The analog Mixer thread - have a favorite?

Same on my 802 vlz4, I have to pan slightly left to get the stereo channels centered.
Apart from that, it’s a very reliable workhorse.

1 Like

I bought my 32 channel Ghost 3-4 years ago. And its the best purchase ive done. Workflow is awesome and really like having all those features at my fingertips. No more going into plugins for eq or volume.

I got mine for about $500. I later bought a 24 channel for 300. Picked it apart so i have spare channels for when something goes bad. But everything has been working fine for now. Some scratchy pots but most have gotten better with use.

But i do see the fear of something breaking. At least it is fully modular on the inside. Even if it does take some time to deassemble it.

2 Likes

Very happy for you ! It´s a joy indeed. I thought long about it, but after two failed mixers I am done with vintage ones. I am happy to get barley enough time to make music. But I am putting money to the side for the APB H1020.

Sounds like a plan. Ive been dreaming of one of those Audient mixers. But its going to be expensive to get all the features of the Ghost in a newer package. hehe.

1 Like

Oh yeah, that would be such a dream. But my government aka wifey would never approve :smiley:

I think Luke Slater have a Audient. And Steve Rachmad is still using his Ghost and his mixes sound ace .

Would like to hear more about your workflow, especially how you integrate the Midas with interface, converters, hardware, etc.

I’m not using my 320 anywhere near its capabilities!

1 Like

Oh, you really should!

I’m using a basic Behringer PX something patchbay as for routing. It’s a simple normal connection with top row for synths/samplers and bottom row for 24 outs from the Presonus Studio mobile 192 interface, using Creamware A16 ultra for 16 in/out Adat conversion.

From the patchbay it goes to all mono channels (AKs 1-16 & OTs 25-32 or 1-24 DAW out) and then I connect stereo synths (Prophet X and Blue Marvins) straight into the console’s 17-24.

Buses 1-2 have a Kurzweil Rumour as insert and buses 3-4 have an AH as insert. FX 1 send goes to AK 1 in, FX 2 send goes to AK 2 in and their returns go back to FX 1 & 2 returns in the console. Aux 1-2 go to Behringer V-verb and returns back through Aux 1 return. Monitor 1 sends to EHX V256 vocoder which I insert manually in whatever mono channel. Monitor 2 is for routing any audio out to Moog Minitaur (which is connected to AK 1 R in) or one of the Blue Marvins.

Direct outs go from the 4 buses, the Main B stereo and then I have a sort of moving preference to whatever other 14 mono channels I want to multitrack at the moment (yes, a bit annoying to go to the back of the console but I usually keep the same 14 for longer periods :grin:).

I also have an Art desktop patchbay (don’t remember the model) to select whether I want to route the direct outs from buses 1-4 and Main B to Studio One or to the OTs. Currently, default is to route to the OTs for sampling whatever runs through the console since my workflow leans on the OTs for recording/mangling and arranging everything.

When done with the more “static” sequenced stuff, I record to Studio One and from there I try to sprinkle linear, evolving stuff as pure audio directly in Studio One (usually from the Prophet X or the upright piano which I have permanently stereo mic:ed into channel 1-2 preamp, just activating the phantom power to override AK 1s stereo 1).

If I get this far, it’s got a chance to actually be mixed using the Softube Console combo and some UAD plugs :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Yamaha MGP32X

Massive connectivity options. Great EQ. Decent onboard FX and compressors.
Great build quality.

4 Likes

Boss bx80, allen heath zedi6fx

It really seems like analogue mixers kind of peaked back in the 90s/early 2000s because there is not much new stuff out there that grabs me unless you want to spend thousands.

What I mean is the old pre VLZ Mackies have a nice sound to them, have tons of flexibility in terms of Auxs and direct inserts. Direct inserts are a huge deal since you can use a ring/tip cable and bust out those old pedals laying around, or send them right into an interface if you want. Everything I am looking at now is either missing some functionality, or too large (i prefer 19 inch rack size).

I’m surprised there are not more compact analogue mixers that have 16+ channels. Just seems like something that would make sense with all the hardware being sold right now. Ideal for me is 22 channels - 16 mono and 3 stereo pairs.

My one and only mixer, SSL SiX! Sounds fantastic. Paired with a patch bay, ton of routing abilities in a small package.

5 Likes

I met with a tech today who told me it is expensive to fix the old Mackie mixers and not worth it since typically the entire pc board needs to be replaced. Which is a bummer since I have some dead channels on mine. So now I am thinking I really need to find an alternative mixer at some point. Something analog for sure but something new and modular is the way to go. Sounds like maybe an A&H is in my future.

1 Like

My Mackie 1402 mk 3 has a problem with the Control room Out / Headphones Out. Sound slowly attentuates on left Channel. When wiggling the fader it comes back and leds are bursting into clippping. Main Output is fine and all channel are working. I opened the mixer to see if i can replace smth obvious. Looks fine and i lack electrical knowlege to fix it myself. This really makes me hesistant to purchase a bigger analog mixer again. I have now an adad expansion for my interface with 8 direct outs and a small Mix8 which i still had around.

Well many of the newer mixers are a modular build which is very good news for repairs. The question is if they have the routing you need and are used to from your old units.

But this is why you can still get an old Macki board for $200ish - because if they die, it’s over - bin it unless you know of someone who can get new boards for cheap.

isnt with older Mackies generally the issue the ribbon cable that needs to be reseated or replaced? Ez fix

Used a Soundcraft Ghost professionally at a TV station for a while. Had a small Mackie16 VLZ I think?, briefly for a couple tracks before it found its way back onto Craigslist. Then picked up a broken Soundtracs Topaz 32x8 Miami version, repaired it, worked great when it wasn’t overheating, which may or may not have been from running super distorted basslines at high gain to get the desk’s harmonic distortion layered in :sweat_smile: Eventually it stopped working during a hot Carolina summer, had it recapped pre-covid but that still didn’t fix it. Around this time switched to a Softube Console1 (the. Channel strip version, the fader model came out a few years later and didn’t initially integrate with LogicProX) Console1 ships with a SSL4k emulation, I upgraded to the SSL9k which is crystal clear! While I do love the ease of use of ITB mixing, the tactile and impressive furniture of a giant desk is a lot of fun.

Sage advice from an old timer Sound Engineer I apprenticed under, if your gear fails get it repaired immediately! You’ll never know when you need it for the next project, and it’s depressing staring at broken crap laying around being useless, get it serviced!

Sounds like I need to listen to my mentor😂

1 Like

Peavey RQ200 very nice smallish mixer and can be run from 2x 9v batteries.

A lot of modern analog mixers are either too expensive/limited or shite, a lot of old ones are great but pricey now and a maintenance commitment/headache.

If only Mackie were still as good as they were when the 1202/1604/LM3204 were current, but I guess they were forced to adapt by “market forces”.

1 Like

No the issue is generally the channels die on the PCboard which is expensive to replace. Ribbon cable is a good thing to check though first, for sure.

Behringer X2442 16 channels, 2 Stereo Sub Groups, 4 Aux with(!!) return inputs, Stereo USB interface and it is 19“ which is harder to find nowadays. Does what it’s supposed to do and for a good price. Also I use the direct outs and sub groups to go into Saffire 56 interface with 2x Adat. Simple but flexible setup for me

When prices go back to normal ( or shall I say if?) I will look into a mixer with better USB interface capabilities and then drop the Saffire.

But the setup is good for my workflow. I only turn on what I need. Mixer for dawless and then in the box for arranging or „mastering“