Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

Mogwai will never die, but you will.

5 Likes

I get a bad back just looking at those pics.

like this?

i personally think its great, and i am not into modular

Or with a Jackery power station with solar panel, showing off their connection to nature but carrying this system around in a SUV, also using pickup microphones for recording plants and fungi?

2 Likes

It certainly doesnā€™t bother me but I must admit Iā€™ve seen these performances and thought to myself ā€œThat must be really uncomfortableā€¦ā€.

Maybe itā€™s just because Iā€™m aging and unfitā€¦

Speaking of being old - one that does kind of bother me is instagram videos of people out in public places and nature playing their stuff over speakers. Iā€™m a huge synth nerd but if Iā€™m out trying to enjoy the birds and the trees the last thing I want to hear is your techno jam reverberating through the hillside.

Bit self indulgant IMO (says the guy that shoots on a 35mm f1.8 lensā€¦)

3 Likes

Haha, outdoor - the more remote/obscure/abandoned/highest/lowest/rural/urban etc location, whilst looking ā€œprofoundā€ or ā€œseriousā€ or whatever is even fucking cheesier than the potted plants and action figures thing.

Too ā€œartsyā€ and privileged, and ā€œsocial mediaā€ driven for my taste, gotta get those likes :face_vomiting:

10 Likes

Never smile and look down through the nose.

I just like plants

4 Likes

Me too, and coffee, just donā€™t see why it has become ā€œa thingā€ to incorporate them into synth videos :laughing:

4 Likes

i did buy a solar panel and lithium to send a fluffy welcome to those squeky birds :slight_smile: We have lots of unpleasant geese that shit on everything, they need some good vibes too, i dont go to reservar areas, but i like the areas which are set up for barbecues anyway. I have a mixed feeling here because they call old industrial areas now nature reservat, to not have to deconstruct the old buildings. I like small outdoor raves too. Nothing wrong with it, if the place is left clean.

People playing music/ videos/ whatever outdoors - especially in places like nature parks, hiking trails, etc, is so incredibly inconsiderate. Iā€™m out here to listen to birds and enjoy the fact that I canā€™t hear traffic, not to hear whatever gods-awful music youā€™re listening to. Iā€™ve thankfully never encountered the dorks who loudly play their techno arps in the park.

7 Likes

I watch old videos of my favorite mix engineers and drummers. Cables everywhere, ashtray, stale coffee. They got their priorities right. Itā€™s about the sound.

7 Likes

Yea I have to be honest Iā€™ve never encountered one in the wild - maybe they just have a good greenscreen :joy:

Saw this comment just as I was browsing this blog: Retro Necro Column by Momus (Playground magazine, Madrid, January 2009)

1 Like

my latest tutorial :grin:

mix this with the amen break, an acid bassline playing a blues riff,and throw some drill rap on topā€¦ reverb to taste

2 Likes

Reviving this thread solely for fucking beat repeat/stutter/freeze echo FX. Just stop it!

(Context: Got an SP-404 recently and have been watching jams on YouTube and itā€™s filled with it)

5 Likes

Correct.

Total steaming bucket of shite, the lot of it.

To be fair, I think Iā€™d hate almost everything about the SP404.

3 Likes

That is one Iā€™ve never been interested in. Donā€™t know why.

:smiley: Just came here to say that but you beat me to it. I used these fx to death 10 years ago and iā€™m ashamed of myself. Itā€™s a lot of fun to play with the beat stutter from the 404 but musically it just adds this one effect sound that reminds you of 404ā€™s and kaoss pads.

1 Like

It looks like a label printer? Schrrrp schrrrp beat ā€¦

2 Likes