Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

The difference to @Fin25’s video?
Yes, I hear and see a difference.

To be honest, although I see certain qualities in both, neither exactly do it for me, but that’s to be expected, as I am just as idiosyncratic as anyone on this forum. :slightly_smiling_face:
For me, stoor is too sterile and cold, the N-joi anthem is too much piano-pain and forced happiness…

1 Like

You know a lot of the people in that video probably played at the parties you went to in the 80’s and 90’s

1 Like

I feel glad I was young in these times:

1 Like

yeah, you’re talking 30+ year old music. It’s had too much radio play now for it to exciting. At the time there was little like it.

my point was an observation about how an old fucker like me can see the life being sucked from things I once loved with each generation that comes.

If that live techno modular set on the video was tidied up a bit with some ups n downs and played out around 1992 ish it would have been amazing. But it’s just not exciting at all really. Is it the people, is it the music? I don’t know. Maybe it’s a mixture of shit drugs and people being too far up their own arse to let go now days.

1 Like

or maybe it‘s just early UK techno that mehs out :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: just a mild guess! Now reading in a book with the title „Courage to be disliked“ a bit further and call it a day :upside_down_face:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I can’t say it’s all downhill, there’s a fair number of young people doing great stuff nowadays.
They just don’t have an army of journalists looking for the next big thing, like the UK dance/electronic scene used to have.
Look at acid house/rave/jungle/dnb/ukgarage/dubstep/grime, there always was a huge splash in the media, then attention shifted elsewhere.
Nowadays people have to convince a fucking algorithm…

cicada hi-hats. So tired of them. Someone please come up with a new way to incorporate hi-hats into music instead of the same ubiquitous, fast, ratchet, 808 hats.

4 Likes

I’m not even particularly fond of euro-rack setups, but I dig this.

Both. Thinking about and feeling music are not mutually exclusive, imo. And, if thinking about music means sometimes setting our visceral responses aside, I don’t consider that a bad thing. Music is a really big thing and there is no one right way to make / enjoy it.

5 Likes

There’s no shortage of great music and great parties these days. Stoor is not everything and not everything is on YT.

3 Likes

I’m a fairly recent convert to the church of techno.

I’ve always been into the rave music, the dnb and the jungle, but it’s only really been the last few years that I’ve got into Techno. I used to think it was a bit too serious and po-faced (and a lot of it probably is) but good techno isn’t lacking in soul, it’s just maybe a bit more insular than the more hands in the air genres. I think all of them have their place.

5 Likes

@darenager Cringeworthy haha

1 Like

What is this?

I came to this thread for whinging and all I got was excellent technical and philosophical insight.

I am disappoint.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s your problem right there.

1 Like

I asked at the door, and they said no :rofl:

Writing bad music

While I do agree with the original list, all has to been seen within context.

For example: i dislike large reverbs, but I do like shoegaze for example and u-ziq. These wouldnt be these without the reverbs.

This is it tho isn’t it. I feel like most genres you can chart some kind of rough map where they start out brash, wild, utterly new and mind-blowing, then the novelty wears off and the interest has to be found in new ways - technique, timbre, new melodies etc.

Like early jazz is… meh? to me, sounds so dated and unnuanced, but also you hear/read accounts of it being played live and those kids were ON IT. And it has almost nothing in common with Sketches of Spain or whatever.

A lot of modern ‘bleeps’ is a kind of refinement of earlier dance music and yeah sometimes it ends up appealing a bit more to the brain than the heart (or the hips…), but also there’s always got to be people exploring a genre and seeing what you can do with sound and dance etc.

But I get what you’re saying. There’s a lot of posing, a lot of ‘techno pout’, a lot of people more worried about whether they look the right way than if they’re having a good time. But also, there’s still people going mad, making mad music, having mad nights, whether based on the classics or on new stuff. The kids are alright.

(But also a lot of the mad parties are just… EDM. So we’ll keep quiet about that :rofl:)

Also, techno is fucking stupid. A lot of the nights I’ve been to I’ll take a clip of video every few hours, and you could splice them together and assume they’re the same track. Goes nowhere, does nothing. BAM BAM BAM again and again. Absolutely ridiculous. Fucking love it.

If you’ve ever got the opportunity to see Karenn play live, take it. Best live techno I’ve ever seen and I refuse to shut up about it.

4 Likes