Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

I love how the latest gen of guitarists joke about “boomer bends”, which absolutely infuriates guys that, IDK. Still want to be seen as Eric Clapton or some shit?

5 Likes

I know the octatrack is powerful box, but I have to say that I rarely see people making songs that I enjoy with it. The idea of changing scenes with the cross fader initially seemed interesting to me, but I don’t feel like I’ve really seen it put to great use.

5 Likes

Distortion… I just don’t get it.

2 Likes

I listened to their record quite lot last year. They are playing in my city two weeks from now. The gig is free for some reason, so I will definitely go…
Not a fan of post-rock; the last I liked was second album by Red Sparowes 15 years ago…

1 Like

I was unnaturally obsessed with this song. Must’ve heard it hundreds of times travelling on the Tube. Something about the bassline is just awesome.

3 Likes

Red sparowes are one of the best to do it .

Yes, the debut is great as well. This track was so massive live… I just tend to prioritize albums that introduced me to given band… Or, in this case, concert on tour to “Every Red Heart…” If I recall correctly I even didn’t hear single note by them when I headed to the venue that evening. It was just friend’s recommendation. I escaped from work and travelled 250 km by train to be there. It was my birthday. Maybe that’s why I love that record so much… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Making music alone is like the best thing that ever happened to me. And pretty much all of my bandmates ever were totally cool!

5 Likes

(Replying directly) I hear ya, I just always found that my bedroom producing benefitted a lot from playing in bands and being in production duos outside my solipsistic reality, which doesn’t describe my current situation, unfortunately, having moved countries. Feel like I’m missing something.

2 Likes

Come to the dark side

1 Like

I mean, as much as I love and appreciate Dilla’s genius, I have no desire to spend £500 so I can waste countless hours trying and failing to make my dusty lofi boom bap vinyl crackly study at home beats swing like that.

7 Likes

Sampling… I just don’t get it…

4 Likes

In any sense?

Speech is fun
Subtle textures are fun
Sometimes it’s fun to drastically recontextualize a loop
Sampling hits can be an absolutely awful drag though :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s the guitars in it because

Guitars… I just don’t get it…

1 Like

Side chain and simplistic beat repeats are cringey to me, in the same vein as barbed wire tattoos, upturned collars, too much cologne, or duck face.

1 Like

Rappers who can actually rap… I just don’t get it.

Oscillating sine waves… I just don’t get it…

1 Like

is that a Toronto thing? it seems to be a nexus for a bunch of Synthfluences that do exactly that.

Ok if we’re complaining…

Lyrics and people singing along… Staahp!

Guitar Solos, enough wankery

Bad mastering on purpose??

Cheez = Major Chords, EDM, Dubstep

DJ’s that never learned to mix Vinyl on 1200s

Xmas music

YouTube Adverts

909 rides, I love them too, but enough!

Bass Drops, DnB did them better in the 90s

Managing Social Media when I should be in the studio writing beatz

Sampling… this is worse than presets on your synths, stop being lazy! Chop your own recordings instead

Global Warming, I don’t see this ending well
Pedals, last thing I need is another one

Things I Love::

BASS a great groove is incredible

Hand built SoundSystems

The Intarwhebs, so much to learn and share!

Hardware, so much cool gear available now!

Sunshine and Rainy days

Pets

Friends

Plugins, I refuse to use more than a handful but the few I have are incredible

Creative Communities, stop consuming and make awesome stuff instead!

Breaking bad habits, end the destructive patterns

Sidechaining is fantastic when done well!

1 Like

“sunshine and rainy days”

I felt that…

1 Like