The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

The key detection/matching in Serato is fantastic. I don’t use Ableton so I’m not sure if it can do that.

2 Likes

Sounds Dope! I like the progression between the A and B part of the loop.

1 Like

Exploring the workflow between the AR and sp404mkII. For this one I sampled some vinyl into the 404, chopped it, and sequenced it from the AR. The AR is on drum/synth duty. In the end, everything is sampled into the AR, and then bounced through some 404 vinyl sim compression. What do you guys think?

10 Likes

Nicely done… :+1:

2 Likes

Sounds dope

2 Likes

Thanks guys!

Sounds great. Its a good division of labor too. It’s the upgraded version of the Digitakt plus Sampletrak combo that I sometimes use.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah the sampletrak is very good at this role as well, love this workflow, best of both worlds!

1 Like

Yeah, I really like that set up. I never have the Sampletrak at the end like that since I like to go through the Digitakt’s compressor. You also only get one effect at a time, unlike your 404.

Right now, I’ve got my Circuit Rhythm next to my Digitakt instead, which is a cool combination at the end of the day. But it’s not nearly as straightforward as controlling the Sampletrak.

Controlling the Rhythm is more like controlling another Digitakt since you need to send cc messages to do things like change a sample or move a start point. But there is a slice mode, so it’s not quite as bad.

I just wish there were a way to just set up pads and play those. You can do other things though. The Rhythm’s patterns are per track and you can do direct jumping. The shame there is you can’t change them over MIDI, even though it feels like you should be able to do it with a cc message.

I just want someone to hire me to design my perfect sampler. I would love it. My beats would sound the same. I’d probably still think about trying to get an Octatrack.

1 Like

I love the sampletrak even with all of its limitations. The sound is just magical to me. I did this entire album basically on your setup: DT+sampletrak:

The Novation Rhytm always looked nice to me, especially because if the portability and sequencer. It can’t do microtiming though right?

To me the perfect sampler would be a combination of the Rytm’s filters and distortion, OT’s functions and the sampletrak’s sampling sound. With great mpc-like pads to play everything of course :grin:

1 Like

It can. Just not as well. Steps break down to 6 microsteps. So you can push a sample 5 places off the grid but only in one direction, as opposed to the Digitakt, which can move a sample 23 places in either direction.

The microstep system does make retriggers more straightforward though. You can just fill them in without going through a menu. You’ve also got both positive and negative swing. You can also double the speed of a track. And the Rhythm can parameter lock start points. So it works. But yeah, it’s not the same as just moving each note exactly where you want it.

2 Likes

Apologies for lousy video due max file size.

4 Likes

Dreamin’ a more low key one

4 Likes

Sounds fantastic. Low-end knocks and everything else sounds clear, smooth, and melts together like a good bouillabaisse.

I think this could be the magic combo. I’m really looking forward to hearing more from this.

Is that synth sound a sample or from your Moog?

1 Like

Thanks for this man! I’m really diving into this combination now. I can see why you love the 404mk2 so much. The skipback is amazing and it’s so nice to chop samples on! Ever since the last update it’s a dream to combine with the AR.

The synth sound is a single cycle wave on the AR going through a nice resonant filter btw.

1 Like

sounds great :+1:

1 Like

very nice

1 Like

This makes me wonder: do any of you ever do double speed on any of the tracks on your elektron gear to double the sequencer resolution?

The resolution has never really bothered me but it’s less than most mpc’s right? Maybe timing improves if you set drum tracks to play 2x speed? What do you guys think?

Thx🙂

I change the track scale for this on the octatrack. Useful for tracks where I may not need as much resolution where I lower it so I can cram more trigs in for added variation in a single pattern. Definetly useful if you want more or less resolution like keeping whole patterns for two or four bars on a single page.

1 Like