Tempo fluctuation with ableton live

Hello community,

I’m starting at Elektron with a digitakt that I bought recently. I have checked the latest updates and everything is ok. However, I am working with Ableton live and my digitakt which I have connected in midi via my rme firface UC sound card. I think I have tried everything to wire the tempo of my digitakt and nothing to do, there is always a tempo fluctuation on my digitakt. Do you have a solution so that I can integrate my Digitakt into my live.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards

…welcome and no worries…external midi sync always shows some jitter/fluctuation when u look at the hardwaresides bpm counter display…get it going and u will realise, i might look freaky but it sounds smooth anyways…

in case it’s also audible, just really not in sync at all, i guess ur running some windows application and must double check ur rme drivers…

but if it’s just one bpm up and down from time to time on ur takts display, that’s only a vision thing u can ignore…the external sequencer will play along perfectly…

4 Likes

Yes, that’s a sort of built in humanize functionality. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for the answers.

I work with ableton.

The fact is that I also use other external machines, and this is the first time that even by modifying the sound card buffer and the track delay compensations, I can’t get a sound that taps in time. So I can’t use the digitakt as I would like if it is typing sounds out of time.

And if it’s just on the bpm meter that’s ok with me. I also appreciate the humanization of the sequences, but this is not it. It’s clearly out of place.

And frustrating at the same time.

Thanks again, if you have any tips or other experience to share, I’m interested.

1 Like

…do u use overbridge within that ableton mainframe…?
and is ur system setup on windows or mac osx…?

does ur other external gear also run their own sequencing…?..or dedicated single midi notes adressed to specific channels…?

sure ur takt is really only receiving pure midi clock and nothing else on top…?

does ur audio interface handle the midi comunication alongside ur audiorate clocking or do u have a dedicated midi interface for that…?

does all ur external gear is directly connected to ur audio interface or is there any kind of additional audio hub inbetween…?..takt is talking via usb or physical outputs…?

…and that comment by rytmmachine, stating that’s sort of an in built humanizing was more kind of ironic intended… :wink: :wink: :wink:

1 Like

Yea you shouldn’t struggle to sync the bpm of the takt really - i’ve never had an issue with any configuration I’ve had it in, I would suspect something else is going on - maybe some weird midi loopback? or follow reeloys clues/suggestions :+1:

If all else fails try a fresh everything - takt+ableton project etc. in case theres something set somewhere unintentionally

Thanks a lot for your interest of my problem

… are you using overbridge in this ableton mainframe … ?

I don’t use overbridge but I have it installed

and is your system configured on Windows or Mac OSX…?

I work on Windows

do your other external devices also run their own sequencing…?..or dedicated single midi notes addressed to specific channels…?

My other external equipment uses specific channels and has no built-in sequencers.

of course your takt really only receives pure midi clock and nothing else…?

I’m pretty sure, but I’ll check again.

does your audio interface handle midi communication in parallel with your audio clock or do you have a dedicated midi interface for that…?

My sound card just handles the sounds and all my instruments are connected directly to the sound card. As far as midi is concerned I have a usb midi port.

is all your external equipment directly connected to your audio interface or is there some kind of additional audio hub in between…?..takt is talking about via USB or physical outputs…?

My Digitakt communicates with physical audio and midi outputs.

… and that comment by rytmmachine, stating that it’s a kind of built-in humanization was more ironic…:wink: :wink: :wink:

I understood that… Thanks :wink:

Hey,

Thanks for your reply, I’ll start a new project and see where the problem lies.

…at first glance, if ur notes are assumed to be correct, i would say, sure ur takt is out of takt if u try to sync it via it’s midi OUTS…!
try it’s midi INS… :wink:

while i don’t understand that usb midi part…ur using physical midi ports on the receiving ends but usb on the sending end…!?

try natehorns reply first for now…and crosscheck that midi confusion here…