Teenage Engineering OB-4 (update)

I am an Elektron, Roland and Teenage Engineering fan boy lol.

For those that will be using the OB-4 for a playing there synths on the fly, this is a informational video from a music producer who goes by SURCO for powering Elektron devices (and other devices) via a power brick with links to a company called Ripcord (the video has links in the description).

Although when I went to Ripcord’s website, they noted they don’t sell one for the Syntakt anymore because the it needs more power. SURCO noted in the comments that he is testing one from a company called Birdcage that is working for him so far … it requires a power brick that has “PD” power although.

Hi.

I got a question for the more seasoned OB-4 users.

If I use the line In, playing an Elektron box or a synth, is the OB-4 auto recording(2 hours) like in FM Radio mode?
And if Yes, is it possible to use the Ambient mode for the Line/BT input or does it only work for the FM Radio?

it is Auto recording

and

you‘ll push it thru ambient when you’re already listening to some input (line,bt,radio) and hold down the play button, entering ambient.

2 Likes

Cool I’ll experiment a bit more. Thanks for helping out

Well, UPS showed up to delivery my OB-4 … the package was severely damaged and light as a feather. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Someone obviously stole it. I was able to see inside and nothing but a few metal brackets were there. The UPS driver noted that delivery was refused. I sent a request to customer support at Teenage Engineering noting what happened.

This is the first time something like this has happened to me.

That’s all kinds of fucked. I’m sorry you have to go through that. :confused:

Yeah, but I’m going to remain positive. For once I’m glad it was a “signature required” delivery. Hopefully TE will be able to get back to me on Monday and get things resolved.

I had just sat down to take a nap and just fallen into a deep sleep when the UPS guy knocked on my door so I was my brain was really confused at what was all happening.

It was exactly like the opening scene in Ace Venture Pet Detective … and I probably looked like the guy in the movie (Randall Tex Walker) as I was trying to wake up and determine what day it even was. The package looked like it was used in a World Cup match. UPS guy was like, “I have a package from Sweden, but it look pretty beat up”. I said that was an accurate assessment. Crazy thing is that the package in the movie actually looked to be in better shape then the one that arrived today …

Well, I have lots of things to keep me busy. I’m in the middle of reorganizing my studio. Onward and upward!

2 Likes

Wow that sucks. When mine came ups had just left it outside in front of the door when i arrived home (!). Luckily noone stole it.

My nicely discounted fresh OB-4 arrived today. Sounds great considering how (surprisingly) tiny it is. It also makes the act of playing music uniquely fun. Nice moves TE.

Sadly, my Tape dial has a huge split through it so I need to get the unit replaced. Hopefully TE can do it right and send a new one and collect mine in the same delivery…

2 Likes

Yes the sound is suprisingly good! and smaller than I thought (which is a good thing)
also insane battery life

not sure If I’m going to make much use of all the loop / extra features though. The way its implemented is ‘a neat trick’, but nothing more than that imo.

1 Like

Update on my missing OB-4 that was stolen somewhere in shipping / customs … TE was quick to get back after UPS (who took a few days to give them an official notice) sent them official notice that the package was rejected. TE is already in the process of sending a new unit and will handle the claim with UPS themselves.

Props to TE customer support! Onward and upward :rocket:

5 Likes

thats very good service, congrats!

Here is a breakdown of my plan for a mobile setup using the OB-4 until I find a suitable portable mixer solution for up to 4 synths. I think this will simplify things and be a good start for me.

• Synths: Syntakt (ST); MicroMonsta 2 (MM2)
  • Power Supply: Baseus 65W w/ PD supply (PD for the Syntakt)
  • Power Cord to Syntakt: SongBird FX Birdcord PD to 12V; Birdcord USB-C (male) to USB-C (male)
  • iPad 5th gen or better
  • AUM (IOS app) for mixer
  • Apple Lighting to USB 3 Camera Adapter
  • MIDI Keyboard (I’m using Keystep Pro 37) for the MM2

Basically, I will feed audio from the MM2 via a 3.5mm TRS to dual 1/4 TS Hosa Cable into the ST, then take audio from ST to my iPad via USB-B cable to the iPad using the Apple Adapter. Then use the headphone output from the iPad to the TE OB-4 (I just did a test last night thru headphones and it worked). I really need to dig into the AUM app as last night was the 1st time I ever used it, but I was able to apply Eventide spring reverb app to the audio.

If you want to skip the iPad setup, using a DT / ST as the mixer should work as well.

This could be done with a DT as well … MyVolts is a company that sells RipCords that can provide power with non-PD power banks. Just go to their website

The Baseus power supply was recommend on the SongBird FX Birdcord PD-12V. It will supply power for the ST, MM2 and Keystep.

I’ll post youtube video links for setting up the Elektron boxes to send audio to the iPad and another for using power bricks to run gear.

Baseus Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08THCNNCS?smid=A3AOI0INZQJ8QV&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1

Birdcord Link: Birdcord PD ➔ 12V (USB PD Voltage Converter) | Songbird FX

Apple Adapter Link: Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Apple

MyVolts PSU Finder: MyVolts - Power supplies and other powering solutions

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot I posted the SURCO video above on 12/9 (see that post)

Here is the video for setting up a DT (worked for the ST as well) to run USB audio into the iPad … setup starts at about 47 second mark

edit: screenshot of the AUM in it’s most basic setup showing the audio coming from the ST with an Eventide Spring Reverb app being applied …

I’m in the market for a good sounding portable Bluetooth speaker right now and I’m thinking of getting the ob-4. I will probably use it about 50% as a Bluetooth speaker for listening to music at home and the other 50% as a monitoring speaker with my op-1f, m8, or guitar (small boss headphone amp into the line in of the ob-4).
I love to get some advice here before I order it, though.
In case you own an ob-4, how do you like it? Would you buy it again?
For people with the op-1f, have you tried the fm transmission feature from the op-1f to the ob-4? How’s the latency? I’ve read that the latency via the line in is not an issue anymore, but wireless monitoring on the op-1f just seems so very convenient.
I use an android phone and I see there’s also the orthoplay app available. Do I really need it to use the ob-4 or can I just connect my phone via Bluetooth?
I usually take very good care of my instruments and things, so I’m not too worried about breaking or damaging it. However, I have yet to decide between ordering via Amazon (570€ atm) or paying a little more with thomann (614€ atm) and get a three year warranty. I think the steeper price might be worth it, just in case something happens.

I got it when it was on sale before Xmas. I use it for listening on the phone and as a speaker when I got a synth at home, a bit of radio and some loop fun with the kids on random sounds.
I hope to use it as a speaker for a busking project, time will tell if that pan out!
It’s a luxury item but it’s a very nice item. I could 100% live without it but I really like having it….
The ambient feature is very pleasing but you make the same effect with a good reverb on 100% wet , I think.

2 Likes

Unfortunately i can not recommend the OB-4 since it has still the subharmonic distortion issue. It appears when the volume is between 0 and 30% and sounds like wobbling under water. TE confirmed that itˋs a SW issue but they dont have the time now to have a look and fix it.
Itˋs especially audible when playing pure synth tones or speech.
Here a video from someone else: https://youtu.be/bbLQH4xVPmA

I posted this a while ago on discord: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/859904152505942037/1026629157708378162/trim.BA99D3E5-6B93-4401-AA15-044EEF3414D2.mov

In addition, I cannot get FM mode to work in stereo. When this would work, the FM transmitting from OP1 would be nice.
But it only works below 1 meter without introducing noise. This is why I prefer the cable for the moment.

Latency is really low. I cannot notice any when playing live. Only when using headphones at the same time, I can notice a short delay.

Orthoplay app is only needed for FW updates. And you can use it as remote control.

3 Likes

I use it everyday since December 2020. And I love it , it is easy to use , sounds great and has a lot of extras.plus it looks stunning.
The fm transmitting from op-1f is beautiful and you don’t have to buy a fancy generation loss kind of delay. If it breaks I will have to get another.
It is an instrument on its own.

1 Like

I like it too! bought it for my synths/portable setups, but am using it as a bluetooth speaker now mainly just to listen music streamed from my phone. no subharmonic distortion issue here.

Only downside for me is that it doesnt power off automatically (I sometimes forget to power it off)

1 Like