The Behringer era

I kind of agree, but I also think that there is choice within to decide how greedy vs how ethical you are, how much you consume vs how much you give back and so on.

Do Moog build all their own encoders, transistors, capacitors and diodes?

No wonder they are so expensive …

the possibility’s are definitely more advanced if you stop buying new gear and realize how far you can push a single Neutron, it beats em all

I’d like to see how Behringer stuff is made for comparison, without predjudice but to see what the actual differences are.

1 Like

Its pretty incredible how people think Behringer synths are better value than offerings by korg, arturia, novation, et al.

Why get a 299 single osc monosynth like an MS-1, when you can get a monologue for less, or a bass station 2 for only slightly more? Behringer has somehow convinced a ton of people that the ridiculous inflated prices of the classic synths theyre copying actually represent the true value of their imitations.

Personally I’d rather have a future classic than a copy of a classic.

2 Likes

It’s because Behringer are relying on nostalgia and cult status of the originals, which upon face value is quite shrewd, but it only tells half the story - Behringer synths will never be equal to the originals in desirability or sound or originality or cultural significance.

Edit: What is quite funny though is that the Neutron might end up getting cult status, and it isn’t a direct copy of anything else.

1 Like

Maybe featureswise but the Neutron sounds like broth compared to a M32 or Minitaur stew. Plus the whole exploitive labor thing.

1 Like

For me, this is boldest move - mapping your outcome to the extreme nostalgia, sonics, UX and physical build quality of the originals. You’re taking on quite a lot of pressure doing that, especially coming from this brand history.

Of course, upside if proving themselves is massive - they will of course easily merge their industrialized outcome to “new” concepts that will sell loads due to proven track record (of above) and low price point (due to, I must admit, clever industrialization strategy).

One may not like it, but they’ve played the game in a very clever way, IMO.

ANYWAYS, this kind of thread is what has been putting me off Gearslutz (et al) and I really would prefer this forum not to be moving in that direction. There are just so many layers on this one, with majority of people acting on hearsay or just following the stream, that it’s not very rewarding overall to engage in it (again, my opinion).

4 Likes

Are there not a couple of U-Tube videos which show that the Boog sounds exactly like the Moog?

Although I personally have no great desire to own either, I would probably choose the Boog mainly because it is smaller plus I have never seen the point of having loads of wood on a synth as they are not acoustic instruments.

Regarding ethics and cloning if you have a great idea you will go to protect it with a patent. Patents also ensures the idea is really new and unique otherwise a patent will be not given. Patent protection is given maximum for 20years after that the idea or concept is free for everyone. Why is that? Because to avoid Monopols keep competition ongoing and support new developments.
Roland self didn´t develop the concept of analog syntheses they carry over it also from others.
So from ethic point of view everything is fine what behringer does and did.

2 Likes

Everyone seems happy with generic medicines and patent expiry, why not synths?

We really need Ricky Gervais to shine some light on this

3 Likes

In medicine they call Glucophage for metformin.
In synths the Sequential Pro One is called Behringer Pro-1
I think there is a reason why people are “happy” in medicine.

Good point!

Same, I don’t like any wood on synths*

Quite possibly, I didn’t really check, as I said before some of the Behringer stuff definitely gets closer to the originals than others, and some get closer than other clones do, it’d be petty and inaccurate to say otherwise.

Edit: *Except Synthi100 and VCS3

2 Likes

Sweet jeebus i just realized that Behringer is replacing Hitler in Godwin’s law

2 Likes

I would be interested in how the people bashing behringer because they use expired patents would like it all to be handled. Should the companies who developed the product forever be the only ones to be allowed to produce it? I am really interested how they see this.

1 Like

I can’t speak for others but I have no problem with the use of expired patents, that isn’t why a lot of people don’t like Behringer though.

1 Like

Quick, serious question.

Who in this thread has had their opinion about Behringer changed since the thread began?

For the record, I’m not discounting the importance of public discussion. I’m trying to measure its effectiveness on a subject where people do seem rather entrenched.

The relentless argument without moving the needle one way or another is why I left certain social media platforms, and I’m just trying to understand it more here.

10 Likes

But a lot of people are bashing them because this exact reason. I am not talking about the copying of current products. That I also don’t like. I just don’t get a lot of the bashing and am interested in learning why this is so.

Please, keep it on topic ! :rofl:

2 Likes