Teenage Engineering OB-4 (update)

Mine came in today too! very stoked.

reading the manual; encountered a tiny problem;
I bought this 4 pole cable (see below) from TE because it matches the OB-4 (black) nicely, but now i read in the manual that 4 pole cables are not recommended. Why not? can it do harm?

I donā€™t know if it will cause damage, but from what I can tell the 4-pole allows for a microphone on the circuit. So using a 4-pole may cause an incomplete circuit. I suppose this could potentially lead to a problem that could cause problems if with audio quality and maybe an overload from the input source that could cause damage to the speakers. I would follow the manualā€™s advice.

Following the manuals advice seems wise.
Bummer though, now i have one (nice looking) more useless cable haha

Iā€™ve been eyeing it for about a year now to replace the stereo in my living room that I rarely use anymore but still takes up a lot of space. Do you feel like it would sound fine in a ca. 20 square meter room with high ceilings for listening to LPs?

can all new owners check something out please; sub-harmonic distortion thatā€™s VERY noticeable at 0-25% volume level. Here is how it soundsā€¦(and yes, that is minor warping on the top plate).

2 Likes

As for a perfectly wee recording deviceā€¦

that doesnā€™t sound normal

1 Like

That sounds the same on mine. I already contacted the support and they said it should be already fixed with one of the latest update. But mine has still the annoying distortion. Seems that we should contact the support again.
Is there anyone who has definitely NOT this issue?
I assume that itā€˜s a software issue and wondering why there are so few complaints.

1 Like

My Ob-4 doesnā€™t do that.

1 Like

I think the update has helped reduce it but itā€™s still there. And for TE to have admitted that there was a problem sounds like it should be a universal fault, not just a few random unitsā€¦and yetā€¦

Nope. There is still latency. I also had heavy distortion in the low end. Finally returned mine. So sad.

Same.

1 Like

Are you a TE troll? Hah saw your post in the tx-6 topic too

Sorry to hear that, you still experienced latency using the aux input even after updating the OB-4 using the Orthoplay App?

1 Like

Got an email from TE custumore support:

"the trrs cable (4 poles) is made for inlets and outlets that can ā€œcarryā€ 3 channels: left, right, and mic. thatā€™s why you can usually find them on headsets that have a microphone! using it with your OBā€“4 will not damage the unit. The OBā€“4 line in support trs connectors, meaning that trrs cables are not ideal, but you are correct, it doesnā€™t actually make any difference.

PS: . OPā€“1f, OPā€“Z and TXā€“6 (in the cue output) have trrs connectors!

5 Likes

letā€™s try a splitter or the m1 to see if it will do line out šŸ„¹

Are you a TE fanboi? So what? Still true. Just ordered an OD-11. Canā€™t wait , -)

Mine arrived today and having fun and setup Orthoplay on my ipad and iPhone to manage it. Quite a bit smaller than expected but sound is great and loud enough for monitoring and outdoor jams. I need to find a cable for input to use and only have 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch cables.

be careful taking to the beach, or any place where sand can get picked up by the wind. Sand can get into motorized parts.

3 Likes

gotcha right now I am just using it inside as portable monitor and will experiment with loops from radio and inputs. Really fun and louder sounds than expected. I used my 3.5mm patch cables to connect my BASTL Dude mixer to it and new Roland JX-08 and Megaman PO and works fantastic! I did some loop recording and fun times ahead. Quite a fun speaker radio device!