Teenage Engineering OP-1

its my go to synth whenever i hit a dry spell.

my favorite thing to do is to make instant Yoga class material (run tape a -12 semitones or -24)
or make chiptunes vocals (record vocals at -3 to -5 semitones) …

my problem with the OP-1 is to go beyond the tape loops and usually i need another sampler to do that (octatrack or assimil8or)

2 Likes

I’m really getting in to field recordings (been down a deep Matthew Herbert sized rabbit hole) and I want a quick and portable machine to use those sounds. Hence my renewed interest in the OP-1. Also, being able to sit on the couch with it when the family is in bed is also a big draw.

1 Like

You can also use a looper app on mobile instead of the OP-1 tape.

I always have to relearn how to use the tape tricks, basic audio editing functions, etc. after I haven’t picked up the OP-1 in a while. I do like the tape tricks though.

I’ve had an OP-1 for a few months now and I’m struggling to be creative with the tape. What I like about sequencers is I can tweak the sequence, copy it to a new pattern, change an element, etc. With the tape—a looper, basically—I feel like I’m stuck with the chunks I’ve recorded. You can’t copy and tweak; you have to replay it (and hope you can find the preset you used and match the input volume).

I feel like I just get stuck in 4-bar loops even worse than I used to get stuck in 4-bar sequences.

You can copy paste tape loops so you’re not stuck with one version.

You can copy and paste a tape track to the drum/synth sampler.

You can resample the output of tape.

You can adjust the speed of the tape.

You can switch the playback direction.

You can record a tape performance to album.

Then there’s tape tricks….

7 Likes

of course you can copy on the tapes…and you could use the tape as an worbench, lifting audiosnippets, samples, merge samples to a new one etc. then drop this in the sample and so on.
it´s an archaic way to make a songarrangement on the tape, but you have 4 trackes, and you can merge tracks into one. it´s part of the way the op-1 is “special”… :wink:

2 Likes

What wasn’t good about it? I’ve got an RK-006 on the way. I was hoping to use the OP-1 as a poly synth with my M:S as drum machine and Monologue on bass.

@samglover It’s been a while but I never had my OP-1 permanently connected to other gear so I always had to connect the RK-005 to all my gear and never felt like the payoff was all that great. At the time I was doing something similar to you, just using the Digitakt for drums and my Moog for the bass instead. Because the OP-1 only responds to 4 cc numbers for synth, envelope, fx or volume, there wasn’t much I felt I could do except maybe sequence the OP-1 with the Digitakt. That was fun and all but I found it faster and more immediate to either play live on the OP-1 and commit it to tape or just use one of the onboard sequencers.

I did however enjoy using the OP-1 Endless Sequencer with my Moog a few times. Still, I found that I enjoyed the OP-1 most when it was being used on its own on the couch or something. However, I think the utility of the OP-1 varies from person to person so you won’t know until you try it out for yourself. I hope the RK-006 works well for you.

You can lift the tape and drop it in the sampler… so you can either play it on the synth sampler or chop it up in the drum sampler… i often do a b-side of the tape loop with This technique

1 Like

Give Polyend Tracker a go … radio sampling is there and that thing can quantize as well :wink:

1 Like

No battery though…

Hello all,
I am having a problem getting the Audio over USB to work with Live 11. Midi is coming in to Live 11, and I have tested it with GarageBand and audio over USB is indeed working as it should. I have also tested this with my older Mac Pro system running Live 9 and audio is working there too. Ive tried to duplicate all settings but still no audio over USB to Live 11.
Has anyone experienced this? Trying to avoid reinstalling Live 11 and it currently seems their site is down anyways. Thanks for any help!

no problems with usb over audio in live 11…check your configs, inputs, and also the mixer

Service center siedler is just crazy bad service. So slow and lack of information. How was your experience?

What you describe. But they blamed the covid, and I would believe them.
Still, the communication part was substandard.

My OG OP-1 now gets FM broadcasting feature!

11 Likes

Been using one of these for a while. I mostly use it on the op-z to record into the op-1. Because I hate cables.

8 Likes

I’ve been using my OP-1 to sample a Moog Grandmother, and it’s just great. I can instantly turn any patch into a polyphonic patch, and take several patches with me on the go.

It’s also neat to record the Grandmother to the tape. It’s a surprisingly fun and useful combo.

I was sampling the Grandmother into Ableton, but somehow this seems more appropriate. Of course now I want the OP-1 F with its fancy audio quality, but right now this is really great.

3 Likes

Come on convince me is better than a 1010 Blackbox as I’m torn between the 2 :rofl:

1 Like