Teenage Engineering OP-1

Sad thing is I used to think ‘ah sweet, there’s an op1’ when I saw one in a video. Now I’m just gonna be thinking ‘ah, an op1…wonder if that dude paid a mug price for it?’

1 Like

It’s a bit disappointing to see the increase in price, but I’m pleased to see it available once again. I sold mine to help fund a rare old synth, and have missed it dearly. Will I pay this price for it? Maybe - or maybe I’ll grab a used one. I expect the recent inflated secondhand prices will now go down now that it’s available again.

I can’t guess the reason behind the increase, but given the supply problems recently, I wonder if TE themselves have been at the receiving end of a supply/demand increase. The prices of some commonly expensive electronic components have gone through the roof in recent years due to heavy demand and short supply. But that’s just speculation on my part. In any event, I’m happy to see it for sale again and will likely start saving my pennies for another.

3 Likes

Wow - I was on the waiting list at teenage.engineering for one, and got a chance to buy one for €999,- on january 25th. I thought it was bit too much then, but jumped at the opportunity.

I’m quite happy with that decision now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t imagine any single part of the op1 costing a significant enough amount to warrant it costing £1200. Supply and demand issues or not. It’s a tiny chunk of mediocre materials with dated guts and almost zero connectivity. TE are ROFL at their customers…

1 Like

Neither did I and there’s every chance I might find something else to spend my money on. However, I’m glad to see that I’ll have the choice to buy one when the time comes.

1 Like

just can´t stop laughing…

OP-Z is a real bargain, relatively speaking

2 Likes

Yeah… that’s why I don’t have an OP-1, unfortunately. The allure of the vintage ARP was too strong that day… :blush:

2 Likes

That price makes it so much easier for me not to want one anymore. Thanks, TE!

2 Likes

Next year on Namm 2020; Behringer BOP-1

4 Likes

Considering I bought one for £350 a couple of years ago I really can’t find any way at all to justify the new RRP. It’s frankly a mental asking price.

2 Likes

If I was gonna buy one now after this, I’d rather throw it on a used one on eBay just on principle. Give an average joe customer my dough rather than TE.

I can score an ‘as new’ one for £500 off a friend who only bought it cos he wanted to learn an instrument and have jams with me and some other friends. I’d feel bad taking it off him though and til now had been thinking ‘maybe…as last resort’… But price hikes like this just make me wanna distance myself from companies like TE. Treating customers like suckers isn’t cool.

Op1 purchase? vs arturia microfreak + minilogue xd + empress zoia + a bunch of iPad apps? Or a deluge + stuff? Cheers for making my decision easier TE :wink:

I’m guessing they footed the bill for getting the display back (or whatever the limiting part (s) were) in production. Strangely, it’s showing as $1299 here in the states. Unusual to be less compared to the exchange rate. I remember getting one in 2013 or so for about $750. Sold it a year or so later for $700. I guess in should have kept it, ha.

That’s probably what they’d like you to think. Personally I don’t think the screen or whatever has anything to do with the hike. The crazy used prices have driven this move imo. I don’t think TE would have continued production if they had to cover new expenses by hiking the price to £1200. Mega risky as this would have had to been put in motion before the crazy used prices gave an indication of what some people were prepared to pay.

1 Like

We get it, you’re very upset about the price increase.

8 Likes

Sold mine for £1200 the weekend of the rumours.

No regrets.

Yeah same here. Glad I did now!

They range from 1300 to 1750 CAD here in Montreal

pretty difficult to reverse-engineer all that code…

2 Likes

More and more happy with the MS for portable duties now.

Bought a 2nd hand op1 recently which arrived broken so sent it back n a while later the MS was released n decided to go with that.
Ill defo miss the op1 mic n sampling, but when looked at purely as a portable device comparable to the op1 n opz etc i think the MS stacks up for the money.
Elektron sequencing and quality reverb. done. :]

When compared to other elektron units it can seem a strange release but purely as a portable its solid.

1 Like