The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

I see the Swing was released June 2021. Thats quite a gap in production. So it either bodes well for a major production output or it means they really are struggling.

The labelling is for the additional sequencer capabilities but it is a generic midi controller filling the gap that the bcr2000 left. Supposedly they are going to have a line of overlays too (hopefully custom) so you can match your specific equipment.
This is at the very top of my list once it actually hits the streets.

What happened to the edge? How many were released?
Is the DFAM worth an extra 5,6 hundy?

As Boris Johnson says. Its in the pipeline.:rofl:

1 Like

Months go by. Nothing since that gamut of new stuff showcased. Hmmm. I know theres a chip shortage but even small companies are releasing new gear despite paying 10 times the cost for one chip. Disappointed to say the least.

Pretty sure Edge will soon be released. They already sent out units to testers and video-reviews are produced but not yet releasedā€¦ two of them were online for a few hours

1 Like

agreed! Iā€™ll be very skeptical of future announcements by Behringer, kind of tarnishing the whole vibe for me.

2 Likes

Very excited for the edge and the zaquencer remake.

Making promises is the easy part, where things get complicated is the second part: keeping the promise made. It seems like nothing he has announced in the last 2 years has really come out un the market.
2022: Uliā€™s credibility has dropped to zero

Theyā€™re a big corporation that produces high volumes for cheap in order to turn a profit. If they canā€™t get massive amounts of components in bulk at once, they canā€™t turn enough of a profit for their liking. Right now, apparently, they canā€™t get enough ARM chips to make everything they announced. Yes they overpromised, but theyre a corporation, not our friend. Thatā€™s how big businesses act ā€“ in the interest of their owners and shareholders. And a lot of small ones too, but some small companies have been able to get enough chips for their relatively small batches. Others have gone out of business. These are not usual times. IMO Uli never had any credibility but B made some amazing recreations, which they will continue when they can make money off it again. Lot of other synths out there in the mean time!

2 Likes

The whole list of the promised (and never built) gear was announced after the advent of Covid and the consequent chip shortage: Uli was perfectly aware that he had never been able to deliver on the market what he promised.

At the moment, Music Tribe is now just pretending to be an active company, in reality the factory is down and, soon they will go out of business too.

Canā€™t be arsed.

4 Likes

The only way to see it is Uli Behringer is not your dad or the government or your friend. Heā€™s just a businessman, and we know all what motivates business. Expecting him to ā€œlive up to his wordā€ about cheap synths when he canā€™t produce them for profit is for idealists. Of course he kept marketing forthcoming models despite that. Itā€™s Behringer.

1 Like

You say: we know all what motivates business

Sorry, no: I donā€™t understand
I repeat: most of the gear now on standby was actually announced by Uli after the shortage crisis start. What is the motivation to announce product that you are aware youā€™ll never deliver?
That is a completely illogic marketing strategy for me, or maybe a so clever strategy that we will be able to decode it in the next 10 years

I donā€™t have any special insight into Uliā€™s mind, but announcing vaporware products can be perfectly rational.

I doubt they actually invented the process because it is likely as old as commerce, but Zynga popularized a product development process that started with a one sentence description of a game they were thinking of making. They would use the sentence in digital ads, and track the number of clicks. If there were few clicks, they would move on to the next idea. If the concept received enough clicks, they would spin up a development team and make the game.

This made very good sense for Zynga because any game would be marketed digitally, so knowing in advance that the concept generated interest was a useful test for the game. Behringer is probably doing the same thing - announcing a lot of things that they might make and then sitting back to watch what people talk about.

4 Likes

Perfectly valid ā€œleanā€ approach to new products ā€¦ it has been applied to business startups.

Itā€™s ultimately an answer to the question 'How can we learn more quickly what works, and discard what doesnā€™t?

1 Like

Gets a little expensive when you build completed, debugged prototypes, of your straw man products like Behringer has, but itā€™s fun for the engineers anyways.

So the ones iā€™m talking about, are the:

• VCS 3
  • Proton
  • Enigma

And then itā€™s a tie between the Syncussion, the 2-XM, the DS-80, and the Kobol Expander.

2 Likes

It seems unlikely that Uli is paying his hardware engineers what they could make grinding out gizmos for Meta or Google. It is possible that these cool-but-unmarketable synths are fun projects that keep them from jumping ship.

1 Like

I never really cared as an engineer if the product shipped or not, just give me a cool project and keep sliding pizzas under the door and iā€™m happy.

Now as a manager it was a different deal.

5 Likes

Ok, now I understand the Zynga strategy
In Behringerā€™s case, it is not applicable: it was clear from the beginning that if the market had responded positively (so it happened) Uli would never have been able to build and sell those products - due to shortage-.

It was clear from the beginning that Uli would end up looking like a clown (so it happened)