The AABA Challenge: Let’s Make Bad Music!

Also a sat on the floor jam (rainy bank holiday Monday here), AR+A4, tiny bit of compression in Ableton afterwards.

3 Likes

Really nice! I like the vibe and structure. I also think you made good use of panning & stereo. The LFO panning on the arpy siren-like sound that starts at about half way was a little disorienting since it went on so long. Overall, great work, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

That is a super helful note, thank you. I had that panning LFO in the same perf macro as the sustain and FX sends. I’ve move it to a separate one now, so I can do a short burst of panning, and not induce motion sickness!

(It really helps 'cos my goal now is to put 3 tracks together for an EMOM, and this is one of the ideas, I don’t want to make anyone physically sick with panning!)

2 Likes

it’s been awhile since messing with the a4. after taking it off the shelf this evening and plugging it in, i found some messed up or smudged pixels in the display. nooooo! i also found a pattern that i thought was lost. turns out i’m just not good at managing projects and kits on this thing. anyway, here’s a simple semi-evolving pattern with just a couple of parts, some automation via overbridge in ableton, and minimal effects and eq.

1 Like

khaled said i should make another one.

EDIT: Oops, replied to you by mistake, Octagonist. Sorry!

I’m now listening to your tracks because of this accident, and I’m really enjoying it. I like how there’s a nice flow between patterns. Do you use song mode or just chain patterns? Do you record master out? Great job!

Some monomachine-only stuff. I have been digging this machine for more than a decade, but I still carelessly record hundreds of drafts like this.

3 Likes

Thanks very much! Glad you liked them :slight_smile:

I don’t have a consistent workflow yet. The four tracks used four different methods! One of them even uses the AR and OT arrangers in parallel, because I didn’t know about sending pattern change messages! There’s a mix of sequenced and sampled synths. I’m deliberately trying to have very few musical ideas. Audio flows from synths -> OT -> AR, and recorded into Live with the AR as class-compliant interface (not Overbridge).

I don’t think I’ve nailed it at all yet! I’m pausing this process for a month or two to make “sketches”, learning new musical and technical techniques out of the context of “tracks”.

started working on this the other day. it turned into a remix.

1 Like

“Live” from A4+Ar -> AH -> Ableton
Best I can do this week.

3 Likes

Is that Fela Kuit with the “well well well”?

thanks for checking out my stuff! it’s roots manuva. here’s the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltP7L16A8Hs

1 Like

How do you isolate the vocals? (Sorry if this is obvious.)

This is great! I’m in a bit of a funk these days, so my output is low. I’m working on stuff, but slowly.

1 Like

ah, just download an acapella track like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD1WtAkhR7E

3 Likes

There is spleeter too, though it isn’t always that good. (GitHub - deezer/spleeter: Deezer source separation library including pretrained models.) I’ve used the Max4Live spleeter device a little, but there always seem to be artifacts in the “stems” it creates.

2 Likes

What a fun idea! It’s sorta like Jamuary but with a bit more of a framework. :grin:
I’ve kept it pretty rigid intro-AABABA for this one, and it’s sorta liberating painting by numbers so to speak :slight_smile:

4 Likes

not really AABA format, but this is something i started piecing together on the couch the other night. when my wife first heard this mashup, she frowned, then covered herself in a blanket and shut off the light. nevertheless, i persisted. also, ableton has been ruining my laptop this week with file indexing. with any luck, it will survive and not be molten aluminum in the morning.

3 Likes

channeling harvey sutherland tonight. drums and a little bass are samples from indeep’s “last night a dj saved my life,” a classic.

4 Likes

did a drone thing. It’s long. You don’t have to listen to it

2 Likes