Teenage Engineering OP-1

Same. But I don’t think it’s too extreme. Similar to the move Make Noise did with their QMMG. I imagine resources aren’t as they once were. So it might in fact cost more to manufacture this device, and they probably couldn’t make as many as they would normally, thus making each individual device more expensive. I could be wrong though.

I payed 780€ for a new one in 2016.
These prices are going crazy! :flushed:

$ 800-1000 is a perfect price for OP-1

2 Likes

Wtf?? Teenage engineering literally posted saying ‘no one should pay this much for an op-1. There will be new stock coming in 2019’. So I decided a break from mine would maybe be a good idea and make some money at same time if anyone was in a hurry enough to pay those prices…

And then TE hike the price to £1200??? F$$king ridiculous. Lame AF. Done with TE. This is next level capitalist BS. Worst move I’ve seen a company make on customers in memory…

6 Likes

Lol

Whos forcing you to buy it?! Just skippit

7 Likes

Resources might not be what they were. But neither are prices for weak ass cpu/memory etc. Blatantly ripping off customers. Exploiting their ‘cool’ image and expecting people to pay through the roof. Nothing ‘cool’ about ripping people off. This makes me think they’re about as ‘cool’ as Apple…Glad I sampled all my patches before I sold mine. No way I’d pay over a grand for one…mine was £650 brand new. Crooked as AF move from TE.

I want to replace the one I sold after te said that it wasn’t being discontinued and that the used prices were ridiculous.

Actually, past tense… wantED to. No way I’m down for supporting company that hikes like that.

The ‘no one should pay this much’ instagram post was for one that cost $8000…

I expect that the components, especially the screen, could become more expensive to get hold of as they become obsolete. Without redesigning the hardware they can’t just put in different components.

It’s a lot of money, but no one is making you buy it. If its between that and not being able to buy it at all (or paying crazy prices on eBay), which do you prefer?

2 Likes

Anyone that thinks that the TE seeing the prices that used ones could command, hasn’t been the primary reason behind the price hike then just ‘wow’… It’s the obvious move. Lame AF. But totally obvious from a business angle.

Of i was te id sell it for €5000 these days, just for fun :slight_smile:

Well, TEENAGE engineering, it make sense. :joy:

1 Like

Brilliant lol

Maybe but I’m not gonna applaud it. Done with em. Way cooler humans out there to throw money at.

1 Like

That’s a fair point. I guess, that’s why I was thinking they were going to do some minor hardware changes to bring it back in an updated cost effective way. I’m sure that screen is still very expensive to produce. Such a niche thing to manufacture. I don’t know how all the manufacturing works, but I imagine even outdated technology becomes expensive because it’s not as ready available as newer tech. Like trying to buy/find older car parts.

Maybe TE will explain the cost hike in a post on insta someday. Until then, I’m glad it’s back for those who want to buy it.

I nearly sold mine for $1800 aud with djtech tools knobs, decksaver, & clam shell carry case. Thought I’d spend a few days with it and learnt a whole bunch of new stuff and realised I wanted to keep it… glad I did now as there’s no way I would have bought another at this price :pleading_face:

It’s not worth this price. Nowhere near. That’s the annoying thing. I’ll kinda miss having one now but no chance I’m spending over £700 on one.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m sure it costs money to manufacture etc. But £1200? Because the screen is old? For real?? It’s not even that well built!?!

I’m sure TE will post something about it. Whether I’ll believe whatever it is they say is a different story…

That’s now more than double the price I paid for mine direct from TE in 2013. Yikes.

4 Likes

@behringer NOW is your time to shine :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Haha. ‘Just Do It’ Uli!

1 Like