The analog Mixer thread - have a favorite?

Phonic BKX8800 from the late 80’s early 90’s just to route a bunch of things into a couple of effects and compressor. It’s a nice tidy no frills mixer which overdrives nicely and looks cool and paid peanuts for it.

This was the first thing i looked into. Ribbons looked in place. I did not move it very often… thing is build like a tank kind of a waste to just bin it. I keep it around.

1 Like

This.

20 Likes

I´ve got myself a Mackie 1642VLZ4 for my live sets. And for that it´s just great because of all the features it has (as already has been mention above). I also lend my Mackie to our DAVE Festival in Dresden when artists requested a live mixer for their sets like JakoJako, Hüma Utku or Grand River. So the good old/new Mackie is still a much requested and used live mixer.

But I don´t use it for studio use because I felt it somehow degrades the sound quality. Its not so sparkling any more (checked that with a DFAM) and has a lot of channel bleeding! (Why there is still sound with all faders down??).

1 Like

Yeah I should have specified studio use in my post. That is the grail - a good 16 studio mixer. For example, the SSl Six sounds great but is expensive and a PITA to get all the outs out of, plus it is limited.

Different mixers for different scenario’s:

Summing: SSL SiX or a TL Audio Fattrack if I want tubes
Composition: Sony MXP 390, those eq’s!!
ITB: 2 Metric Halo 2882’s
Drums/nostalgia: Boss BX-800
Also used as a mixer but yeah: Octatrack

Besides that I’m sort of thinking of getting a Herbs & Stones Pathways, a really great matrix mixer with added cv functionality.

5 Likes

Always wanted one of these!

That looks dope! What is it?

1 Like

That looks fantastic!

1 Like

It’s a custom made Verde Audio tube mixer I had it originally made for Ciat-Lonbarde instruments.

I would highly recommend to check out his website. Some incredible synths and gadgets there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds fantastic too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice!!

1 Like

Really a shame what happened to them, they made really nice things and were always very helpful and friendly.

I bought the SiX to replace the Fattrack and gain some buscomp magic and flexibility(and transparacy), but it never really fully took its place. Actually i’m considering selling the SiX and going back to the Fattrack(Drawmer 1968me on the main inserts, talk about tubes overload) but it needs some repair unfortunately.

One thing that is a big takeaway from this whole ordeal is f*#k transparacy. Character is what you(sorry, I) need, and color. I’m not trying to make pop here, I couldn’t even if I tried :smiley:

1 Like

Some crazy creations on that site!

1 Like

recently got the A&H Zed R16. never been much of a mixer expert, but it’s much better sounding than my mackie 1202 vlz4, which was better sounding than my first mixer; the mackie mix12fx

definitely my current favorite

2 Likes

Yeah, Doctor Snuggles level stuff. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why does ch1 say “dead”?

I love my playdifferently model 1…

4 Likes

its scratchy. i just wanted to remember not to use that one until i get in there with deoxit

But it is an old mixer, and I got it for a $300 pedal trade, so definitely worth it for the eq alone. I don’t really know about the pre amps because I’m using synths, but everyone says they’re great. For me, it has the perfect routing and I/o options, perfect hybrid functionality (into the daw through pre amp and eq -hf/lf/2x mid freq- via fw and back into the mixer for analog summing or just using the analog eq as a hardware “plugin” from itb), and the overall sound is miles ahead of what I’m used to. There is so much headroom that I can actually place everything in the mix the way I want, it’s super clear, and I can sculpt and pan everything beautifully. Night and day from my old setup. Plus I really like having it on its own desk so I can sit in front of just the mixer and focus on mixing. A little inconvenient for quick small changes like aux sends or mutes because I can’t reach from my main desk. but if I was working in the daw, I think I could control most of that from there.

I couldn’t get the firmware to work after I bought the fw 800 cable plus 2 adapters to thunderbolt usb c on my laptop, but I may try adat if I can figure out how to get it going out and back into the mixer the same way FireWire does. I think if I get a uphoria interface or something, I can get most of the way there. Gotta re-read the gs thread on it but it’s a really nice piece of gear all around. Feels good man

1 Like

Mackie 1640i + Behringer Xenyx XL2400.
Mackie is connected via FW to TB Adapter to a MB Air M1.
Some DO from the 2400 go to an ICE-16 from A&H for dawless stuff.
Busses from both desks can be routed to the ICE also.
Or to the Mackie. Lots of Auxes and love the EQs of both desks.
And the inserts, used with outboard.
All interconnected with 3 Samson S-Plus patchbays.

1 Like