Teenage Engineering OP-1

I’ve watched the intro and function tutorials - which has some tips / shortcuts advice that’s helped your enjoyment of your OP1?

Xposted in OP-Z thread but since there is a OP1 version included posting here too.

Operator202 is half price this week, until 25th September.

Just £4.49 for over 700 samples consisting of 3 Drum Kits each containing 24 samples, 25 Tone kits each 24 samples, one for each note, 47 Synth samples, specially formatted for OP-1 and OP-Z

Meticulously crafted and sampled from my Roland MC-202, these are excellent and new sounds ideal for idm, synthwave, deep house, acid and techno.

Get it here

Demos

3 Likes

So, the OG OP-1’s are still sold by TE on their website. But most retailers (Thomann for example) do not list them anymore. Are they being phased out?

good question, probably noone knows :wink:

1 Like

Somebody knows :eyes:

1 Like

See the last comment on that article.

2 Likes

yes, this isn´t true, but bloggers don´t give a fuck if they can write a catchy clickbait article…

1 Like

Bye bye OP-1 :wave:
Sold it yesterday to my friend @funkylsk

Maybe one day I’ll get the newcomer… Maybe not. We’ll see next year.
Op-1f is all I wanted the OP-1 to be. Except the insane price tag.

To be honest I was a bit disappointed that TE wouldn’t let me get an OP-1 field for a good price, after 3 years of being admin/moderator at op-forums… I was not surprised, as the community has not even been part of the 10Y celebration.
So yeah, getting rid of everything TE now.

3 Likes

That’s rough.

Here I am trying out the OP-1 for the first time. I’m more curious than anything, but not sure I’ll hang onto it, or even if I’ll want an OP-1 field later. It’s an interesting workflow.

I really love it, it was my first real synth and going through all the different areas to show my friend how to use it, I could tell I still have a thing for this little beast.
But I also know its flaws, especially after having mastered the Elektron ways.

You have to accept it for what it does, like every piece of hardware, and see where it leads you.

1 Like

I have a OP-z that I had long before the Elektron gear (just March of this year). I’ve learned there’s tons of creativity in limitations.

I can see how this can do the same, but I’m not so sure that I want to, if that makes sense?

I’m gonna give it a fair shot. The size makes it extremely easy to have in a separate room so there’s no competing between gear and workflows.

1 Like

Hi Nauts, I just released Original Generator. A unique sound / sample pack for the Teenage Engineering OP-1 which is available at Teenage Engineering OP-1 Sound Pack | Original Generator

Featuring 5 multi-sampled drum kits, 15 multi-sampled vintage instruments like the Orchestron, Mellotron and various Pianos which you can load using a drum (sampler) channel and 30 single-sampled instruments which you can load using a synth (sampler) channel for a total of 50 sounds!

All Patches are crafted with great care using (multi) samples of my personal sample library so these are not just simple presets, but custom sounds.

Here are some musical examples and a simple patch play through which I hope you’ll enjoy. Cheers!

The lo-bit Op1: there must be 1000s of them out there.
there is still unlimited amazing music to be made on them. Sure your 4 stems might be mono and a little bitty but … if the idea has socks you can make it walk and run in post production.

Field is a luxury, but OG has all you need if you like the workflow.

2 Likes

Hello, I randomly figured out how to resolve this issue and wanted to share. I was trying to just use the internal mic on my laptop to record some audio in to Live and it wasn’t working. I Googled the solution and then thought… Maybe this will fix the OP-1 problem with audio not coming in. It does now work, I undid the process just to double check and the problem of not getting audio over usb came back.

Go to System Preferences
Click Security & Privacy
Click on the Privacy tab
Find Microphone in the left column
Make sure Live is check marked

Cheers and Happy New Year!

2 Likes

Just put one of these in the Share Your Tunes thread so figured it belonged here as well, along with the others I’ve done. Basically, OLD Tape and Album files from 10 years ago. It’s cool to go back and here some of the little tricks I was doing when first learning how to be an Operator. Now I have the field and I use it a little differently but, this inspires me to do more with it and maybe not take it so seriously. Some of these beats are extremely goofy or downright weird but you can hear I was having fun doing it.

3 Likes

Cross posting this request here, thanks!