The Behringer era

I wouldn’t think so? I guess the more relevant distinction is between old, well-understood tech and more complex digital or digitally-controlled stuff. I don’t want to be an apologist for Behringer, I think some of their decisions have been in poor taste, but it would be odd if music tech avoided the massive price deflation that’s occurred in every other branch of consumer electronics.

I do think that the analog renaissance has a strong element of fashion to it. Which is not a diss, I understand the appeal and would have a room full of it if I could afford to. The fashion will turn though, the marketplace will wash out a lot of smaller players, and only those who offer the best or the best value will survive. What I’m saying is, that process could actually hit Behringer pretty hard too if they over invest in cloning old tech.

all I want for Christmas is love and “round robin” polyphonic behavior with Neutron. especially when polychained.

Behringer have completed their polyphonic aftertouch keyboard. Will be some polys coming soon then. Nice

Accusations of Behringer copying open source circuit designs for the TD-3 and Wasp without giving proper credit required by CC licenses, and with responses by Uli B.: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157858033058545&id=772453544

5 Likes

Ah that’s pretty shitty. So what does this mean for this guy? Can he sue them or will they just make Behringer slap a credit in the fine print of the manual?

Someone over at Lines posted this:

Original Maths on right monitor, bottom; their copy on left monitor.

Pathetic.

2 Likes

I think he just technically asked to be credited but it is open source (not creative commons) so it is more an honor system type deal. To me its just a pretty bad look for behringer who have tried to make it look like they are studying the old hardware and fully making clones of them rather than going in and copying other peoples work. Although from the sounds of it they copied work from more than just one person so there might be someone who could sue if they didn’t fully open source.

Could he not choose to pull it and they’d have to cease production or is it a case of once it’s out the bag it’s out? Def not a good look but I don’t think B really care about that. Shame for the dude though

I’m pretty sure once you make something open source or creative commons it is out there forever, creative commons has some stipulations like non commercial use and such but once it is out there you can’t really take it back as a protection for people who decided to use it.

Copying other people’s work is weak. It doesnt matter how you dress it up, or what your explanation is.

1 Like

So Uli cloning Maths?

No official word yet but the Pic sums up their m.o.

2 Likes

there were behringer maths rumours in early 2019 too if I recall correctly so it sounds about right.

I knew they are pathetic but this a new level of low if they do.

Just waiting for the “but but but… they do it for uz poor musicians…”

I’m not a millionaire either but I have some integrity left. no Behringer in my house. Never.

5 Likes

Is this real?! Bottom right has the music tribe logo cut off so it even looks like their own promo material…

It is taken from one of their promo videos where they show their office. There was an article about it on synthanatomy if I remember well !

1 Like

Maths itself is a clone of Serge VCS… I’d welcome cheap west coast inspired modules any time.

5 Likes

Sure.

At the very least, a mention and nod to the people that put in the work would be right. Do the right thing Behringer.

2 Likes

There’s a difference between 1/1 reverse engoneering and taking a concept further and addong to it.

Most of the criticism towards Behringer is dismissable when you put aside this distinction but it’s an important one IMHO.

1 Like