The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

I haven’t! Thanks for this!

@rockpapergoat Exercise is also a great idea. I’m going to try to step it up a bit as well. I had great momentum going on that front as well through December and then it dropped off from the start of the year. I’m most productive and feel best when I’m eating right and exercising regularly. Feeling more motivated already just talking about it. Thanks.

3 Likes

indeed, this is important. i don’t feel like a human without exercise. the pandemic kind of blew up some better habits around exercise for me. my wife suggested i just sign up for this race in a few weeks, but i need a goal or to feel like i’ll be competitive (at least with myself), not just paying to run with other people. we shall see…

get that body moving, yo. you can do it!

2 Likes

Like Tim Minchin once said: run my beautiful intellectuals, run.

Drambo’s Flex Sampler has a scratch playback mode that works pretty well.

1 Like

Oh! I have Drambo, but never actually did a deep dive. Definitely checking this out, thanks for the tip!

To bring it back to topic of the thread. Mario C was so ahead of his time with some of these Check Your Head productions. That Red Bull interview I posted earlier is gold for the history of this stuff. It never really hit me when I was younger that he was sampling live stuff and mixing it with other samples. So ahead of his time and it still sounds fresh.

4 Likes

Getting back into writing some bars…thought this might be an appropriate place to share (feel free to skip to 07:40)

4 Likes

sh*t, really didn’t mean to double post over at (hiphop made with any elektron gear) but this seems like the main hiphop hub to me I guess.

I’ve been super bad at uploading music in recent years, so I finally got around to it.
(using my main turntablist scene name: Spores)

heres two tracks, (baby ep) from my [backlog] that shared a same theme.

I was really into retro gaming growing up and most times I subliminally design my sounds 8bit-ish, dark…trying to rekindle that golden age. building lil worlds.
you might get that vibe from these tracks, idk.

genre

spores-core

7 Likes

Really cool stuff! Made me think of Lufia and in my book, that’s a really good thing :slight_smile:

Also, the mix sounds very pleasing. Love it!

1 Like

I don’t think I’m familiar with that game, sounds like an rpg tho.

my mixes are very bad, I’ll leave it at that. it’s probably because they were both mastered.
-one mastered and one stem’d + mastered.

thanks for the feedback!

Wicked tracks :fire:

@rockpapergoat - you deserve a break man, you’ve been firing them out. Take it easy!

I just discovered one of my favourite producers in recent times Illingsworth has done an EP with Homeboy Sandman. This is nice and chill. Good for a Sunday :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah, it was an RPG for the SNES, released in the early 90s somewhere.

I genuinely liked the mix though, but i also know that we always judge ourselves much harsher then we judge others.

I just made a first little beat on the SP404. No samples used, well, kind of. I used GarageBand for all of the sounds.

404 +iPad = ultimate couch setup

5 Likes

I made a little beat tape out of some of the beats that I made on the Circuit Rhythm for Jamuary. I took them apart and put them back together while I was figuring out how to fully control the Rhythm from the Digitakt. It’s all sample based. It’s all fun. The whole thing is on youtube.

And there is a bandcamp if you’re so inclined.

13 Likes

I literally listened to it as soon as I got the Bandcamp notification. My favorites would have to be “Laughs and Whispers” and “What Happened to Peace?”

Super dope to hear some of your sample-based beats so soon after your awesome synth-based beats. Keep the heat comin’ my dude. :fire: :facepunch:

3 Likes

Damnn these are good! More oldschool sounding than usual. Love your drums as always.

Shark week and dirt & rain are my favorites.

2 Likes

Eurgh, the drums on '02 are so good man.

The overall sound is amazing too. Listening on laptop speakers and everything is super defined and the bass sounds perfect. How do you get it sounding so sweet? Any outboard processing?

2 Likes

Hey, thank y’all for checking it out

Thanks, man. Sample based stuff is always going to be the foundation for me. Also, I think “Laughs and Whispers” is maybe my favorite flip on there. The og sample is “Mystery Girl” by Atlantic Starr. About half way in.

All my stuff is just straight from the Digitakt into Audacity. And all I do there is a little limiting. With this one in particular, I think part of the sound comes from the Rhythm itself. It’s really getting (understandably) overlooked since the new 404 came out right after. But the filters on this sound great. It’s got per track high pass and resonant low pass filters, as well as a resonant master filter that’s bipolar. And I’m using all of them. Between that, the little side chain effect it has and the compressor on the Digitakt I think there’s a whole lot of ways to shape the sound. I really like this set up.

2 Likes

Audacity is where it’s at! The only DAW I ever use.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I few days ago I released the first single of an EP that I’ll be producing with some MC’s from my city. I’ll leave the Spotify link but it is in every streaming platform.

I’ve been reading this post since the beginning and listening your music, but I’m not a good writer hahah I learnt a lot from all the music and material you have shared.

Thank you and I’ll be waiting for all your new music!

5 Likes