The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

It’s a really good course, the whole thing is really on point, I was sceptical about it but yeah it’s worth your time…

2 Likes

Might be a long shot, but any of you knows of beat meet-ups in Munich? I’m often there for work and I wouldn’t mind bringing my weird flavour of finger drumming …

1 Like
4 Likes

Here’s a mixtape of my beats that date back to early December. I gathered a few youtube acapellas after the beats were made - most fit, some have odd timing. Made with Analog Rytm MK2, Digitakt, Blackbox, Moog Sirin and Blooper. Hope you enjoy.

In other news, my wife is taking a History of Hip Hop course and SUNY and it’s been great getting second hand lessons in the early days of New York culture (i.e. ever heard of Grandmaster Flowers!?!). Peace.

9 Likes

I came across some old tracks I made with my MPC1K setup about 15 years ago (2007-2008). I’ll try to post them up this weekend if I can. I was definitely feeling Madlib and Dilla back then and was also experimenting with some synth stuff. Not gonna win any awards, but kind of fun to look back in a time capsule kind of a way. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Dope setup! The mpc 1k was my best friend for years. Did you also rock the jj os?

1 Like

Thanks! JJ actually gave me a free copy. I translated some feedback/requests from the MPC forums for him back when he first dropped it, so he gave me a copy. I really shouldn’t have sold my MPC (or a lot of that other stuff). 🫤

2 Likes

In case anyone missed it. This is a beat that I did for one of the beat battles. I never got around to shooting a video of it since we were doing a blind listening type of thing. But I really really like this beat so I figured I would share it on my channel. Anyway, if you missed it during the battle, I hope y’all like it.

14 Likes

Superb. My head always starts bobbing even before I press play on your tracks. Consistently great :clap:t2:

2 Likes

Thanks! I really appreciate that

2 Likes

Sad times for both his family and the wider Hip Hop community…

6 Likes

Yes man, its Wu Wednesday :pray::microphone::drum::tada:

11K Likes, 163 Comments - Wu-Tang: An American Saga (@wutangonhulu) on Instagram: "To the Wu takeover! 🥂 The first 3 episodes of the final season are now streaming! #WuTangonHulu 👐"

3 Likes

What a nice surprise. I haven’t been watching anything on Hulu recently. I wouldn’t have noticed it was up.

Also, funny thing. I uploaded one of the other tracks I did for a beat battle to my YouTube this morning. It was the one I did for the Wu battle. It’s a remix of “Black Trump” by Cocoa Brovaz and Raekwon.

It was all done on the Digitakt. Also, just thinking about gear, I can’t see a reason to do this narratively but it would be really funny if as series comes to an end, we see a reenactment of RZA’s Beat Thang demo.

13 Likes

love it!!

1 Like

That was some car crash shit, right up there with akai Dan on the timbre wolf…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Of course heard this when we did the battle but this is a classic!

With the infamous rza beatthang video, and some other lackluster rza projects, I always have to remind myself that part of what makes him great is his tendency to create his own rules, and not care too much about the way things are supposed to be done according to the culture snobs.

Some people are respected because they know very well how to appeal to those snobs, RZA more or less made some of the most revered albums by not caring/knowing that, but just by doing what he felt was good. Sometimes he likes to make things which are complete shit. At least none of it is because he tries to follow any rules.

2 Likes

Nice tribute on Benji B’s show this week from 11:40: Benji B - For Trugoy the Dove - BBC Sounds
It’s almost easy to forget what a crazy good emcee he was. RIP.

2 Likes

Good shout man, I’ll have a listen to that :pray::+1:

1 Like

Anyone watched episode 3 of the new season of Wu tang saga yet? What a trip… great episode though :+1:

Okay… let me see if I can get this into words and make sense.

So I need some advice. I am a year and a half into production, and I am now starting to get to the real work.

I am stuck on the snare being on the 2 and the 4. And it is a problem that is holding me back.

I recently wanted to make something like Southside of 808 Mafia… specifically this banger…

And the snare is doing something different… its complimenting the hihat rolls…

I have a bunch of drum sequencing books, and it mainly program the snare on 5 and 13.

Now I know you need some reference beat to give the rhythm, which is the snare.

I think the clap in Hold That Heat is filling that roll.

I would love to hear everyones thoughts on drum programming, and how to make beats that hit without being hamstrung into snare on 2 and 4 (or is that a foundational thing that must happen, just always have an element on 5 and 13, either a clap or a cowbell, or snap… SOMETHING?)

3 Likes