The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

On that subject I think it’s worth sharing this link again which I believe I found somewhere on a different thread some time back. It’s a great source for rare and obscure vinyl tracks to sample from:

3 Likes

Nice there are a few good YouTube channels too…

4 Likes

Yeah I hate using words to describe sound and pyschoacoustics may be at play here, but the OT seems to add less ‘fuzzy crunch’ than the AR. The DT also adds some high end punch to samples compared to the OT.

On the one hand, this gives tracks less punch on the OT, but I’m also kind of starting to like it… everything sounds weirdly acceptable/good sampled into it compared to the other Elektron samplers. On the DT and AR I often find myself fighting harsh high frequencies when mixing. On the AR, it’s easy to get things sounding too crunchy, and it’s hard to get rid of that. If I find ways to dirty up the OT sound a bit when needed, it’s a winner. If only it had the AR’s distortion/overdrive…

The workflow on this thing so far is amazing to me. its so easy to sample, chop and play… just the fact you can load a drumbreak, chop it into 8 pieces in 2 seconds, and play those slices along with your samples is awesome. I know a lot of samplers can do this, but to have it combined with elektrons sequencer feels so liberating.

4 Likes

Yup, it’s absolutely amazing in what it can do. I’ll probably end up buying a third one in time :rofl:

1 Like

Just some little bits from my PO

3 Likes

Yoo just dropping in to share a beat i released today. Hope you like it! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just curious, how do you sample YouTube on the iPad internally? Is there an app for that?

two quick ones from the couch tonight on a new laptop:

6 Likes

New laptop sound gud :+1:

1 Like

I use the internal screen recording of the ipad. Then, Koala Sampler lets you import videos and extracts the audio of it.
Super fast and convenient.
Not sure if there is much of a quality loss. nothing that I would have noticed

2 Likes

Wow, thanks! I didn’t know that was poasible. That is going to make the iPad/Koala very useful to me :blush:

1 Like

Don’t know if already posted… very cool video

5 Likes

My first live set created on SP-404MK2. Quite a learning experience. Make allowance for mistakes. I’m about to integrate a Novation Rhythm into the setup and see where that goes. BTW this thread has been awesome. A shout out to all the tips and videos by fellow Elektronauts.

4 Likes

vibing to this lately… so good

2 Likes

Love this era and sound. Hi-Tek beat?

good guess, but it looks like it’s not hi tek.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, one of those unsung guys from that era. I see he’s on the J-Live All of the Above album too which is a record I’ll never part with.

1 Like

Awesome album. Great video

3 Likes

I made a little video where I went step by step through making a little beat on the Digitakt. Let me know what y’all think.

8 Likes

dope video @Doug. i was a little distracted the first time through but will check it out again. is the daily pill box part of your youtube influencer decorations, or is it just there on the desk?

your DT beats and techniques continue to impress me. your tutorials are helpful, too. thanks for putting in the work.

1 Like