Tempera: A New Granular Instrument

Tempera is a new granular instrument by the makers of the Vector Synth. It features 8 sample slots, each represented by a verticle column, that can be played back polyphonically, 4 granular emitters, envelopes, lfos, a filter, and a reverb.

This looks stunning and finally a really fresh innovative interface!

21 Likes

Reminds me of my old tenori on

6 Likes

looks rad although for a 12 minute demo explaining what it does I still donā€™t feel totally clear on its basic functionality.

7 Likes

this one looks nice and interestingā€¦kinda got a bit of that old good gas going on hereā€¦ :smile_cat:

1 Like

This sounds extremely cool, but yeah I really donā€™t understand the functionality. Regardless Iā€™m excited that it exists - granular is the one thing that I havenā€™t found a good piece of hardware for for yet, I donā€™t really like using Pigments.

2 Likes

Tempera (definition) : a method of painting with pigments dispersed in an emulsion miscible with water.

In the video above at 7:20 he makes wavetables with Pigments that he loads in to Tempera.

6 Likes

Iā€™m expecting this one to draw strong interest, let us now observe whether or not they intend to fully support their product.

Iā€™m also a bit suspicious of any reviewer who keeps pronouncing the word tempera as ā€œtempuraā€ but all of a sudden I find myself very eager to have lunchā€¦

6 Likes

I see a peek into the future of what the new Octatrack could be capable of.
8 tracks of sequenceable granular machines ā€¦

3 Likes

I would be concerned about it getting battered in shipping or fried when you first turn it on.

Iā€™ll show myself out. :crazy_face:

9 Likes

that had a lovely granular texture, you should tell jokes all the time.

polyphonic jokes, that is.

2 Likes

Very OT, but I have a suspicion that he does this on purpose to get people to comment ā€œwhy are you pronouncing it like that??ā€. As we all know, interactions on YT boost your video and feed the algorithm. I remember when he reviewed the model:cycles and kept pronouncing it ā€œmodalā€ (i.e. mode-all).

Delightfully on-topic: Itā€™s nice to see a device that is at least somewhat innovative in design. The size is nice and the interface looks intuitive. Iā€™m looking forward to seeing and hearing more.

2 Likes

Interesting. Iā€™m less forgiving of calculated hype-machining than I am with excusably ignorant faux pas so Iā€™ll hope for the latter and lock my doors against any more of the former. Even in a dog eat dog world I would just assume we all ate the same cake and left it at that.

Very interested in this thing if you can sample directly into it. Jeremy didnā€™t make any mention of that, but on their countdown website it says ā€œrecord ā€ resample ā€ granularizeā€ above the countdown so fingers crossed.

The rhythmic sequencing reminds me a bit of Cheat Codes on Norns.

2 Likes

Looks slick as hell.

2 Likes

Missed opportunity to place tempura on the tabletop.
Looks like a pretty cool little device.

2 Likes

Tasty Chips GR-1

nice I want one

There seems to be a mic with a small gain encoder on the right as well

O Tempera! O mores!

(Someone had to say it.)

2 Likes

Anyone with a Lemondrop got an opinion on how this compares? Iā€™ve not really dabbled with granular synthesis but whenever I see it in action I find it real interesting.