The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

That’s what I thought too, defo got that 80s soul sample vibe about it…

Made some more octatrack hiphop while waiting for the results of the battle!

4 Likes

I’ve never had any herbs of the special variety, but I appreciate the compliment :joy:

1 Like

you should! very special

1 Like

:joy: well they happen to be illegal where I live…but I’ll keep your recommendation in mind

@rockpapergoat Love it! Super stank face on that one, especially once the kick came in.

@Sleepyhead Sounds great! I like the little slide-whistle (or whatever it is) sound effect thrown in there.

2 Likes

@PineappleDave thanks and great work on the beats you posted. You really have a recognisable style of your own.

@rockpapergoat Great drums on both, I like the way you make the melodic samples feel kind of elastic by having them move around unexpectedly.

2 Likes

this one uses only one sample. the rest is all played in or sequenced with my janky timing and poor grasp of musical principles. drums are an addictive drums funk kit. bass and strings are from spitfire labs free VSTs. bells are repro-5, and the hammond style organ is from the arturia analog lab v collection. vocal samples are from toots and the maytals “54-46, That’s My Number.” this one doesn’t have rc-20 or tape effects across all tracks, but there is some arturia tape mello-fi in there to warm up the drums and a few other parts.

3 Likes

i just sat down to chop this, but it might be too perfect. someone please flip this.

@rockpapergoat De La have claim:). Someone should flip it though.

3 Likes

here’s a work in progress. should i keep going? what would you do here? it’s begging for some rhymes over it, but i haven’t found the right stuff yet.

7 Likes

Def keep going! Sounds like some old mobb deep stuff. Love the drums and eerie vibe.

1 Like

Also did something a bit Mobb Deep-esque I think…

7 Likes

awesome :clap:

1 Like

Thanks dude!

1 Like

sharing this here… there are some more jungly and even a brief house interlude in this mix but for the most part this is straight lofi hip hop

2 Likes

Didn’t have the dedication to make more time consuming tracks the last weeks, but continue to make a few beats every evening on the couch, with koala on the ipad. Flipping a sample just has something very relaxing.
Like to share some sketches, nothing seriously finished. Bass is still missing here and there, these were just quick jams with koala. But I like listening back to them.

Hope you dig it, feedback always welcome.

7 Likes

Super nice chops mate, they’ve all got a really cool vibe about them…

2 Likes

Thanks mate :slightly_smiling_face:

Some more little flips.

It‘s really easy to generally grab samples, cut them up and lay some drums beneath the chops. It easily sounds good, cause the sample material usually sounds great.
But coming up with something where every chop sits in the right place, adds its own vibe on top of the sample, grooves and sounds memorable - is a really hard thing to achieve I‘ve found.
Quite often I grab and cut samples, and can’t come up with anything that feels really worthy to keep.
Making beats is easy - making good beats feels really hard. Especially if it focuses on a relatively short loop like many hip hop beats.

Just some random thoughts while uploading more demos :upside_down_face: Hope you like them :+1:

5 Likes