The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

:hushed::face_vomiting::rofl::sob:

First of all… HOW?!?

If I sampled that it would be sacrilege…

Here is one I always loved…

3 Likes

just count it out.

unrelated, my motivation to make beats has waned recently. i sat down last night to chop some soul breaks and just felt like it wasn’t gelling. hope you’re all doing well. it’s cool to check in and see people talking shop in here.

7 Likes

This is straight fire.

2 Likes

Yeah, I feel you. I haven’t been interested in making hip hop beats for a while, which is why I’ve sort of been working on other styles of music. Maybe try your hand at other music projects for a change of pace? With pandemic measures FINALLY starting to wind down here in Japan, I’ve been trying to get out more as well. It all goes in cycles for me. Eventually I’ll probably come around to making some hip hop stuff again.

1 Like

Dammit, he had me miss-clap a couple of times…:exploding_head:

1 Like

good call. i’ve been focusing on learning piano. current challenge is getting left and right hands to play the chords and melody of “satin doll” together. it is humbling.

2 Likes

I thought I’d listen to a few old Ableton beats I made from about 6 years ago, it’s been weird cos some beats I don’t even remember making :joy:
I’m thinking of transferring to Digitakt to remake em.
Here’s one I wanna remake because I could probably do more with it.
anyone from uk over a certain age might recognise the sample from a current affairs tv show

7 Likes

Sounds crisp mate :ok_hand:

1 Like

Its funny… I think you hear hiphop like I hear DnB… you just seem to know how to pull the magic out…

I can make DnB sound hard… still working on arranging of course, but I know how to make it bang.

1 Like

Cheers mate :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks that’s a great compliment.
If that is the case, I can assure you it wasn’t always that way :joy:

You’re only relatively new to it and you’re doing way better than I was in my first year

1 Like

Its just because I’m 46, and have a backgound in filmmaking… so I have editing experience, and working with sound…

Editing timecode on an avid and editing wav files in Logic is Exactly the same…

instead of visual transitions, its fade in and outs…

I think its more, that you are into hip hop like I am into DnB… Its yo jam.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty much only capable of making hip hop to be honest…
Not to say I don’t like EDM it’s just I don’t have enough of a regard of it to judge what would be considered decent.
It’s odd because the people I’ve grew up with and around, have been involved in that side of it.

My friends that I started making hip hop with were Roxy and Opus from El-b’s ghost crew, who were some of the pioneers of dubstep here in south London, I liked it but it just wasn’t my thing.

I didn’t know him but Grooverider from the D&B world lived at the top of my street in Streatham so I caught D&B early, mainly from loud volume from his bedroom window lol but again it wasn’t my thing.

2 Likes

DAmn!?! So what, they just pipe in producing skills into the water supply in South London?

2 Likes

You got Mala in Norwood too I think. South London music runs deep!

1 Like

Haha it seems to be that way for some.
Not only is El-b a pioneer of dubstep but his dad is a prolific session sax player.
He was in Ginger Bakers band Airforce in the early 70s and has played sax on stuff from people like George Benson and even on Lauren Hill’s Edutainment since then.

1 Like

Heya guys just a quick link to a vst I grabbed the other day, it’s a freemuim type thing so you can use the free version with no catch, paid version unlocks a bit more tweakability and some extra presets, found it very helpful just lately…

1 Like
1 Like

FINALLY :clap: :clap: :clap:

5 Likes