The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Nah, for my purposes the resolution at 1x is all I need. The only time I really use 2x speed is if I’m going to do something with a lot of 1/16th notes where I also want to stack up conditional trigs.

Even on the Rhythm, I prefer to just use the microsteps and negative swing.

I basically never play anything into the sequencer on either machine. I program. I’d probably think about things differently if I was trying to record something and hear back exactly what I played.

1 Like

Yeah slowing down the speed is a great idea for longer chord progressions etc… I should think about this more often!

I’m somewhere in between playing and programming, I’ll try setting some drum tracks to 2x speed and try if it feels different.

1 Like

It has been quiet here guys! Any of you got some new stuff? It’s always inspiring to me!

Here’s my latest:

I’m diving into the AR/404mk2 combo more and more, they’re so inspiring together…

10 Likes

Next level. That sounds amazing! Love it! I think you found your sound.

1 Like

Thanks man, I appreciate you saying that!

1 Like

a short thing whipped up tonight on the couch. a drum loop and some piano chops over the top:

edit: piano chops are from two different songs. one’s more of a rhodes, and another is acoustic piano from a 70s japanese jazz track with the backing bass in the mix. the drums might be too loud here, though. condolences…

6 Likes

damn… nice and dusty. you’re going to end up mastering this combo. i can feel it!

2 Likes

Dude I love this! Super chill vibes, smooth break, and some really killer piano chops. :fire:

2 Likes

Got an SP404mk2 some days ago. Haven’t had the time to go deep with it yet, but looks really promising already… like “BFF sampler” promising.

I love the Octa, but have always found it a bit overkill for the music I love to make + some limitations are just straight annoying. Maschine mk3 is pretty rad, but in the end, is more a vehicle for soundpacks and plugins than a good sampler. Circuit Rhythm was tempting as I’m a big fan of the Tracks… but I use the Tracks mainly for my techno stuff, and find it really hard to make it swing the way I like for hiphop (even with double tempo and microsteps…). In the end, one of my all time favs is the small PO33 and the SP404 kinda reminds me of it.

5 Likes

Congrats on getting your sp! It took me some time to get used to it after years of using the older 404 models, but it’s basically fixed everything that was missing from those.

I’ve been using the ARmk2 sp404mk2 combo for a while now and they’re very complementary to eachother: the sp has easy sample chopping and great fx, and since the last update can also do poly chromatic sample playback (which works with a midi keyboard), the AR has the best sequencer out there, analog synth/filter/overdrive etc. Match made in heaven.

I’ve been using my sp to sample stuff from my phone on the couch, and then I bring it back to the studio to make full tracks out of it.

3 Likes

I did all production on a rather spontaneous 7 track EP with Dutch hiphop legend Kiddo Cee this year, they’ve just released the first track. The beat is done entirely on the Analog Rytm!

17 Likes

congrats dude! Excited to give it a listen when I‘m at home

1 Like

Dunno if any of you guys use kontakt but this just dropped, picked it up this morning cos it’s pretty cheap and n.i. libraries are for the most part excellent… It didn’t disappoint…

2 Likes

Dude sick! Love the track :fire: I’ll definitely have to check the full EP once it releases

1 Like

Awesome track, congrats mate.

1 Like

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

4 Likes

great beat. Track sounds super professional!
Beat feats nicely with the vocals.
And nice variation between verse and chorus. The piano gives adds a different mood

1 Like

Haven’t seen any Syntakt love here yet…

I’m a relative beginner, but I thought the method here might be of interest to folks: here I set up a freeze delay and record scratch effects to make a “sample” flip on Syntakt using the delay buffer and FX sequencer trigs as performance FX.

I was pleasantly surprised with the results, would love to see the technique in more experienced hands, or maybe paired with a DT… Video below cued to the outro jam, setup info before…

1 Like

this is whatever came out tonight on the couch after a really engaging piano lesson this morning. i played in all the parts except for the drums, which is why they sound so mechanical…

5 Likes