TERRA by Soma Laboratory

Woody.
images (45)

1 Like

I just filled the pre-order form.

4 Likes

i’ve been on the pre-order for what feels like a year. … i do hope it’s coming soon.

1 Like

Wow … do we have any clue about price, given that the soma website is not telling us ?

1 Like

Not available yet.

Yes, understand. My question still stands though … e.g. any hints in interviews ?

EDIT: aha … 1000€ mentioned as ballpark (for cheapest version) in video above.

1 Like

wow, just watched the solidstate vid and read the manual (!!!)

a true electronic instrument, perhaps only this and the theremin…
can’t think of anything else that allows for this level of human expressiveness…

4 Likes

This and a Pulsar would be a lovely combo.

I’m not sold on the design, nothing against wood but I think I’d like it better in a Lyra type enclosure, but it does sound very nice and looks to be very expressive, so that is the most important aspect.

The square wood one just looks like a chopping board, the more organic one reminds me of the original Latronic Notron a bit.

In the Sonicstate video Nick Batt seemed totally captivated by it, he didn’t even ask about PWM :laughing:

Edit: I hope the midi input will eventually have more than just clock support. I get that not all the expression could be covered by midi but even a bit of interpolation/smoothing between discrete CC values would be better than nothing IMHO.

3 Likes

The idea is the Terra can comfortably be played on your lap, the grooves fold themselves into you. Much like the way a Strat body does. That said, a Lyra enclosure would look cooler.

prepping veg will have never been so fun.

the fact they’ve included USB for fw updates i’d hope would mean there’s scope for new synth algorithms, arps and other tricks down the down the line.

the manual does list some CC control

1 Like

I think that is out only.

1 Like

yeah quite right

1 Like
11 Likes

I’m on the list.

Because why the fuck wouldn’t I be?

7 Likes

I’m glad to hear this I’m hoping to pick one up in the marketplace at some point (hehe)

1 Like

I’m struggling to decide between the Terra and the Enner. They both seem so cool in different ways. I’m more into percussion than melodic synthesis. The Enner seems more suited to drones and weirdo percussion, whereas the Terra has the most lovely melodic synthesis engines, not sure about percussive stuff.

1 Like

I like the Enner, but the expressive control of the Terra has my mind racing with ideas.

I doubt I’ll do anything remotely melodic with it. It wasn’t really on my radar because I thought it was going to be a very melody-based polysynth with a funky interface, but watching the loopop demo and the Sonic state video it’s really a lot more than that, some of those algorithms are insane and the controls allow for so much variety and madness.

I even like the way it looks.

Also, from the point of view of accessibility, this is perfect for me. No crocodile clips, no tiny little knobs or cluttered controls for my arthritic cripple fingers to fumble over.

5 Likes

Yeah it does look the business, doesn’t it? I’m seriously lacking in the melodic department however what I love about the Terra (as with the Isla S2400 funnily enough) is that you can define the specific note relating to the buttons, but you don’t need to know what scale/mode it’s in. That’s so cool for me because I’d much rather program a scale/mode by ear rather than by using theory.

2 Likes

Looks perfect for hooking up with drums and a looper for some improvised techno.