Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

4 Likes

Dub Techno.
Yep, for me whole sub genre feels like one technique.
Anyway I love and hate Dub Techno.

4 Likes

Power electronicsā€¦ something which I can occasionally derive some peverse enjoyment out of but really is for the most part a load of pretentious, distorted bollocks.

2 Likes

Autogenerated drone music. I could enjoy it as an intro for 15-30 seconds, but people are posting 10-15 minute long clips of this kind of music all over YouTube. I really donā€™t get it.

4 Likes

I think most of the music I like certainly has a strong pretentious aspect to it and for some it works well and for others not so much.

This one is easy to explain - youā€™re not taking the right substances :wink:

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of pretentious bollocks in the noise/power electronics scenes. Thereā€™s also some really good/clever/powerful shit. I think thereā€™s a novelty value to it for a lot of people, so the acts that appeal to that novelty aspect tend to rise to the top.

3 Likes

FYI BDN are death industrial, not power electronics.

1 Like

Aside from hot knobbing, atm I canā€™t think of a technique that would meh me out as such, but rather the way some are being applied.

In the end theyā€™re just that, techniques, and Iā€™m far from convinced that any of those couldnā€™t be applied in a way that would be incredibly cool and creative.

2 Likes

I use that as a broad term which hopefully gets the point across. I donā€™t see any real difference in the type of noises that arise from that subgenre.

Yeah well, makes sense you donā€™t know much about it since you obviously donā€™t like it one bit.

I do enjoy some if it. I find that the problem with this type of thing is that it gets old really quickly. Like a slasher movie that has gore all the way through, you just get numb to it and then it has no effect.

2 Likes

Yeah, I barely managed to maintain an erection at all through Terrifier 2.

10 Likes

ā€”> line

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> @Fin25

Just the way it should be.

1 Like

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Canā€™t imagine itā€™ll be long before itā€™s flagged.

You mean flagellated really.

6 Likes

Is that one of those techniques that everyone loves ?

2 Likes

I think Microcosm is great for adding background noiseā€¦ i usually put it as a send effect and have specific voices run through it, making little washes in the backgroundā€¦ having it up front and center is fatiguing after a while.

do you have a link to that clip would be cool to see it.

1 Like

Ever the problem with new kit, I donā€™t have a huge garage/walk in closet to dump my gear so I need most everything to be ā€œfront and centerā€ :slight_smile:

@Phillip, @MichaalHell, The clip I saw/heard was on Hologramā€™s instagram. I donā€™t think itā€™s terribly important though. It was just a sample of person saying ā€œone two three fourā€ getting twisted around by the Microcosm. Very simple stuff and not any super impressive result in and of itself. Hereā€™s something much more interesting and itā€™s by our own @GiantSuperCell

Itā€™s probably my fault for not digging deep enough on YouTube but I usually only hear Microcosm used for straight up ambient music which is not my cup of tea. The times I have heard it with simple rhythmic material it seemed it was overused and just made a mess. Of course thereā€™s no way I can remember every Microcosm moment Iā€™ve seen/heard on the youtube but this feels like the first time Iā€™ve heard it used in something with drums where the beat was allowed to proceed in a straightforward manner but still have a cool glitchy modern dub type of feel. The silly little clip from Hologramā€™s insta sounds like something Iā€™d already be doing and GSCā€™s song sounds like something Iā€™d like to aspire to. I would ask for more Microcosm links along the lines of the above song but I believe Iā€™m preparing for NGNY2023 so please refrain!

3 Likes