The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

They are taking feedback on whether to do a rare one, the ARP Avatar. Interesting choice.

The final synth from ARP ( other than if you consider the Chroma as being from ARP ), that while Odyssey like, was intended as a guitar synth, included a pitch to voltage converter and a hexaphonic pickup connector. This presents a challenge to engineer properly to get it dependable, but a lot easier than when this synth was originally made in 1977.

Behringer could consider making a hexaphonic guitar to sell with this. Obviously you can add / modify this sort of pickup onto many electric guitars, if you are careful to get good separation.

The Avatar could also be used without a guitar, like with a keyboard.

The synth part of this is very much like the Odyssey, so Behringer have a leg up on that already. I suppose this could mostly be done with a good guitar pitch to MIDI converter and a regular Odyssey as well.

Iā€™m thinking the Avatar might not be the synth to recreate, but as a place to start from with some new ideas added, that might be interesting.

Hmm ? Polyphony ? MPE or poly-aftertouch MIDI ? A different synth engine ? Lots of possibilities for variation here.

ideally this builds on the sequencer of the rd9 , adds full midi spec (as this has been added to their recent synths) , and then the extras of sampling / editing / trimming etc for a drum sampler.
a few fx, analog filter ? , midi , cv/clock out ā€¦

iā€™m quite happy with sample packs of old 12bt/whatever drum machinesā€¦ not sure this one is for me but i think easy access to the mixer sliders makes it good for performanceā€¦ if theyre motorized then its even better (but unlikely)

Behringer is looking for feedback on these other pedal designs too.

These are only proposals to get feedback.

2 Likes

agreed, interesting choiceā€¦ didnā€™t most people purchase the Avatar strictly to use it as an Odyssey module, without paying Odyssey prices? with already making a cheap Odysseyā€¦ why bother? but I guess since you have the Arp circuits, might as well make the most of themā€¦?

where did I say that? :face_with_monocle:

Often prototypes, particularly early ones, are a little rough. That usually doesnā€™t matter,

2 Likes

As a Digitakt user that LM Drum should be a breeze to adjust to.

4 Likes

Very true, and not many for that either. Hexaphonic guitar pickups were not common then, and theyā€™re still not super common. You need single tones to get good pitch to voltage.

The Avatar is rather rare.

calling the Boogerfooger ā€œuglyā€ is a hilarious unintentional diss of the Moogerfooger, which looks identical. CV jacks need to go on the front though - admittedly that would be ugly but useful

3 Likes

The originals look great, yeah.

There are a dozen little details Behringer have missed which add up to a rather bastardly look. If you canā€™t see it, good for you I guess. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Besides the wood and the logo? Iā€™ve got an MF102, not seeing any meaningful difference. I see your backhanded slight there though :wink:

2 Likes

First of all the proportions and the screws on the sides. Plus the knobs, the placement of pots and jacks, the rocker switch, the push buttons, the jacks, the silk screening, the power socket.

FWIW, I donā€™t own much Behringer gear, but this is built like a tank (unlike the older stuff), so I imagine the Moog ones would be solid as well and Iā€™d certainly try the filter one. Iā€™m not looking for a museum quality replica, just a cool circuit to try.

The other thing is that I have a number of cool old cheap Japanese clones of circuits from the 1970s. With clones, part of the charm is the differences from the original circuit.

I recently watched this great video on the Juno chorus clone and the reviewer basically concludes it didnā€™t nail the original. The new one distorts and is more lofi. That sounds to me like characteristics that often end up making for cool evolutions of classic circuits and subtle differences are why I would be interesting in buying something like an old 1970s Dynacomp knockoff.

If you want an exact version of the original you can still buy the original, but there are some things youā€™d be happier with a less-than-perfect knockoff for $100 than with a $1000 original. For instance, I have zero interest in an old Juno chorus at any price and would never seek one out (as itā€™s not a core sound for me). But if I found a used one of these for $30-40, Iā€™d probably give it a go and think it might be fun for the occasional tune.

(FYI: I realize that the goal for many is to keep all topics laser focused, but these conversations develop organically and is in response to all of the criticism, so it is what it is).

5 Likes

Timbre Behr

8 Likes

This is April fool joke. Why would they bother replicating the crap timbre wolf.:joy:

4 Likes

:joy: I was a little disappointed by the lack of April Fools chat but thatā€™s a belter!

I like it much more than the NI Komplete Kontor to be honest :smiley:

And the name is funny :smiley:

what are we thinking for price on the VCS3? behringer said it would be higher than usual. i saw somewhere it would likely be slightly above 2600 costs maybe? it would feel kind of strange paying $800+ for a behringer unit but likely worth it, iā€™d imagine. still good compared to the syntrx

2 Likes

Behringer has you covered with their newly announced Roll and Dockā€¦

Hottest new product off the line.

5 Likes

Thing looks crazy as hell. I could see myself paying a bit more than the 2600 but over do it and yeah maybe people will start wondering if they should just spend that money on a poly instead. The vcs3 is what Iā€™m most excited for though, really hoping they get it out soon.

That is just mindset. Things have moved on as build quality has become very good. I feel stranger paying thousands for old gear. But thats just a mindset as well. Price wise id be happy paying up to Ā£1200 after seeing some reviews of course. But stock availability maybe limited due to chip shortage.

3 Likes