Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

Nah, mate I found them all :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: But you knowā€¦ a meal that tastes meh wonā€˜t become a four star meal because you put lots of tabasco on top :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Wasnā€™t my intention, but fair enough for pointing it out, Iā€™ll delete it.

1 Like

I took it as humour, not bullying FWIW.

1 Like

For me, four on the floor techno (done well, as I believe the video above to be representative of) is as psychedelic an experience as I can get.

In the right room, with the right drugs, I can go to fucking wonderful places on the most repetitive 4/4 rhythms.

Iā€™ll admit that itā€™s not for everyone, but it really works for me.

10 Likes

Nobody is pretending anything.
Most of rock, funk and house/techno music is based on rhythm.

If anything, I say, ditch all chord ā€œprogressionsā€, cadences, everything has been heard before! Good riddance!

P.S. in the end it comes down to this: do you want listeners to intellectualize/calculate to your music, or simply feel it?

2 Likes

Iā€˜m not saying otherwise ā€¦ Iā€˜m with you 100%. It just mehs me out nowadays. Maybe Iā€˜m too old for this :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: or rather I have evolved ā€¦ so many great genres for tuning out.

1 Like

Mate, I was in the room when a couple of thousand adults lost their collective shit to the Vengaboys a few years ago.

There was a lot of Tabasco sauce on that dinner, and it tasted gooooooooood.

3 Likes

Tabasco is always good.

1 Like

I agree, some people love music theory and structured education, some donā€™t.

There are a few youtube synth guys who always bang on about theory, but when I listen to their music it bores the actual fuck out of me. Too conservative, sticking to ā€œthe rulesā€ and trying desperately to be clever but lacking any substance.

Horses for courses innit.

6 Likes

thatā€™s the thing isnā€™t itā€¦ its meant to be repetitive so that the listener gets in a state of tranceā€¦ this concept is applicable on a lot of things thoughā€¦ one example was when i rode 5 (Swedish) miles on bike and about 3 miles in i was riding behind my buddy and while i was looking at the road marks swooshing by, everything started to get blurry and i got in a trance like state, it was incredible really.

My point is that this experience isnā€™t really that well translated onto things like Youtube and Spotify. to me this is repetitive and boring because almost everything in that set is basically 4 on the floor and a 4 note arpeggio.

Funnily enough the first 30 minutes were the most interesting to meā€¦

Donā€™t get me wrong it was very cool seeing Pulsar 23 in action and OT and MD as well. but this just isnā€™t something i fancy.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why I love riding bikes, gets me into a flow state quicker than anything else.

Also, I look wonderful in lycra.

3 Likes

Absolutely, every technique has a justification, so does music theory.
One simply chooses the right technique to realize oneā€™s artistic intent, no need to dogmatize anything.

If the intention is to make people dance, a 4/4 kick will help. Classical cadences on the other hand might add atmosphere, but they likely wonā€™t add to the groove.

And if someone sees a genre of music lacking something, itā€™s probably time for that person to found a new genre!

1 Like

coming from the early 1988 acid house through the dance wave and techno/hardcore/jungle etc , looking at these videos of ā€œpartiesā€ look like an average pissed up tuesday night down the boozer.

no energy, no life, just drones playing repetitive clunks and bleep sounds with no soul.

1 Like

uhā€¦ 1989 probablyā€¦?

already fixed the typo, but thanks

Youā€™re welcome.

that sounds great! whereā€™s the party?

2 Likes

Precisely, without people going against the grain music would be less diverse.

1 Like

this is the club I used to attendā€¦ notice the difference?

I must admit, I do LMAO at some of the Boiler Room and similar sets, in well lit places with a small crowd gathered around the performer shimmying politely in an orderly fashion, taking selfies etc. .

10 Likes

I know what youā€˜re saying but ā€¦ I would get PTSD when everybody is yelling / screaming all the timeā€¦ how can anyone enjoy their pills? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I would get angry and aggressive and donā€˜t do the pill but snow and fuck up the bouncer or something ā€¦ seriously this is pure pain to watch for me

Mehs me out even more!

2 Likes