Teenage Engineering OP-1

Haha- you type faster than me.

1 Like

Ahh, interesting about the storage. I guess itā€™s just one of those limitations you embrace. Thanks for the input all, I guess I should watch a few more videos etc!

I like the idea of having multiple OP-1s, one for each project :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™m still trying to find the definite way of implementing the OP-1 with my other synths.

The most fun Iā€™ve had is of course with the OP-Z which you can integrate in many ways.

But Iā€™ve found that the most useful has been to use the tape as a quick sample storageā€¦ something to quickly record something onto when inspiration strikes and then unload it onto other samplers.

With the Polyend tracker for instance, I like to record pads and melodic stuff onto the tape and the sample the tape onto the Tracker. The nifty thing here is that I can record to the tape at a -48 tape speed and the sample the tape onto the tracker at +12. This makes a 8 bar loop really short and doesnā€™t take a lot of room on the tracker, plus you get that lo-fi vibeā€¦

4 Likes

They do sell them at abbey road studios shop, I played with one in there a couple of years ago, says they got them in stock but full price

1 Like

Oh interesting, I had no idea that even existed! Maybe Iā€™ll take a trip over there at the weekend, thanks!

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s next to the studios, plus you can buy a Beatles mug while you are there :grinning:not sure if they still have them on display, might be worth ringing them first

2 Likes

This is a great idea.

I find that the OP-1 is great for coming up with ideas, or as a source for other machines. I like to sample the synth into the Digitakt for example.

Itā€™s also great with the OP-Z. And I like that you can just copy the tracks off the OP-1 over USB.

@Spheric_El The switch is quite easy to fix, you can pop the top off (once you have removed connector board) it has some metal tabs holding it on, then clean the contacts and if necessary bend them up a bit carefully so they make better contact, should be good as new when you put it back together.

8 Likes

Aw thanks alot for that detailed description Daren. Will give this a shot :+1:

You canā€™t break an OP-1 with casual, half-hearted effort. You need hit it hard like youā€™d hit a football hooligan on the opposing team, whoā€™s trying to kick your dog.

Iā€™ve dropped mine several times and it keeps on working.

What is the most you guys would pay for a used Op-1, Iā€™m a little tempted to pick one up but Iā€™m not sure what is reasonable?

I picked up a used 2020 OP-1, with the new OLED screen. I paid $950 for it.
Thats the same amount I paid for a barely used Synthstrom Deluge.

Thats the limit for me. I canā€™t imagine paying more than that for either device.
I do like them both. Anything more than $1100. I would start considering MPCā€™s, or an Octatrack.

1 Like

thanks will have to mull this one over btw which one do you like most between the two?

You hear the debate between the OP-1, and the Deluge quite often.
The UI on the OP-1 is far superior to the Deluge (The Cow, the Boxer, the Tape recorder, etc)
But the Deluge, coming from a Novation Circuit Tracks, is so much better, than any grid device. As soon as you start to play it, you know you are playing a quality instrument. The build quality is like that of a Nord, or an Elektron instrument. The Deluge is up there. Except that circa 1990ā€™s bowling alley LCD display ā€¦ thats a hot mess. But everything else about the Deluge is chefs kiss.

I like them both. If you asked me which one would I take over the other. Probably the Deluge.

2 Likes

Bought an OP-1 about 4-5 years back for Ā£550 and tbh if I were buying again that is about as much as Iā€™d be willing to pay (which I guess means Iā€™d never get to buy oneā€¦). Itā€™s a lovely sofa noodling/jamming toy/tool, but new and used prices these days are way more than the value it provides, despite its uniqueness. Having said that, if youā€™ve got the money to spare itā€™s a lovely thing to have lying around the house for when you are in the moodā€¦.

4 Likes

I got one 4-5 years ago for Ā£350! Now sold but I find it incredible that people pay the prices theyā€™re going for.

Like you say, great thing to have about the house and it feels great in the hand but I never got anything that Iā€™d ever share out of it. Thatā€™s on me though as you bad see from me thousands of videos how good it can be.

5 Likes

Wow, those prices put it in perspective what they go for now lol.

Iā€™ve been making music for over 3 decades. Had rooms full of gear but Iā€™m going back to using just a couple of Op-1s and a few carefully selected pedals. After the fantasy and reality of everything Iā€™ve owned I can clearly appreciate all the Op-1s quirks and features. My goals, desires and ambitions have shifted and I believe the Op-1 provides everything I need.

9 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to adding mine to the Moog Semi Trio for some extra drum and sample sauce! (I just hooked up a PO-12 and it was a riot).

Had it for 7 years and I need to change the keybed at some point as one of my black keys has gone. The mic also stopped working which I could replace, but Iā€™m quite partial to hooking up an outboard mic for a more multidirectional sampling experience.

Itā€™s a great holiday synth too!