The AABA Challenge: Let’s Make Bad Music!

Here’s a song I just finished today. I created it in FL Studio. This track doesn’t completely follow the AABA form, but it’s close. I also posted this as my contribution to the Movie Trailer/Soundtrack Transmission Challenge #1.

1 Like

Deed eet.

Took an hour a day before I went to bed, was a bit like little prayer after a hard day of work. Then another hour today, for finishing everything. Around 5 hours in total, as I could not make it every day.

So here’s my careless tracks for this week:

Allthough there are issues, I’m pretty satisfied with the resulting mood. Couldn’t say I do not care, actually :smiley:

Will make the tracks a bit shorter next time, as the ideas do not carry as far as I pushed them to. Really interested in what you all think about it.

3 Likes

Nice! Also, 3 tracks in 5 hours is pretty darn productive! It takes me more like 5 hours per track, when I can find that kind of time.

The first one reminds me a bit of Stimming, BTW.

Thank you.

I just tried to strictly limit myself to one hour per track, which meant that I really had timer for a very minimal amount of sound design. One synth or one drum kit or one bass - the rest is reused from old projects.

And then I tried to play AR, A4, OT and the good old TI like instruments, one at a time and very focused on musicality. Had a video in mind that kept me pretty occupied during Christmas:

Good ol’ Jeff. Still thinking about trying to do that on the Rytm…

3 Likes

I haven’t given up on this, but I’ve got this thing I’m trying to make and I’m trying to get it out.

Don‘t care too much, you could make it worse :wink:

1 Like

got out of the groove of making something every night. i’m trying to learn piano and also want to spend quality time with the prophet 12. it feels like this one took maybe 30 minutes, but there’s also not much going on, musically speaking.

6 Likes

this is from a couple of days ago. nigella lawson samples are gold. the clips are from a chocolate cake recipe video.

5 Likes

Wow, that one is really smoooooth!

1 Like

I really like this.

Which is funny because I fucking hate Nigella.

1 Like

Got it out! (“When Your Rock Show is Next Door to a Sexy Vampire Nightclub”)

1 Like

haha… she says some ridiculous stuff, at least, and there’s tons of material to source.

1 Like

a hastily put together beat

3 Likes

For some reason very nervous about posting here. I used my digitone + digitakt for the drums, sequenced with ableton. Used the trio of doublet, bokeh, roulette from Fors for the bass and “noise” sections. I am very new to making music, and I have a lot to learn, but I think this challenge (actually “finishing” a track rather than dreaming about perfection) is a great motivator, thanks for the push!

(FWIW, I only really got back into listening to music (after a long hiatus) about 10 years ago, via movie soundtracks. I still havea lot of listening to do as well.)

5 Likes

You don’t have to be nervous. We won’t bite!

(Nice work!)

1 Like

took like an hour after putting my kid to bed and tossed this together after listening to a bunch of roulé and crydamoure stuff this week. is it as good as their stuff? haha… no.

5 Likes

another quick thing pieced together on the couch, just messing with a couple of phrases

2 Likes

Definitely Roule influence :smiley:

Haven‘t thought of their stuff for years. You are pretty close!

thanks! their style is relatively simple: lots of samples from the 70s and 80s late disco years, some added minimal drums and synth lines here and there, and high/low pass filtering. add just enough variation to be suitable for the dance floor.

Noodling with RYTM, only had it a week or two. Love how it sounds. This is not really a track, been a busy week, but wanted to try and post a thing for the aaba, to keep me moving

1 Like