyone really knows that Rambo would’ve prefered to be sat at home making sick trap beats…

2 Likes

:clap:4 :clap: ON :clap: THE :clap: 4LOOR :clap:

There i said it.
Sorry, not sorry!

4 Likes

I love them. I listened to boombap hiphop and indie bands in the 90s and missed all acid house, rave etc etc
I only started using and listening to Roland drummachine sounds in the last 8 years, so to me they sound super fresh :ok_hand:
I don’t care if others know them for 30 years, I like to use them :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This feels like forever ago but holy hell! :rofl:
Thank you for sharing the enlightening knowledge of these videos!
Makes me want to see more strange stuff akin to Tim and Eric.

1 Like

Parallelism.

In my music theory classes, we got marked down for parallel voice-leading in our four-part writing exercises. Fast forward 30+ years and I am hearing it in electronic music. Sample a chord, lay it out across the keyboard. Play a melody with that chord and pretend it’s a chord progression. Really, it’s just a failing grade on your theory test!

I am not complaining about a technique, per se, but rather a lack of technique. I listened to Venetian Snares last week. I was transfixed. I thought, This is really amazing music, the creator has a great ear. But, paralellism was still there in his tracks, and I didn’t hear polyphonic voice leading at all.

Electronic music can be sophisticated in texture, but I frequently find it harmonically uninteresting. Disclosure: I am a snob about such things.

3 Likes