The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Then it sounds like this might be a good opportunity for you. :slight_smile: You would have to break NGNY but technically speaking…you’d only be buying old gear. :wink:

If the price is right, you can afford them and you think you might use them I’d say go for it! The 62 obvs has serato built in so you can play with cutting your samples on your tracks which might be fun to play with? And if you don’t use it I’m sure you could sell them all as a package or individually.

PS enjoying everyone’s new bits and feeling crap about not doing anything new myself since the last bb :pensive:

3 Likes

Yo don’t feel bad about not getting anything made. We all have our seasons of productivity and lack therof. Besides, the next beat battle is starting tomorrow!:sunglasses:

2 Likes

that’s what an enabler would say, man!

1 Like

Chyste MC is one of the legends in Chilean rap. The whole movement took lots of force back in 2010 and he is one of the first well known rappers here.

From recent years, I love this whole album, called “Mono blanco” (White Monkey), made by DJ Perez.

Also, Mantoi is one of my all time favorites.

Hope you (and everyone) enjoy!

3 Likes

YO! eager to hear what yall think. i played the slices live with my left hand… too much fun!

6 Likes

What are you guys thinking about the syntakt?

i think it looks cool, sounds interesting, just doesn’t fit anywhere in my setup. if at some point, i have a stash of disposable income to “collect them all,” maybe it would make sense to buy one. it just seems really similar to stuff already in my setup, so at least my first impression is that it won’t yield any results i can’t already get. that may be wrong, but oh well…

the machines borrow heavily from the cycles, which i already have. syntakt has limited polyphony. i don’t need another groovebox, basically. i can see making interesting stuff with it, for sure. i just don’t feel any strong draw to buy one given the type of music i’ve been making lately and my workflow.

edit: the three digi boxes together in a setup like in the ellen piel video do look pretty dope, though.

2 Likes

here’s a quick thing pieced together over the last few days. we have guests in town, are prepping for my son’s birthday next week, and have my wife’s parents in town for a bit. too many social obligations, if you ask me (a hermit).

most chops are from here: https://youtu.be/bqBLEar9ipo

drums are layered slices from the kellee patterson track with a one-shot kick and hi-hat loop, all processed in a group (because i am too dumb to use busses). flute chops are from the same track with high pass and dirt. vocals are chopped and effected. there’s no bass track, but there is a little bass from the slices. no fuss, no muss.

4 Likes

You’ve made me curious! What’s your setup now for hiphp? Sounds good.

for the past while, it’s just been ableton on my 2017 MacBook Air. ableton has proven to be the quickest way to churn out sample based stuff so far. i need to go back to the digitakt at some point. it’s also very quick to get really good results, but the limitations require a different approach, and i’m lazy. all the hardware gear is really nice. i can set it up to play together nicely, but i don’t have a dedicated audio workstation for recording. that part’s not worked out yet. some folks have a studio or a music battle station. i just have this little wheezing laptop that can barely run some plugins without melting itself. the elektron stuff with overbridge is really nice, though. dedicating time to sit in a specific space to bust out beats has proven difficult for me. it’s way easier to hang on the porch with my laptop or just the DT to noodle on ideas. i’ve made beats in the back of a car and on planes with my laptop. the flexibility and portability of having the whole studio in a thing the size of a book is pretty amazing.

5 Likes

indeed! I‘m only using my ipad for beats for quite a while. It’s just so convenient. Sample youtube etc internally, slice it up in beatmaker or koala. Everything I need for sample based beats

3 Likes

For strictly hip hop production, the ST would be more appropriate than the DN, which I bought last month but still haven’t been able to integrate into my workflow with my samples based tracks ( it’s very hard to fine tune it)

5 Likes

@Skurdd dope! I like the atmospheric sounds…Haha my gf was listening in the background not knowing what it was and said something like: snoop dogg has been making weird songs lately :joy::joy::joy:

@rockpapergoat another great track. Kinda reminds me of the homeboy sandman track you posted. It’s cool that the flute line is only on the right channel.

About the syntakt: it doesn’t really interest me because it can’t sample, but it does seem like a great product all around which can be useful for a lot of people. The integration of analog/digital is amazing on the Rytm, I think it will be on the syntakt as well.

3 Likes

I use the Digitone as the center of my synth set up, which is just that, a Modal Skulpt, and an IK Uno Synth. I’ve also usually got either my Sampletrak or my Circuit Rhythm in the mix. Usually I run the mini synths through it before the Digitone so I can do funny business with the fx and the filter and then in turn apply the Digitone’s fx to that sound.

What I usually do is get a sequence running and try to shape my sounds while it runs. I try to remember to include variations in velocity so I can add velocity modulation. It definitely takes a beat to get used to especially coming from using analog and virtual analog synths. But you can come up with a lot of very cool stuff.

In general, I like to do the synth stuff separately from actually putting a beat together. I think of it as just making samples. But lately I’ve been playing bass lines on it from the Digitakt and that’s sounded nicer than sampling it.

As far as the Syntakt goes, I’m into it. It’s all the stuff I liked from the Cycles with much more control over the sound. Plus there’s a new VA machine. There’s 3 more flexible analog voices plus the analog cymbals. There’s the fx track, which looks really cool. I’ve already got a RK-002 cable so I’ve got a work around for the lack of polyphony. It’s kind of like a mash up of a bunch of stuff from other Elektron stuff that I want. It’s a little bit of Rytm, it’s the Cycles, it’s the Heat. It’s really cool.

If I had the money, I think it would be the thing that I would get.

6 Likes

I know a lot of people around this forum think very highly of Samples from Mars and I just wanted to share this other creator I found because to me his samples seem of the same caliber:

5 Likes

Finally managed to get a collection of beats mixed and finished. Just put them together as a 1hour instrumental album.
I collected these beats over the last few years, while focussing mainly on electronica, idm releases, but never stopped to do these type of boom bap.
I love flipping samples and creating beats like these just makes me feel relaxed after work…
About half of it are chops from sampled records, the other half was actually done with one shots from the big Rawcutz sample pack. I know this is not the most original way of putting together beats, but I love the sound of these one shots, and for me personally, it’s enough of a challenge to get a nice, coherent loop out of these singe shots…

Anyway. Hope you enjoy! Any feedback is super welcome, also tips for improvement or making them more interesting. I still have lots of them to finish :slight_smile:

Btw I will upload to bandcamp too, if anonye prefers that platform. Thanks for listening!

4 Likes

My internet is so shitty here that I can’t listen to it, but i will definitely check it out later.

With regards to the OT sound, I am one of those people that didn’t really like the sound engine compared to the DT (and now AR). It’s just so damn fun to play with though….

2 Likes

I have no problem with people using sample packs myself, I do it all the time, purist may turn their nose up at it but there’s very little material out there that hasn’t been used in one form or another by either established artists or bedroom beatmakers… if it sounds dope thats good enough for me I couldn’t give a flying eff what the source material is…

1 Like

thanks. Me too actually. The result counts for me when listening to other peoples beats.
Don’t know why I feel the need to justify my methods :upside_down_face:

2 Likes