The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Very nice track mate! Good vibes.

Yo, this is sick! Can’t wait to hear the rest of the EP.

couch beats after dinner

10 Likes

Thanks for the reply man. Now you’ve got me tempted to look into new gear I can’t really afford when I should be learning more about what I do have :joy: Great sound mate :+1:

1 Like

Thanks to both! @Jedilicious @PineappleDave, I’m really excited about this project. I’d love to hear music from you too!

2 Likes

Very cool. I was super confused at first. I don’t have Spotify. I don’t know how to use it. So it gave me some pop song before it let me hear yours.

But yeah, it sounds great

1 Like

I mean yeah, do I need to remind you that you own an SP 404 mk2?

3 Likes

One of the shitty things about streaming platforms. I think I’ll upload it to souncloud just for the ease of listening.

Thank you!

1 Like

@mncrmo Sit tight my dude, I’ve got a beat tape coming out next Friday! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

here’s something i put together over the past few days. it’s kind of uneven but okay. drums, brass, piano, and a bunch of other stuff are all slices from keith mansfield’s “soul thing.” there’s a layered kick in there, a juno bass that’s actually a tweaked piano preset, and effects/dirt on top.

6 Likes

not sure about this billy ocean chop…

3 Likes

Out of the two beats the 2nd is the banger imho, I think you’re right about the chops personally, they don’t really fit the overall dark tone of the beat, have you tried fitting an acapella to your beats, all the while I was listening to the second one I was imagining a Rakim style vocal over it or maybe Method man, someone with a smooth flow and delivery… great job man…

1 Like

Really like the darkness of this one. I am not that bothered by the chops in general, the only thing that felt a bit off for me were the chops between 1:38 and 1:41 (“Suddenly I’ve had”) but on the other hand, it also adds some variation.

1 Like

Just to qualify my earlier comments, I was talking about the Billy Ocean chops too… the rest of the beat is spot on…:+1:

1 Like

my wife said the “suddenly” chops were jarring. i got lazy with the bass line and wanted to come up with something lighter, less ominous for the chorus/suddenly part but didn’t get to it. the main theme chops do work well, i think. the drums are addictive drums, swung a little, filtered and effected, and moved off the grid a bit here and there. they’re maybe too steady. there’s one variation under the chorus sections. dunno… we were listening to some billy ocean at dinner time, and all these memories came flooding back. will categorize this one as a work in progress. thanks for listening and adding some feedback, all.

1 Like

Both sound good to me dude. I thought the billy ocean vocal chops were just a bit too loud but otherwise provide a cool counterpoint to the rest of the tune.

I’m hoping to have something new to share soon!

1 Like

No probs man, I don’t think they’re too steady myself, I rarely use more than 5/7 percent swing in anything I do cos I think pushing it too much makes beats sound a sloppy mess… it’s all personal preference though…

ha… i’ve been trying to bump up any vocal chops lately because it feels like i’m prone to burying them or otherwise creating mud down low.

use some billy ocean in your next thing. doctors recommend it.

2 Likes

It’s super difficult trying to get the balance I find. So maybe don’t take my word for it with turning it down a little, haha.

Working on a track and using an acapella for I think the 3rd time ever (one of which was the tribe battle here) and struggling to get the balance right. Doing my nut in!

1 Like

The struggle is real :sweat_smile: I love the end results when you find something that just works vocally, but it sure is hard work making it all fit together… I’m sure it’ll be worth the effort though…

2 Likes