TERRA by Soma Laboratory

i’m going to get one and start a jam band just because of this comment.

1 Like

Please do, and move to Glastonbury in the UK so we can herald the coming of the equinox. :smiley:

1 Like

Mine just makes a quiet ticking sound?

16 Likes

they have a manual and specs up.

https://somasynths.com/terra_specs/

1 Like

also interesting that it has midi out for use as a controller, mapping the internal gyroscope to pitch bend, but midi in is less useful.

1 Like

I remember Vlad saying that there will be two different versions, the one we always see in wood and another one cheaper with a more standard shape and no wood.

From Soma’s terra page

The final design is in development and we intend to make several different versions.

Any news about the other versions? I’m not really into the wood one but I’m curious about the design of the other.

no idea, but they mentioned a cheaper version with metal case awhile back. we’ll see.

1 Like

Amazing instrument.

1 Like

they’re holding a poll for the shape on multiple platforms. the square really does look like a cutting board.

SOMA laboratory shared a post on Instagram: "Dear SOMA friends,
We created a Square version of TERRA as we promised. The functionality, sound and price are the same. Just different shapes of the enclosure.

Now we need to estimate in what ratio by...

1 Like

I love SOMA’s instruments and the concept and sound of this one as well. But both wood designs are really hideous imho. I’m a bit confused why this was chosen as the final two options.

If you go with wood to make it feel more like an acoustical instrument that’s great. But then it would have made more sense to make the design more effective like carving out palm rests or something

4 Likes

Is I hate both a option…

It is wood, you can literally make it any shape… why is both options the ugliest options I could think of?
They night as well just cut out a chunk of tree and leave the bark on and everything… it would be an improvement…

Or just hire the synth maker that makes the crazy synth’s out of wood to make a design… the guy that makes the coccunquetes or whatever… the irtax organ or something. Make it like that, those look good for what they are

after realizing the original case wasn’t actually a solid block of wood hollowed out, the shape made even less sense. it’s an organic shape but manufactured. i could see if the shape helps ergonomics/playability. maybe it does. the square cutting board doesn’t really do it for me. the original shape definitely is more interesting to me, even if it is contrived.

Maybe they can put the time on it too.

8 Likes
5 Likes

That demo turned it from meh to totally on my radar.

3 Likes

Me too. Look at my last post in this thread. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m starting to think that I might like this more than the Osmose.

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking. Osmose looks like the future, but this looks like the future, but more tribal and hippie.

Edit: like a return to the roots, play this synth under the stars type ish.

2 Likes

I wood like to see more of the Terra, but I don’t think it will be very poplar.

7 Likes

Bit beechy.

1 Like