The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Thanks dude! The master fader just asks me to add weird fx to everything haha.

I havent used any of his samples. Big fan of his work, but don’t really like his drums generally though…

1 Like

Sounds superb to me. Great beats. I don’t know all your AR stuff but I guess the sound itself would be nuances, that don’t really matter to the listener, as long as he/she enjoys the beats.
As long as you yourself don’t think the OT sounds shitty compared to the AR and you enjoy the process of making beats with the OT, I wouldn’t care about the comparison. Totally valid to own both and use whatever you are drawn to when sitting down to make music :slightly_smiling_face:

Love your style, super chill

2 Likes

I appreciate it, and you’re right… so far I’m loving the OT workflow. I’ll stick to it for a while and try to get better at controlling its sound.

2 Likes

So I know most of the people who frequent this thread like a lot of old-school hip-hop and rappers. But, I’m curious about any kind of newer-school stuff you listen to. Who do you dig? Both beats-wise and rhymes-wise.

2 Likes

I grew up on 90’s east coast stuff, but lately I’ve really been into Tyler the creator. Also the whole tde catalogue of course, but maybe thats already considered oldschool by now :joy:

2 Likes

Unfortunately not.
I listen to quite a lot of stuff that recently came out, but that also always has the 90s boom bap vibe.
I think I generally like and identify hip hop as a whole with that 90s east coast sound. I haven’t discovered anything modern with a different type of sound that I really enjoyed or didn’t sound cheesy to me.
Although I love synths and a lot of experimental electronic music, hip hop and synths or analog drummachines don‘t go well together for me.
I‘m probably very ignorant in that regard🙂

2 Likes

billy woods everything. He’s basically had my favourite albums of the last 3 years (although K’Town Oddity was up there for 2020). Dak always kills it. His collabs with Fumitake Tamura are heavy. Jeremiah Jae. Secret Sidewalk. Talented friends: Buddy Peace, Drummachinemike, Senz Beats, Symatic

2 Likes

Daaaamn! This sounds dope! Love all the tracks.

1 Like

something quick from last night on the couch. this uses two samples, one for drums, one for melodic elements, both sliced and sequenced. bass is tal-j-8, mono, EQed, with effects. there are a couple of short hihat loops, effects, some master EQ and processing. it was nice to make something after not having done much in awhile.

5 Likes

damn, that’s good. something about your AR recordings sounds more punchy, but these are so smooth. i’m interested to hear how you adapt to using both.

i’ve been listening to a lot of grap luva/pete rock, kev brown, j rawls, and guilty simpson lately. that old school east coast style will always sound like home to me. my first cassette tape was this k-tel compilation of stuff from melle mel, kurtis blow, whodini, etc.

2 Likes

Personally I love Logic, he’s got the old-school new school vibes down and there’s a decent amount of variety between boom-bap and trap in his discography. Definitely some dud songs in there but there’s some bangers too.

I also like NF. He’s way more moody/dramatic than most, but the beats and production are really good, plus I like how honest his lyrics are.

@Unifono If you love synths and hip-hop, you could try listening to some ModBap (also called synth bap). The same drum beats you know and love but with synthesizers.

3 Likes

Also thanks @PeteSasqwax and @rockpapergoat for the recommendations. I’ll have to check 'em out.

1 Like

@doeraklove and @rockpapergoat thanks for listening!

I feel like because of the sample chopping I can get good tunes out of the OT very intuitively… So far the only thing that’s still kind of a mystery is the pickup machines, but coming from DT/AR the OT is far less complicated than I expected because of its reputation online.

So far my conclusion is: on the AR it takes effort to find good sample chops and make things ‘clean’, but everything sounds amazing immediately. On the OT getting a groove going is fairly quick, but it takes some effort to make things sound dirty/punchy. My main goal for now is building some muscle memory on the OT on its own and find out whether I can get it to sound the way I want. Any OT users here to give me some advice on that? I’m looking for some punch on drums mainly…

@rockpapergoat great track again. Your beats always sound very ‘alive’. I love the drums coming in at 50s or so… are those just hihats added to the previous pattern of completely different drums?

1 Like

was just listening to this while going to pickup something in the car (i rarely drive anywhere):

@Sleepyhead that’s a different hihat loop, same drums underneath. the drums are individual hits from a track, chopped and sequenced with different velocities and nudged off grid here and there for that live feel. i forget, but it’s like a 4 bar main drum loop of those chops. the quicker hats last 4 bars each section. the more subtle hats are longer, like 12 or 16 bars. i bumped levels way down on the hats so they weren’t too up front — something like -9 db compared to the drum track, which is kind of low already.

2 Likes

Filter drive and parallel compression

1 Like

This is dope! Man, since you started doing beats on the AR you made me want to buy one, so please don’t make dope beats on the OT too, you will ruin me :laughing:

@PineappleDave if you like hispanic hiphop, I can suggest you some some bands / rappers from latin america, there is a huge underground scene there, with dope mc’s, dope beats and lyrics!

Lil supa from Venezuela :

Aldo el Aldeano from Cuba :

Apache from Venezuela :

Reke Venezuela also :

Chystemc from Chile :

3 Likes

Dude SICK! I hadn’t heard of any of these guys. I Really dig that Reke track and the Chystemc track. I’ll have to check all of these guys out.

1 Like

kinda, sorta on topic:

there’s a local listing for a rane 62 mixer (serato capable) + 2x sl1200 mk2 turntables + flight cases. i do not need this, have committed to buying no new gear this year, but am wondering if i should entertain making them an offer. i used and loved the 1200s back in my radio days. it looks like this gear may be coming from a college radio station. the gear doesn’t look to be completely abused or anything.

what would you do?

I mean, I only have a crappy random Wockoder turntable, so if I had the cash I’d go for it. I guess it depends on if you already have some turntables and a mixer somewhat similar to those.

i do not. there’s an old crappy 2 or 4 channel mixer in the basement, but turntables have been on my list to get for a long time. i also have plans to make a combo record storage/turntable shelf/book shelf storage cabinet but haven’t done any woodworking in awhile. need to finish the multiple unfinished projects in my shop.