The Behringer era

Lmao

1 Like

It’s also funny that Roland (Sh-3A), and plenty of other companies tried copying Moog back in the day. But now, that’s ok, that’s all in the past. Also, I was recently watching a video on Roland’s new Jupiter XM, and it has both Moog, and Sequential filter emulations. There are people brainwashed to vote for one party, and there are people brainwashed to vote for the other.

1 Like

Me…I’m cool with it so long as credit is given to those who paved the way for the clones.
Respect. (And if the originator is cool with it)

1 Like

I am not familiar with the Sh-3A so perhaps you can answer this for me. Did Roland design the Sh-3A or the Jupiter XM to look exactly like a Moog in layout with a name that is a play on any Moog product so they could brand it as said product?

1 Like

I don’t agree with you (at all) but still I don’t see why your comment should be flagged. Sorry about that.

3 Likes

No, visually, they looked different. Which brings up a good question. Is it okay to steal a companies sound, but not the overall visual design? Personally, if they aren’t breaking any laws, then I don’t care either way. I grew up playing a Peavey Predator, which is a straight Strat knockoff. There was no way I could have afforded a Fender, so I am glad that Peavey was around.

1 Like

Would it be better if they stole the sound and put a different cover on it? Everybody would know what is inside.

And to one of the posts above: I don’t think any company would ever say “I’m cool with you cloning”

Not sure why that got flagged either. That post is def not outside guidelines.
No need to be sorry. Not your fault.

I wonder if this could be more democratic, and a post that was flagged could be greyed out as it is now for a given period, and be open to votes. If deemed acceptable, it could be unhidden.

4 Likes

I vote for that feature.

Your post was on point.

2 Likes

Not sure if the post should have been flagged or not, but it was pretty much the opposite of what the reality is…

In reality, no-one complained when there were expensive clones of Minimoogs etc (Creamware, Studio Electronics etc). It was only when Behringer, the root of all evil, started releasing good quality clones of classic synths for cheap prices, when the bashing and complaining began.

As a consumer, I have no idea why, I love what Behringer is doing. But that is how things actually are…

3 Likes

You make a really good point, and I even bought a SE 1 in 1990ish, but unlike B they didnt build a business based on cloning current products like mackie mixers and Boss pedals. In the pedal world they have the same discussion Boss vs Behringer clones.
And the complaints didnt start with the synths, it started when B began making mixers.

Yes they do the consumers a big favour by making products available to consumers at a low price point based on reverse engineering. But what happens once they start making cheap Octatracks, Digitones and machinedrums, I am pretty sure a any $299 Elektron clone would sell like hot cakes and make everyone in here super happy.

I got a deepmind12d for 400usd last year. I use that machine more than all my other analog gear. I’d love to see a mk2 with audio in, multi timbral, and maybe a Wavetable oscillator (like on the Peak/ambika) or a macro oscillator (like on mutable instruments Plaits). I wish each of the oscillators volumes could be it controlled independently. Sequencer would be nice too!

But I think they gave credit to MOOG. And the cloning was en-mass. Tributes are a form of paying respect to. I don’t know if the ones you speak of were tributes tho.

I really want this thread title to change to The Behringera.

4 Likes

You’re not alone in this, it hurts my eyes that it’s not :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Sorry… and I love Elektron, but who’s screaming for clones of Machinedrums and Octatracks? Pretty much nobody (in the wide commercial sense) that I’ve seen? And I absolutely LOVE my MachineDrum SPS-1 UW+ (bought from a fellow Naut thank you). These are awesome machines, but they are boutique and niche market regardless of how much we love and adore them or frankly how good they actually are. That’s in stark contrast to x0x machines and other ‘classics’.

You’re just not going to see ‘clones’ of Elektron or similar manufactures. Similar ideas? Sure… that’s possible, but straight up cheaper knock offs… I just don’t see that happening. There’s no demand.

1 Like

There would have been near universal praise and rapture had Roland released analog clones of the x0x instruments and they could have charged premium prices (think easily $1K or more). The market would have eaten them up and I’d have been standing in line myself. It was Roland’s decision not to ‘chase ghosts’ and instead drip release digital proximities year after year of what people really wanted. Are some of those products pretty damn cool? Yep! Absolutely, but they weren’t what many of us really wanted. We wanted the machines we grew up lusting over which had become unaffordable, unreliable and unpredictable on the 2nd hand market. It’s really that simple.

What Behringer is doing isn’t rocket science… it’s 60’s, 70’s and 80’s tech and economically commercialized by modern SMD process thru reverse engineering patents that have expired. Any one of those original companies could have done it themselves, arguably with less R&D and charged an absolute premium for it (though substantially less than the used market). Moog is a shining example having even ‘sold out’ of Minimoog reissues.

I don’t feel bad for anyone Behringer is ‘cloning’ – they had every opportunity to do it themselves. It was a decision by them and them alone to ignore what the market had been screaming (begging) for 20+ years. They didn’t want to relive and rehash the past… fine. Maybe they didn’t want to gamble on a new product… but they could have licensed patents, sold components or partnered! It was their business decision in the end. The one caveat is maybe Moog and to some degree Korg, but even then patents expire for a reason. Moog chose to go after the more boutique, high-end market and that’s totally fine – I completely respect that. But don’t cry when someone comes in to satisfy the demand of the low and mid-level market when you were generally avoiding it. That’s just how it works.

11 Likes

It seems you completely missed the point of what i wrote. I thought the irony was obvious.

Well, those types of machines are not exactly cheap. The software on it is much more complex than insida a wasp clone.