Teenage Engineering OP-1

dragged my OP-1 out of storage and… can’t connect to anything to update the firmware, the usb interface seems dead…

choices are to put it away again and pay a tech to try to fix it… blech

Have you tried using a different USB cable?

Sounds like a silver lining to me lol

I changed the connector board myself no later than yesterday
(Teenage Engineering OP-1 Connector Board Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide)
And I have two left hands, so if I could do it, anybody can, I guess

1 Like

yep no dice

Has anyone faced the issue where the screen does not power up at all, yet the OP plays just fine? If so, what did you do to fix the issue?

This seems to be the case with one that’s for sale locally - it’s basically a brand new V2 with its box and all accessories; going for less than half the retail price.

I’m planning on buying it, fixing it, and then just move on with life.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

I’ve found myself unexpectedly toying with the idea of getting an OP-1.

I was never really that interested in it (aside from the beautiful design, especially the on-screen UI) but I’ve found myself dreaming of a device which I can play with somewhat mindlessly on the sofa and still make music of some description – a bit like someone strumming a guitar, I guess, but I have no interest in guitar music – and it feels like the OP-1 might fit the bill. I have various bits of Elektron kit but sometimes it feels a bit “left brained” to use and something a bit more “freeform” could be fun.

I was initially looking for something without a screen, after a day of staring at a screen sometimes I just don’t feel like interacting with another screen, but I think the OP-1 screen experience is so different that it’s more like a game anyway.

I’ve borrowed one briefly so am slightly familiar with how it works and its limitations, though I didn’t get to go very deep… I’m fine with the limitations, I have plenty of “serious” music kit for if I feel like doing something serious :slight_smile:

From reading this thread it sounds like buying one new so I get some buyer protection might make sense, if they do tend to break over time? Looks like used ones go for £750ish, and you can get new ones for around £900… I think I’d regret not paying the extra if it broke in a year!

Any thoughts?

Buy, try, sell, regret, buy, enjoy…that´s the way it goes… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you really want it, and think you will own it for many years, and have the money…then buy new. Preferably from a physical shop where you can play with it for an hour before you buy it (don’t go play with it in a shop for an hour, and then buy online….)

/Thomas

2 Likes

Yeah this would be the ideal… I don’t think there is anywhere around me which stocks it sadly (and I live in fairly central London) - everything going online definitely has its downsides!

That’s the spirit :ok_hand:

You won´t experience all of the magic in an hour…don´t get fooled by “this synthengines doesn´t sound like 900bucks” The op-1 is more than the inboard sounds!

2 Likes

That’s true. But if you hate the device after an hour, then one should not buy it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very true, I’ve already spent a couple of hours with it a few years ago so I know I’m at least intrigued so I probably passed that test already!

Yeah, it’s the OP-1’s somewhat esoteric, whimsical approach to making music that is drawing me in… a total contrast to most of the gear I have and use (Elektron, Drambo on iPad) and I think it could be a fun creative experience. Also I kind of dig the idea of easily being able to take it on holiday and stuff.

Also considering the OP-Z but what I read about build issues puts me off, plus sounds like you probably need to pair it with an iOS screen to make the most of it

I have 2 mk1 OP-1s both around 9/10 years old and screens are still fine, I think that the screen used in mk2 is different and seems more prone to failure from what I have seen.

The connector board is the most common point of failure, the mic, jack sockets, USB socket and switch can fail. The jacks and switch are fairly easy fixes, the USB and mic require a replacement connector board, an easy fix but around £74.

3 Likes

I have one myself, and I still think it’s both fun, and inspiring. But it does require working in a certain way, that can be quite annoying.

The OP-1 is a standalone……but not for a long time. Now and then you’ll need to offload what you are working on, since it’s quite hard to work on multiple ideas at the same time.

/t

1 Like

Ah interesting, is there no save/load session functionality?

Not in the way you’d expect. There’s something like 6 minutes of 4-track “tape” where you can save loops and such, which I find is usually enough for a live set, depending on how repetitive I want to get. Then there’s the “album” which is 12 minutes I think? I’ve never used it haha.

There’s some patch storage too, but no sequence storage, which pisses me off a little, but I find I rarely want to revisit anything I make on the OP-1 anyway, so I’m pretty happy with it being a spontaneous jamming machine. It’s the only machine I have that is a sketchpad, where if I want to flesh something out I’ll take the tape tracks out to a DAW and edit them together into something more elaborate.

3 Likes

I think it fits your requirements.
It is totally the sit on the couch an strum type thing - then record.
It has 6min 4track time ,that loops sections so alot more when nonlinear; and the two 2 track album recordings which are strict linear and great for getting down a “beat” or song to feed something else later. Totally inspiring.
I take mine out on public transport (trains) and wave it like a magic wand of audio with its built in mic and what not.
I have two and one is 3rd hand. Only problems is the on/off is now dicky and can switch off if touched - this may be through travelling (in a UDG case) oh and the 3rd hand one I popped its speaker with a bass heavey patch.
They keep everything saved as you go - but limited sound / sample storage (no problem for me -but I have two) and the awesome sequencers can’t save to storage, but keep state as you shut down.
I’m totally selling it here, but I do think the price hike is a shame. If you raise 900 and can get them that price then it’s probably worth it. They are a sleeper and something you can always go back to :heartbeat:

1 Like