Techno rumble reverb

Hi,

Any tips on how to create reverb tail on a kick? And also to have it properly side chained with the kick? usually I create two tracks. one track with the actual kick, and one for the rumble. But i’m struggling to get the reverb rumble correct. I’m interested in any suggestions, and workflow.

I usually take a loopable low-end noise and fiddle around with the amp envelope to make it sit nicely with the actual kick – doing any sidechainging or equalizing and whatnot gets too complicated in my opinion, a well placed amp envelope can go a long way. Some touch of reverb on the kick to make these two blend together nicely, but it’s not the main “source” of the rumble.

5 Likes

I put some lpf on the kick sample, put some heavy reverb on it and resample the result.
I then restore the kick sound to its original state, and add the resampled reverb to another track.
Then I use an LFO to volume with a negative setting and one-shot enabled to duck the volume of this rumble sample. Put trigs on 1,5,9,13; just as the kick sample.
I then adjust vca env and filter on rumble track to get it to my taste.

Finally tweak the kick and rumble tracks so they fit nicely together and then enable the master compressor to glue everything together.

6 Likes

which LFO do you use? the ramp?

env shape LFo --> adjust speed to taste to get the right amount of pumping

To get sidechained reverb sounds I like to turn on the compressor then put the reverb before the compressor (PRE/POST in reverb settings). Then it’s a matter of feeding the kick into the reverb and tweaking the compressor settings so that the reverb tail is loud and compressed but ducks in volume when the kick hits.

On the digitakt I have found the following strategy rewarding:

1. Place a kick
  2. enable delay
  3. send delay to reverb
  4. Don’t send delay volume itself
  5. With LFO automate the delay amount. So you get some sort of ducking effect.
2 Likes